Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

The end of PS2 shipments in Japan.

Sony will no longer ship the PlayStation 2 to Japanese retailers, according to Famitsu. At over 150 million units sold worldwide since its launch in Japan on March 4th, 2000, the PS2 is the most popular home console of all time by some distance, and has demonstrated impressive staying power. It still sees occasional new software releases in Japan, despite the fact that its successor, the PlayStation 3, was released back in 2006, and a fourth home system from Sony is expected to make an appearance in 2013. There's no word on whether Sony plans to stop sales in other regions around the world, but it's clear that this marks the beginning of the end for what is arguably the video game world's most venerable console.
    Playstation 2 stops shipping in Japan

What dos this mean for FFXI, What do you think about this announcement? Will it affect the FFXI versions? If it's no longer supported by Sony will SE follow suit?
    (4)
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarick View Post
    If it's no longer supported by Sony will SE follow suit?
    I sure hope so. It was only a matter of time anyway. Unfortunately, this in itself does not mean that PS2 support will be dropped yet. Fortunately, dropping (partial) PS2 support in Europe indicates that SE are considering it.
    (3)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I didn't know it was still being sold anywhere at all. I have no idea why anyone including SE is still willing to support it.

Then again, people made software for the dreamcast long after its demise. ..
    (1)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Then again, people made software for the dreamcast long after its demise. ..
    They still do.
    (2)

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I knew Tsukino_Kaji would post something LOL. That Sig is plastered in the topic now.
    (0)
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    It's no surprise, I was amazed thought that sony has already set such a "hard" release date for their next system.
    (0)

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    (2)

Character
    Prrsha
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 67
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I didn't know it was still being sold anywhere at all. I have no idea why anyone including SE is still willing to support it.
    SE has said in the past that there are far more PS2 owners in Japan then in the states... so they didn't see any profit in making the expansion for NA PS2. It sucks for the PS2 owners here, but they do have a business to run.

Another factor was that Japanese could easily get HDD replacements in Japan so SE continued to support the console. The Japanese economy is hurting worse then the US's right now atm as well and as a result, many gamers there don't have enough money for a PC (they are really pricey there for some reason). Does this mean they will drop support for the Japanese PS2 playerbase soon after the expansion? I hope not. It would drive off a sizeable chunk of the game population. Already JPs are leaving because they don't even have enough cash to pay for the annual monthly fee for the game. I see comments like this frequently in the Japanese forums.

On another note: Is there any link to this news and the reason why the expansion is due to come out so soon?
    (0)
    Fissssh! It's what's for dinner! :9

Prrroud founder of MithraPride on Phoenix 2004.

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    The end of PS2 hardware doesn't necessarily mean the end of the PS2 as a platform

Consider the Vana'diel Collection 2008 for the PS2. It was sold outside Japan even though they stopped selling PS2 HDDs in those markets years before, simply because the game could be played on the PlayStation 3 models that were on store shelves at the time.

Scuttlebutt has Sony debuting the PlayStation 3's successor next summer, which probably means selling it by the end of 2013. If it ends up being backwards-compatible with the PS2, I'd expect S-E to keep supporting the PS2 version of FFXI simply because of that.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

A JP friend of mine has had to get his PS2 repaired because it kept crashing. The problems have since started up again and he says it's the end of PS2 for him. He asked whether he needs a powerful PC to play FFXI on as that was his next move. Just goes to show that PCs obviously just don't have the same following over there. Probably because it's dominated by Microsoft, but idk.

Maybe all we need to do is make a thread in the JP forums explaining how low-spec a PC you can have to use FFXI on, and they might all jump ship XD
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast