Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    The 20W statement is a complete fabrication. A PC consuming more than 400W is entirely possible and plausible, although probably not for FFXI.

And the point was that PCs themselves never took off quite as they did here, partly due to space issues. There's no denying that there are very simple and efficient ways around it. It's more of a mentality issue than a practical one, and sadly those aren't as easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    My point is if they're keeping PS2 support in one region (especially Japan) then they're keeping PS2 limitations in all regions.
    Obviously, but it's still a step that shows where the future is headed. If someone said PS2 limitations were removed with this update, that's clearly wrong, and sadly it wouldn't happen right away even after they stopped releasing on PS2 entirely, because it could still mean that merely newer components of the game are no longer bound by PS2 restrictions, but particularly things that are independent of the content (like inventory for example) may never be improved due to that.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Oddly enough, the death of the PS2 might be the very thing that revives FFXI.
    In case you haven't been paying attention over the past years or so, they've already started implementing improvements that only apply to the Xbox 360 and PC, or PC alone.

Dropping PS2 support won't change the fact that you're playing a PS2 emulator.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    The 20W statement is a complete fabrication. A PC consuming more than 400W is entirely possible and plausible, although probably not for FFXI.
    Sorry you didn't read my reply to the first post after that. I admitted to about 34-40 watts after testing the devices under a an active load. I remembered about 40 watts and forgot I'm not supposed to be splitting it for two devices. This still doesn't account for the laptop (browsing the web) and those two net boxes running at less then 100 watts while the game is active on both. Selective reading doesn't make you look smarter.

Wattage for a computer is relevant to power and design. Rasberry Pi seems to disagree that a computer needs to run with much draw. Here is a video of the Netbox 330i Video, Netbox 330i basic specs.. I bought them at Newegg to bad they no longer make them.

This system runs FFXI.. LOL

I've been tempted to build a basic media box using a Raspberry Pi board combined with XBMC, which has been ported to the platform. The Model A's lack of Ethernet support definitely limits the options for streaming content, though. The Model B is still incredibly inexpensive considering the capabilities, and at 3.5W, its power rating is still pretty modest.
    As said on Techreport.com

Like I said the PS2 is using old hardware in today's standards it would use even less for the same function.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Obviously, but it's still a step that shows where the future is headed. If someone said PS2 limitations were removed with this update, that's clearly wrong, and sadly it wouldn't happen right away even after they stopped releasing on PS2 entirely, because it could still mean that merely newer components of the game are no longer bound by PS2 restrictions, but particularly things that are independent of the content (like inventory for example) may never be improved due to that.
    It'd be likely they'd break the game more or need a complete rewrite of the engine to fully utilize the current technology. A lot of the code would need rebuilt from the ground up. IT wouldn't be efficient and would cost more then is worth doing.

You see how much the development has started going south since FFXIV was first released. A lot of the money gained from FFXI subscriptions is most likely being funneled into FFXIV development. What makes anyone think they'd suddenly divert that funding back into FFXI just to bring it up to today's technology?

SE decided to continue support in Japan because it had a larger user base then in the US.
    If they stopped supporting the console support tomorrow I don't think we'd see any major improvements because the original engine s just to outdated.
    (2)
    Last edited by Sarick; 01-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    But the next expansion isn't 360/PC only, unless you're talking about whatever comes after Adoulin.
    That's precisely what I'm talking about. Adoulin outside Japan was already Xbox/PC only- there is no NA PS2 release for it. If the next expansion is Xbox/PC only, period...well then, let's make it something that no longer is constrained by the PS2's now severe limitations vs. modern gaming consoles. Better graphics, improvements to gameplay and file sizes that reflect modern games, a more robust data transfer system that isn't crippled by the PS2's maximum of oldschool 56K.

After Adoulin, update FFXI to more modern standards. It's time to step beyond a 2000-era platform and restore the game.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Better graphics, improvements to gameplay and file sizes that reflect modern games, a more robust data transfer system that isn't crippled by the PS2's maximum of oldschool 56K.
    It's called "Final Fantasy XIV."

What you're asking for will require a rebuild of the game from the ground up, which is comparable to writing a whole new game from scratch.

Don't expect FFXI to get such an overhaul before EverQuest does, which I believe has been running the same graphics engine since 1999. And that doesn't run through a PS2 emulator.
    (5)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    In case you haven't been paying attention over the past years or so, they've already started implementing improvements that only apply to the Xbox 360 and PC, or PC alone.

No, but there's tweaking that can be done once you're no longer taking some of the hardware limitations into account. One biggie is that FFXI had to pack itself + expansions into the PS2 HD, which is no longer an issue if they're no longer supporting FFXI's later expansions. That gives you more room for new zones and the like that aren't copy-pastes.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There's a difference between porting the game and "playing on a ps2 emulator."

The main difference being a PC, nor the game, are restricted to a set hardware configuration. If the PS2 were completely out of the picture, they could make changes to the game that would require additional memory, for instance, because PCs don't have that limitation (and the xbox 360 has more memory than the ps2... right?). They've already done this to some degree, by including some higher resolution textures for UI elements, along with the upcoming new UI which can't be used on the consoles because it takes too much memory.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    One biggie is that FFXI had to pack itself + expansions into the PS2 HD
    The PS2 hard drive is twice the size of the Xbox 360's original hard drive, which S-E does and must support. On top of that, the PS2 version of the game takes up the least amount of space by far.
    (0)

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It's likely that SE will support PS2 access to FFXI until Sony shuts off DNAS, but I strongly suspect Seekers of Adoulin will be the last FFXI expansion to receive a PS2 release in Japan.
    (0)
    "Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Adoulin is installed but still not lighting up on your title screen? Here's what to do:
    Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account and log in, then Select Service >>> PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI >>> Add a service account (blue button) >>> input expansion software registration code.

Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkai View Post
    It's likely that SE will support PS2 access to FFXI until Sony shuts off DNAS, but I strongly suspect Seekers of Adoulin will be the last FFXI expansion to receive a PS2 release in Japan.
    If you consider it a release. I can bet that it'll be so broken that it won't even run as an expansion. To much memory corruption causing Black Screens of Death. Since they're having problems fixing the issues that have existed since the WoTG expansion (which they still haven't fixed) it's definitely not going to fix itself in the future. The PS2 crashes started happening really bad after they added the new Abby zones. These did exist before in the WOTG expansion but nothing like the issues of today.

The crashes forced me off my PS2's and PS3's. Deep down I had the gut feeling this was deliberate to ween PS2/PS3 users on to PC but there is no factual evidence to directly support it. The only probable evidence is the issues kept getting worse and it didn't appear like they was actively attempting to fix them. They kept saying it was firewalls and internet connection issues sweeping them under the rug. It's simple logic, if the first WOTG CS in the tower still crash PS2s and this problem has existed more then two years it's it kind of obvious where the priority is.
    (2)
    Last edited by Sarick; 01-03-2013 at 07:05 AM.
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast