Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

optimum samurai builds?

anyone care to share with me their understood optimum samurai builds?
    (0)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    5/5 Tachi: Shoha, stack str.
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    ehmmm helpful you are.
    (0)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    There is no build, stack STR and get a high damage weapon to automatically win the prize.
    (0)

Character
    Katairyu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    The basic builds I see are:

High Parse

High Parse means to have higher damage per hit, as well as hitting out more damage with a 100% WS. Masamune, Stack Strength and Attack. Sub is typically /WAR for Berserk, Warcry and Aggressor (extra Accuracy's always a good thing).

TP Gain

TP Gain means to gain TP as fast as possible, typically through Store TP and Haste gear and buffs, get out as many WS as possible to match High Parse builds. Sub is typically /DNC for Steps + Reverse Flourish (+60 TP or +11 TP per Step) and Haste Samba.

TP Bonus

TP Bonus is all about bumping up your WS from 100% to 300%, typically achieved through Hagun + Hagakure and performed with Tachi: Gekko or Tachi: Shoha for higher TP multipliers.

Samurai Archer

Samurai Archer is what it says on the box, sub /RNG, grab the AF Bow and stack DEX, Accuracy and Ranged Attack. Many people like to stack -Enmity on the side to help deal with all the extra Hate gotten through a combination of Ranged Attacks and Weaponskills.

Hybrid

Additionally, many people make Hybrid Builds, I opt for a TP Bonus & TP Gain Hybrid, meaning it's quick to 100% then I can knock out a 300% just as quickly but with only the 100% I built up. Or I can build up 200% and drop Sekkanoki -> Konzen-Ittai -> Tachi: Gekko -> Hagakure -> Sengikori -> Tachi: Yukikaze for two weaponskills and two skillchains, all being treated as 300% TP weaponskills.

Gear Switching

Of course at endgame I imagine there's a lot of gear switching too, I'd assume mainly to quickly change from a TP Gain build to a High Parse build and back again, combined with a piece of TP Bonus gear and Hagakure, this is probably the best way to gain TP quickly and output high yet fast damage.
    (0)
    Last edited by airsparrowhawk; 04-18-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    ~ I am the clear blue sky ~

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    @the OP - I'm assuming you're talking about gearsets when you say "builds"?

As for the post above mine -

"High Parse" - I don't even know what that is. "Higher damage per hit"? Still don't know what you mean. Are you talking about tp phase? Or ws? And isn't the idea ALWAYS to do as much damage per ws as possible?

"TP Gain" - that's your tp phase. That's when you get as close to capped haste as you possibly can while maintaining a specific hit build (in most cases a 5-hit build). Oh and subbing dnc is only for soloing or for dynamis currency farming.

"TP Bonus" - I don't know a single sam that has a TP Bonus build.

"Samurai Archer" - sam/rng is a thing of the past and only good for messing around these days (if that).

"Hybrid" - only hybrid build for sam I have ever heard of, is the kind of hybrid tp set usually seen in Legion (i.e. having -DT gear in your tp set).

Again @the OP: If you are looking for gearsets I suggest you take a look at this thread: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/36...amurai-a-guide.

Edit: Didn't even notice the date on the OP, only on the latest post, meh. -.-
    (2)
    Last edited by Tamoa; 04-22-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler
    In the FFXI universe, the down of Phoenix is so fine that it quickly broke down into a sort of dust. Smaller than dust, actually. A barely visible particle.

This down was carried by the winds of Vana'diel. Some people breathed it in and contracted Phoenix Downs Syndrome. Some of those people post on this very board.

Character
    Katairyu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Now, keep in mind I haven't played any endgame at all, so I don't know a thing about what SAM try in the endgame. I've only stated what builds I've seen and what ones seem reasonable enough to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamoa View Post
    "High Parse" - I don't even know what that is. "Higher damage per hit"? Still don't know what you mean. Are you talking about tp phase? Or ws? And isn't the idea ALWAYS to do as much damage per ws as possible?
    I was meaning Higher Damage Per Hit, yes, aiming for overall damage output in both the TP Phase and the WS Phase.

"TP Gain" - that's your tp phase. That's when you get as close to capped haste as you possibly can while maintaining a specific hit build (in most cases a 5-hit build). Oh and subbing dnc is only for soloing or for dynamis currency farming.
    I'm aware of this, but I wasn't aware you could farm currency in dynamis as a solo (I'm assuming you mean solo) SAM/DNC, are you sure that's even possible? I've heard of soloing it with a BST/DNC but SAM/DNC? Really?

"TP Bonus" - I don't know a single sam that has a TP Bonus build.
    Again, just stating what seems like a reasonable idea.

"Samurai Archer" - sam/rng is a thing of the past and only good for messing around these days (if that).
    It's not something I use at all and it seems like a waste of money to me on Ammunition and the like, but some Samurai choose to actively pursue SAM/RNG and I don't really see a general problem with it, I know it's not as good as main RNG but surely it's the next best thing right?

"Hybrid" - only hybrid build for sam I have ever heard of, is the kind of hybrid tp set usually seen in Legion (i.e. having -DT gear in your tp set).
    Prior to endgame a lot of Samurai make a Hybrid Build, hell, I'm using one at the moment. Generally speaking, many Samurai are unable to get hold of the best gear until they've gotten a decent enough Hybrid Build, a lot of us can't afford the penultimate Store TP or Attack/STR Gear and many of us have to settle for a Hybrid Build while we slowly attain everything we need for the two separate sets.

Again I'd opt for two separate builds, one for TPing and one for WSing but many people simply can't afford it or don't have the means to quest/mission/xNM/whatever it.
    (0)
    ~ I am the clear blue sky ~

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by airsparrowhawk View Post
    I was meaning Higher Damage Per Hit, yes, aiming for overall damage output in both the TP Phase and the WS Phase.
    I'm still utterly confused by this, and I mean no offense but I get the "tp in +STR gear so I hit harder"-vibe from what you're saying there. Your tp gear should always have as close to 26% haste as you can get, and then enough sTP for a specific hit build. That is your first priority when it comes to choosing gear for your tp phase. Then make sure you have enough acc to reliably hit your target, DA/TA/QA is also good, and then attack doesn't hurt I guess. However, your general goal as sam is to reach 100% tp with as few swings as possible, and not to hit for a few more damage per swing.

WS is a different thing, obviously. That's where you generally want to stack STR and attack, as well as TP bonus and DA/TA/QA (all depending on which ws we're talking about).

I'm aware of this, but I wasn't aware you could farm currency in dynamis as a solo (I'm assuming you mean solo) SAM/DNC, are you sure that's even possible? I've heard of soloing it with a BST/DNC but SAM/DNC? Really?
    A sam/dnc with -DT sets can solo EP dynamis mobs np. However, I wouldn't recommend it due to having no TH. I've duoed as thf/dnc and sam/dnc for months and we usually got 450-500 coins each run doing DC mobs, although that's an exceptionally well geared Kogarasumaru sam.

Again, just stating what seems like a reasonable idea.
    It isn't a reasonable idea. I have never ever heard anyone mention a TP bonus build ever before. TP bonus belong in your ws set (and on your weapon), it's of absolutely no use anyplace else.

It's not something I use at all and it seems like a waste of money to me on Ammunition and the like, but some Samurai choose to actively pursue SAM/RNG and I don't really see a general problem with it, I know it's not as good as main RNG but surely it's the next best thing right?
    No, it's outdated and if you absolutely have to go sam/rng for anything, then it's like I said - it's for messing around, nothing else.

Prior to endgame a lot of Samurai make a Hybrid Build, hell, I'm using one at the moment. Generally speaking, many Samurai are unable to get hold of the best gear until they've gotten a decent enough Hybrid Build, a lot of us can't afford the penultimate Store TP or Attack/STR Gear and many of us have to settle for a Hybrid Build while we slowly attain everything we need for the two separate sets.

Again I'd opt for two separate builds, one for TPing and one for WSing but many people simply can't afford it or don't have the means to quest/mission/xNM/whatever it.
    Ok so by hybrid build you mean one gearset for everything? TP and ws in the same gear? That is a HUGE no-no, it will gimp your tp phase AND your ws damage. You really don't need to spend a lot of gil to get a fairly decent gearset for both tp and ws.
    (2)
    In the FFXI universe, the down of Phoenix is so fine that it quickly broke down into a sort of dust. Smaller than dust, actually. A barely visible particle.

This down was carried by the winds of Vana'diel. Some people breathed it in and contracted Phoenix Downs Syndrome. Some of those people post on this very board.

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    As mentioned above, there are a lot of no-nos with SAM. That is, TP and WS "hybrid", and focusing on damage between WS. SAMs bread and butter is our ability to WS better than any other and to do it hard. SAM/RNG is kinda a no-no, but I ignore that one personally because it is fun. Here are what sets really are.

TP phase - Haste+26% > sTP >= and multi-hit gear > Acc/Att. Zanshin counts in that multi-hit gear portion because of Hasso-Zanshin bonus. Main focus here is getting to 100% TP as quick as you can without going too far over. 100% is better than 102% because that extra sTP can go towards some other stat, Acc/Att if nothing else.

WS phase - This is all about making your WS as tough as possible. This makes up for your lack of ATT in your previous 4-5 hits it took to get to this point. Stack STR, ATT, WS modifiers (Elemental belt/gorget/Phorcys Korazin), TP bonus. All of these make that WS as strong as can be. Then you swap back to TP to do it all again in 4-5 swings.

Defensive - Uses Seigan/Third eye to mitigate damage, as well as -P/M/DT gear. Not necessarily neglect your damage, but you won't be attacking like you were. This isn't for use when you take hate, but when everyone else is starting to die. Otherwise it is kill it before it kills you mindset.

Samurai Archery - SAM/RNG is outdated and used for fun and procs when you don't have a RNG in VW. Once you get Yoichinoyumi though, archery makes its return. Amano+Yoichi is a force to be reckoned with because /RNG isn't required. /WAR is completely acceptable!

This is just a condensed list though. Tamoa posted a link 3 posts up that will give you all the info you need. Ultimately though as a new SAM, focus on getting your Empyrean armor +2 and getting you out of pearl. That is the baseline decent armor. Then you can start expanding into the good stuff.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    Samurai Archery - SAM/RNG is outdated and used for fun and procs when you don't have a RNG in VW. Once you get Yoichinoyumi though, archery makes its return. Amano+Yoichi is a force to be reckoned with because /RNG isn't required. /WAR is completely acceptable!

Amano + Yoichi is only a force to be reckoned with under very specific circumstances, and correct, that's subbing war and not rng. I'd never ever ask someone to come sam/rng for VW procs, if you can't cap lights without rng procs then /fume is in order. Likewise I'd laugh in the face of anyone asking me to come sam/rng for that reason - or any reason.
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast