Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hmm... may be a shot in the dark, but SYN flood (or something similar) may actually be in play here.

It seems like your ISP's modem/router may be running as a simple pass-through device. I hate to even suggest it, as it would incur additional expense if it is the fix, but see if you can get your hands on a router that has an SPI firewall on it. Most any you pickup new at Walmart or Best Buy and such should have it (don't think you can find a Linksys or Cisco without it these days). Chances are, you may be able to borrow a friends router if they're using one.

The reason I suggest this, is the SPI protection built into the router is basically designed to drop all server connections not initially requested from a client behind the router. In theory, it would only let in the traffic coming from the servers you have already established connection with first as an outbound request from your private network behind the router. You may find you don't even need to use port forwarding also. I have never had to do it in over 7 years of playing the game--and I don't use PnP port forwarding either. Both myself and my daughter can be tooling around on our laptops and/or the PS3, while she face-times or tinkers on the web with her Ipod Touch over the wi-fi--and I have no problems with FFXI and no ports are forwarded to my PC. That's like 5 or 6 devices using the internet at once, and I've been using the el-cheapo's from Wal-Mart and Office Depot (my current Linksys is on clearance at Walmart for $20). I've even run uTorrent with a dedicated port-forward to it for seeding (it's the only time I actually port forward, just for torrents).
    (1)
    Last edited by RAIST; 05-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Superguppie
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 98
    Hmmmm, not quite sure what you mean.

From your description I get the impression the thing the SPI firewall does is cut incoming connections.
    I am not using any port forwarding already. So, as far as I can tell, no incoming connections are possible.

What I can see in the web-interface of the modem/router makes me think it has functions for routing, firewall, intrusion detection (probably from the WAN, not the LAN) DMZ, PnP IGD, Port forwarding, and some things that are useful for services on the LAN. I am pretty sure it also does DHCP. Not sure about DNS.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion. I may look into it.
    For now I have opened an issue at tech support, as SE_Chris suggested. Also, I have made a trace with Wireshark from the things that happen on the POL viewer on the laptop. A colleague of mine is willing to help me analyze it. I hope that will show something.
    (0)

Character
    Superguppie
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 98
    Reporting back....with a solution.

It turns out the ZTE H220N has a built-in firewall that is not very friendly. I have not even been able to turn it off. Nor would I recommend it. From what I can see, the firewall is mostly doing an ok job. Although, with good protection on your computer, it shouldn't be needed.

So, what I ended up doing is give my XBox a fixed IP address. That's on the XBox itself, under Network Settings. I wrote down the subnet mask and default gateway from what was already automatically obtained. Then set it to Manual, and entered an IP address with the last number 201. (That's quite a bit higher than what was already there. But still within the same subnet.)
    Then in the router, I put that IP address in the DMZ. That's under Application, DMZ. Just turned on DMZ, and enter the IP address I gave the XBox.
    Then I turned off XBox and rebooted modem. XBox back on.....and tested it for just over an hour.

I'll do a longer test tomorrow. But being on for more than 35 minutes already makes my day good.

I hope this will be of use to anyone with the same problem.
    (0)

Character
    Quirinus
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    I hate to bump a dead thread but im getting the error ffxi 4002 and pol 0512. I am on Xbox and have set it up under DMZ and still Disconnects after 3 min or so. I have also opened ports 1024-65535 TCP and 53, 50000-65535 UDP. I have Att Dsl and just got a new modem (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and Router (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Im on a wired connection. Please help.
    Edit: it must be my modem I direct connected to my xbox and had same problem.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aimless_Gamer; 08-23-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2