Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Personally I've used several different weaponn DDs in legion, including 95 Rag, 95 Apoc, 90 Ukon, 99 h2h relic, 99 relic RNG, 99 Masa, 99 amano, OAT GS etc. And in general, Rag(not even 99 rag, just 95) has highest performance on top of able to 2hr zerg.
    It's ahead of almost all others in any other event as well. It's simply a damn good weapon for one of strongest (if not the strongest) weapon skill in the game. Ragnarok DDs will out-damage most players in most events.

I fail to see why enemy crit-hit%- and that high evasion/def is needed in this event, it simply makes certain weapon stand out and that's it. It doesn't suddenly make this event "hard", or your DD suddenly more "elite"(a 95 rag isn't more elite than other weapon no?), it just make the gap between DD jobs even bigger.
    I don't disagree with that, I don't know why they went for that.

As for legion specific gear set, generally I will ask SCH to have macc stun set+Impact(ideally need 500+ enhancing/healing/nuking too, but I'd be happy enough if they can stun), [..]
    Enhancing I can understand, but is not necessary at all. Combined with Haste, the magical Haste cap will be reached with about ~420 Enhancing skill, which can be easily obtained by just using Light Arts and some gear. Any more Enhancing Magic skill is only good for Regain, which is rarely an issue unless you have a specific Store TP set for it and Regen, which is nice, but not make or break.

[..] DDs for PDT- MDT- set, and will ask them to tweak TP set for more accuracy.
    The first part is only natural and DDs should have it for any endgame event. The latter is rarer outside of Legion, but it's also not excessively important with proper buffing (BRD and COR), no more than any melee should have anyway.

I used to ask SMN to have capped or close to capped summoning magic skill too, but I don't really care anymore as SCH is the one stunning mostly and now I just ask for capped bloodpact delay-. For those ppl who is used to lower tier VW, stun set with macc, PDT-MDT- set and accuracy for DD is simply not needed. A lot of SMN also don't use Ramuh outside of legion. You can argue that PDT- MDT- set and accuracy every DD should have and not just legion DDs, doesn't mean everyone would be bother with them when you don't really need those in VW with fana/fool/temp.
    But that's the equivalent of saying that no event should require those things anymore, because VW didn't. VW was horrible designed in that regard, and the reliance on temp items to succeed was what many people hated about it, gameplay wise. I do still argue that you need the same gear for Legion as for any other endgame event, I simply don't consider "lower tier VW" to be an endgame event. Einherjar II, Limbus II, Nyzul Uncharted Area Survey all require good gear, so by that extension it's only normal to be prepared for it. When you said Legion-specific gear I thought you meant gear that's not useful outside of it, but all the things you mentioned would make people better all around, so everyone should at least try to obtain them (and some of them actually are easy and cheap to obtain, so there's hardly an excuse aside from not being bothered).

Regardless, like I said earlier, I do agree with your general sentiment, only I think number of players and reliable players are more of a bottleneck than event-specific gear.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Enhancing I can understand, but is not necessary at all. Combined with Haste, the magical Haste cap will be reached with about ~420 Enhancing skill, which can be easily obtained by just using Light Arts and some gear. Any more Enhancing Magic skill is only good for Regain, which is rarely an issue unless you have a specific Store TP set for it and Regen, which is nice, but not make or break.
    That's why I said "ideally" and don't always ask for 500+. But really, any SCH that can stun I'm happy enough ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post

The first part is only natural and DDs should have it for any endgame event. The latter is rarer outside of Legion, but it's also not excessively important with proper buffing (BRD and COR), no more than any melee should have anyway.

But that's the equivalent of saying that no event should require those things anymore, because VW didn't. VW was horrible designed in that regard, and the reliance on temp items to succeed was what many people hated about it, gameplay wise. I do still argue that you need the same gear for Legion as for any other endgame event, I simply don't consider "lower tier VW" to be an endgame event. Einherjar II, Limbus II, Nyzul Uncharted Area Survey all require good gear, so by that extension it's only normal to be prepared for it. When you said Legion-specific gear I thought you meant gear that's not useful outside of it, but all the things you mentioned would make people better all around, so everyone should at least try to obtain them (and some of them actually are easy and cheap to obtain, so there's hardly an excuse aside from not being bothered).
    I thought limbus2 is pretty easy, and no, Nyzul isle uncharted doesn't need it. NNI is more about movement speed and where you should go on every floor, voice chat and powder boots, less about dealing with NM super dangerous and high evasion. I honestly couldn't think of any other event besides legion that will need to prepare before entering, everything else you can just walk in with whatever you have and still win.

I typically have BRD SV acc song+2x attack song and lock SV so every acc song would have SV, that way COR can stay Chaos+fighters. However, I still seen enough none-rag DD that doesn't cap accuracy. In that regard, Rag is pretty failproof. Some of the gears such as acc or macc is just not needed everywhere else(acc may be needed in prov, but again, not everyone ever did prov or care about prov performance). Even if you think carrying it makes you better all around, but majority of player isn't going to be bother with it if other event you can win without those, especially when many player have multiple jobs nowaday and SCH DD SMN may just be one of them out of many.

If certain player doesn't want to bother with certain gear set just for legion because they can win every other event without them, I can't really give them lecture and ask them to "improve". Not everyone play the game to do work so they can win hardest event in this game. A lot of the time when I ask certain player to skill up/get gear for certain legion job or lv certain legion job, their first reply is that they're out and would rather not do it, even if the reward is something they may need.

Many other event, such as VW, Nyzul, dyna also offer reward that's not worse than legion, but requires less work on your skill level/gear sets. Thus there aren't much incentive for average players to do legion instead of dyna and Nyzul IMO.

Games have been pretty friendly to casual players for a while, stressing stuff like dealing with points and lotting rule, gather at set schedule every week, or work on skill/gear for event isn't for everyone, sadly.
    (0)

For gear sets, speaking specifically about SCH, you have to have the thunder magic accuracy magian staff, and tons of dark skill gear/magic acc, and have dark skill skilled up to almost be able to reliably stun the mantis and other mobs with instant death moves in Legion.

For WAR, which is the best DD, 99 Ukon is the best weapon for everything except mighty strikes zerging (Conqueror) and when mobs have a big -critical hit rate% trait (Ragnarok) Making a relic for 1 event is not really something most people want to do, and I agree that it's a bit stupid, but whatever, thats how the games always been and theres no way SE is going to change it.

For overall melee TP and WS sets, any decent DD needs a set with more accuracy in it than whats required for fodder mobs, there are things these sets are useful for besides Legion. Like any VW monster thats a higher tier than Qilin.
    (0)

http://www.twitch.tv/wish12oz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/r5n/videos

Character
    Mahoro
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by wish12oz View Post
    I have some problems with your statements, mainly that you think Rex and Gallu have the good drops.

While it's true they drop body abjurations and meteor/arise, the truth is you cap out on that stuff very, very fast. The good drops are L feet, L head, C feet, Ormulo Ingot and Duplus grip. And if you have any amount of people that want any 1 of those items, I assure you that all your mules will have meteor, arise and body abjurations before you finish those drops.
    I find the number of people who want Wurrukate Boots and Ngen Seraweels in my two groups more than justifies the mobs even after people cap out on Meteor/Arise/Honors. And even after capping the latter, they are still worthwhile drops to liquidate.
    (0)

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Reward wise, legion is actually pretty balanced IMO. The fact that Gallu/Rex on wave 3 has 100% drop slot pretty much offers good reward for more effort.
    Which ? And for what job ? The entire thing looked like "a pile of worthless crap or sidegrades in certain situation that never happen" kind of gear, when they released it. Meteor and arise serve no purpose in the game and if you ever want some they cost 5 M at bazaars (2 dynamis run farming if you suck).

The only reason I don't do it is because the drops are crap. The event seems to be an excuse to make arise/meteor drop or skilling up crafts. If SE wants people to have interest they need to give great stuff for every job first, which you don't seem to emphasize in your post. Aside from that I entirely agree with the other parts. However I fear that the incoming embrava and PD nerf is going to end up in a trivialisation of the event such has displacers for voidwatch.

Another threat is going to be the new salvage gear probably (both because of quality and player friendly environement).

Let's be honest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahoro View Post
    I find the number of people who want Wurrukate Boots and Ngen Seraweels in my two groups more than justifies the mobs even after people cap out on Meteor/Arise/Honors. And even after capping the latter, they are still worthwhile drops to liquidate.
    job ?
    (0)
    Last edited by MarkovChain; 10-06-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Character
    Mahoro
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    Which ? And for what job ? The entire thing looked like "a pile of worthless crap or sidegrades in certain situation that never happen" kind of gear, when they released it. Meteor and arise serve no purpose in the game and if you ever want some they cost 5 M at bazaars (2 dynamis run farming if you suck).

job ?
    The jobs that can benefit from them (i.e., not MNK).
    (1)

Player
    Iaso has the best cure head & feet (bar a pair of perfectly augmented Zenith Pumps +1) in the game, along with a well rounded body.

Spurrina has one of the best nuking bodies in the game, not to mention the best Enfeebling Feet.

Huginn has a great Upheaval body, and some great TP/WS feet.

Tenryu(MNK can use) has a good head piece, a decent body piece, and the feet are good for TP/WS on certain jobs.

Then finally is Khepri, another set for MNK. This has the best WS body in the game for MNK so far as I know when Impetus is down, a great STR+15 and +5% WS damage, easily beating out any other options, along with the feet being amazing for RNG, having Snapshot & a ton of both Ranged Attack & Accuracy with some good ol Enmity down.

Moving outside of Abjuration Gear...

Edit:Don't know how I forgot to put this in...

I think this about sums up all of the good~great Legion gear.
    (2)
    Last edited by Demon6324236; 10-08-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Most of that gear is kinda pointless as other versions exist already. The pieces that are good are very slight upgrades to what currently exists. It's an effort vs reward kinda of thing. My shell thought long and hard about making legion a regularly scheduled event, got down into tactics and job requirements. Eventually we decided it wasn't worth the hassle / headache and that our members had other events they wanted to do for gear. Most of the legion drops can be bought with gil and we do ADL payouts so members are getting gil they can use for that. The abjuration gear is pretty much non-existent right now, there just aren't enough HQ cursed items floating around to make it a reasonable goal. Maybe if / when SE raise's the crafting cap again we'll see more of them appear, also hopefully they make the materials more common to acquire since unless it's HQ it's just not worth it.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Pimpchan
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Iaso has the best cure head & feet (bar a pair of perfectly augmented Zenith Pumps +1) in the game, along with a well rounded body.

Spurrina has one of the best nuking bodies in the game, not to mention the best Enfeebling Feet.

Huginn has a great Upheaval body, and some great TP/WS feet.

Tenryu(MNK can use) has a good head piece, a decent body piece, and the feet are good for TP/WS on certain jobs.

Then finally is Khepri, another set for MNK. This has the best WS body in the game for MNK so far as I know when Impetus is down, a great STR+15 and +5% WS damage, easily beating out any other options, along with the feet being amazing for RNG, having Snapshot & a ton of both Ranged Attack & Accuracy with some good ol Enmity down.

Moving outside of Abjuration Gear...

Editon't know how I forgot to put this in...

I think this about sums up all of the good~great Legion gear.
    Not sure if serious but first unlike what you said all the MNK gear is inferior to existing pieces and except esper earring and maybe the smn leg and duplus grip the gear you listed fails. In reality when you check carefully, you will find maybe one piece of equip per job that's actually an upgrade/side grade.
    (0)

Ultimate DPS simulator
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7wbcilaHsTecldhZm94a1gtZnM/edit

Player
    Would you like to tell me what body beats Khepri in WSing when Impetus is down?

Looking at the SS in your Sig, you seem to be wearing

which loses to

in just about every way, except it doesn't have DEX, instead it has accuracy.

I really don't feel like going through each piece of gear to explain why they are good... You don't listen anyways. Suffice it to say much of the augmentable gear is great for certain jobs, and some of the drops themselves are good as well.
    (0)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast