Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Help, I can't play my job!

I'm level 97 dnc, basically I got boosted through aby with there being no other option to level (soloing just still takes way too long and nobody parties no more.)

I tried to tank a few VNMs for weapon trials. First off my damage is horrid, I'm just not doing anything to them. Second I can't keep aggro, people tell me that dnc is a tank class but I just can't keep aggro off anybody and this is mainly to do with low damage output. Third I can't stay alive, I'm losing shadows really fast and getting pelted real hard.

To say that dnc is supposed to be an awesome class that can easily solo I'm not finding that true at all. My thf is more capable of solo tanking than my dnc is. I don't know what job abilities to rotate as there's so many of them, but even so I don't get to use them because I'm having to spam steps and animated flourish to pull the mobs back to me and not always does it get me hate back again.

I don't know what to do, I'm more than convinced that had aby never existed I might've learned my job as I leveled it and not be having to turn here to ask for help on how I can survive and how I can keep aggro.
    (2)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 08-31-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    this is 100% troll post

100% fitting for the official forums
    (16)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    No, I am not trolling. I need help, seriously.

I got all the way to 99, I've worked hard trying to get gear and to work on my empy, and now I've hit a wall where I can't tank, I can't damage, and I can't survive. I'm in a desperate situation where I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and leveling a new job instead.

I'm not screwing around. I want to make this job work and to see it as awesome as everyone else makes it out to be, because right now it looks weak and pathetic.
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 08-31-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticleg View Post
    this is 100% troll post

100% fitting for the official forums
    Nice teamwork.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Dhragon
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Ok, I'll bite. If you aren't "trolling", how about you share what gear you use for your haste build, evasion build & merits.

Edit: Make sure to include the weapons being used.
    (0)

Do you have capped evasion and dagger skill? Also, do you have any evasion gear? My survivability is a lot higher as dnc/nin than it is as thf/dnc or thf/nin. As for the gear, I don't even have all that much stuff. Either the pieces I use are shared between thf and dnc, or they are empy +1/+2 pieces, with some other job-specific stuff here and there.

And I dunno what the hell you're talking about anyway. I usually get from 1-75 outside of abyssea in a few days myself. Is that too slow?
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 08-31-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    My gear isn't all that great, evasion and dagger uncapped. Using a mixture of charis +1 and aurore gear. Even my weapons are poor - a Kartika with +7 ATT and a behemoth knife. >< Haven't been able to find much of upgrades lately, nobody sells them and to make magian weapons puts me back in the spot where I need better weapons.

I don't know why people think I can tank in this state. They've seen my gear, surely it's an alarm bell that I'm not capable of surviving as a tank to an NM?

And I honestly don't know what steps and flourishes to rotate. I'm currently spamming quickstep, climactic flourish, reverse flourish, desperate flourish, wild flourish, fan dance, curing waltzes, presto, and no foot rise if I miss a step. Am I using the right ones?
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 08-31-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Make an evasion-path Kila (you can do this killing easy prey enemies, mostly, which can be as low as level 60), buy an Aluh Jambiya if you can afford it. That last one is a lv99 dagger, though, so you'll need two more levels. Get an NQ alcide's harness (or HQ if you can afford it), get an evasion torque, blur mantle, and scout robe or sveltesse gouriz waist piece. If you're really low on cash, you can convert some of your cruor to gil. Offer to heal people on whm when doing seals NMs in return for dnc empy seals. The Charis Tights +1 have +10 evasion, and a good amount of haste.

With those things, you should have around +60 evasion in gear, reducing the enemy's hit rate by around 30 percentage points. Also consider evasion skill merits, dagger merits, critical hit rate merits, and enemy critical hit rate reduction merits.

Most of them aren't too expensive, either. One or two items might be, but get the cheapest ones first. The evasion-path kila can be upgraded to +1 without having to spend any gil on it (at this stage, it gives you 18 evasion and 9 agility already). This trial is simple and easy, but it does take a bit of time to complete.
    (4)
    Last edited by Mirage; 08-31-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Oh cheers, I'll start investing in those. I'll go pick up a new peeler and start making another dagger. The level 99 one though is a bit out of my budget at the moment though, I'll have to make do with 2x evasion kilkas.

Working on capping evasion if I can, I've a long way to go. It's only 265.
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 08-31-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Character
    Sylow
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    (2)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast