Character
    Dnulso
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 28

Starting warrior, need some advice!

<| Hello! |>

I've recently come back to FFXI after over 6 years of being away. So much has changed, and I feel lost! I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

As the topic says, I think the first job I'm going to shoot for lv99 with is warrior. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding information that is up-to-date with lv99 content and playing a warrior. I have a handful of questions:

- What kind of sub-jobs should I level to support my warrior? Leveling? Small parties? Alliance stuff?

- How should I value stats on gear, for example str vs. atk vs. acc?

- What kind of gear should I begin trying to acquire once I'm 75+? Having just started back up, I have little in the way of gil or friends on the server yet, so the easier it is to obtain, the better. >.o;

- What will my role be in Abyssia parties? Will I be expected to pull, tank, use shadows, sc?

- Anything else I should know about starting down the War path?

- I use FFXIclopedia a lot, but its outdated often. Any sites for information you'd suggest?

<| Thank you! |>
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dnulso View Post
    <| Hello! |>

I've recently come back to FFXI after over 6 years of being away. So much has changed, and I feel lost! I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

As the topic says, I think the first job I'm going to shoot for lv99 with is warrior. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding information that is up-to-date with lv99 content and playing a warrior. I have a handful of questions:

- What kind of sub-jobs should I level to support my warrior? Leveling? Small parties? Alliance stuff?
    SAM and DNC

- How should I value stats on gear, for example str vs. atk vs. acc?
    Personally I go mainly for STR/att and if you find yourself fighting something where you're low on acc, use acc food. You'll want some DEX thrown in there, but a lot of the gear you choose will have DEX as well as STR I imagine.

- What kind of gear should I begin trying to acquire once I'm 75+? Having just started back up, I have little in the way of gil or friends on the server yet, so the easier it is to obtain, the better. >.o;
    Empyrean Armour set (+2) is a fairly good base set. Brego head and hands and a Goading Belt will help to cap haste.

- What will my role be in Abyssia parties? Will I be expected to pull, tank, use shadows, sc?
    Proccing. Level all of your weapons up in skill. The higher the better. (you can leave out axe)

- Anything else I should know about starting down the War path?
    If you're really serious about WAR, you'll want a Ukonvasara

- I use FFXIclopedia a lot, but its outdated often. Any sites for information you'd suggest?
    Bluegartr tends to be better for the more recent stuff.

<| Thank you! |>
    You're welcome
    (3)

My Allegiance? I'm usually on whatever side Zordon is on
    Character
    Alpheus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I tend to lean more to mage jobs but I can answer some of your questions. And sorry long post.

To the question regarding subjobs, Samurai is the subjob used the most by WARs as its job traits and abilities that you get from subbing it are very complimentary to WAR's needs. However early on WARs do tend to sub MNK until SAM is avilable. Just as long as you aren't subbing whm or blm you should be fine for GoV burns.

To the question about gear Pre lvl 75 nothing stands out minus mainstays like Hauby, AF1 feet and the like. You can totally get away with using a WAR equip guide on FFXIclopedia to give you some idea as to what you should aim for at various lvl intervals. The thing to keep in mind though especially if you are lvling using GoV, is that these intervals are shorter so you can skip certain pieces of equipment since the speed at which you lvl render them obsolete in a few lvls when something superior opens up. I would advise looking through such a guide and taking note as to what stays useful the longest and aim for those pieces of equips or their alternatives in order to save gil.

I would advise that as soon as you get to Jeuno ( as early as you zoning to Jeuno to get a choco license) you start the Abyssea Questline by talking to the Abyssea NPC in Port Jeuno and then continue on your way to 75+.

Once you are 75+ you are ready to lvl in Abyssea. In a exp party in Abyssea you are simply expected to do damage however that damage might not be much until you are situated quite a bit in Abyssea. Utilizing Atma combos allows you to deal greater and greater damage. Using atmas require you get Zone clears from each Abyssea zone as well as defeating the NM that provides you the atma. Acquisition of atma leads into the main role that WAR plays in Abyssea, red procs.

Proc'ing red on a NM grants you that NM's Key Item as well as their atma (if they have one to give) upon its defeat, Red procs also inflict the Terror Status Ailment on the NM for 30 seconds. Red Procs are by and large a WAR's job in Abyssea when you are on a Atma run or farming Key Items to pop some of the more harder NMs due in part to WAR's large repertoire of Weapon Skills which are used to proc red. As such, as a WAR you will be expected to have skilled up on weapons other than Great Axe to proc red on NMs. (Check FFXIclopedia for a full listing of WS procs by searching for the term "Weakness Targeting")

As for the gear you should aim for post 75 you cant go wrong w/ WAR Empryean Armor (AF3) you will want to aim for the +2 versions of each piece. Since you are a player starting over again I would strongly recommend you make getting this set your goal post 75. It is not the end all be all of WAR sets far from it, however it will see you through until such time that you do get far more rare pieces of gear should you so choose to do so.

NMs to note for Abyssea:
    Briaeus- Megaboss for [A] La Theine Plateau
    Glavoid- Megaboss for [A] Tahrongi Canyon
    Kukulkan - Megaboss for [A] Konstacht Highlands
    Cirein-Corin - MB for [A] Misareaux Coast
    Itzpapalotl - MB for [A] Attowha Chasm
    Sedna - MB for [A] Vunkerl Inlet
    Resheph- MB for [A] Ulegrand Range
    Bennu- MB for [A] Altepa Desert
    Amphitrite- MB for [A] Grauberg

Other NMs to note:
    Ironclad Pulverizer- Grants Atma of the Razed Ruins: Dex+50 Crit Hit Rate and Damage+30%
    Bukhis- Grants Atma of the Sanguine Scythe:HP+20% Crit Dmg+30%
    Eccentric Eve- grants Atma of the Voracious Violet: 2TP/tick Regain, STR+50 and Dbl Atk+10%

There are many more things to get done in Abyssea but I am simply providing you an overview. Best of luck in your endeavors.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alpheus; 07-30-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: razed ruins read as smiley +50 >.>

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    SAM sub will work from Lv1 to Lv99. DNC is sometimes used to help at lower level parties, but I can't at all recommend it past Lv50.

Haste and Double Attack are easily the most important stats to have, as well as Store TP up to a certain point (this depends on your weapon delay and your SAM sub level). There are rather cheap options available in the late 70s, especially the Perle set which you should most definitely get. Before then there's not much of either, but as was said before, gear should really not concern you much at lower levels. As long as you keep your weapon up to date you can be almost naked in the other slots.

As for Abyssea, you may have a hard time farming seals as WAR (seals are used for empyrean armor), especially if you don't have many friends in the game. If it's an option for you, seeing how you're still rather low level, you may consider levelling another job first. WHM, BLM and THF are all basic jobs and highly sought-after for seal farming parties. Neither of them requires much effort and aside from BLM they're also pretty cheap.

And fyi, when people say "proc red" what they mean is to use a certain weapon skill to stagger the mob. It's a new system introduced with Abyssea and I recommend you read up about it as it will be crucial to your role as WAR in Abyssea (red and blue weaknesses are especially relevant to WAR). See the wiki page for "Weakness targeting" for further information.
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Dnulso
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 28
    Thank you for all the feedback so far, it has been very helpful!
    (0)

Character
    Tamarsamar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 95
    Until about level 50 or so, use Shield Break.

Sturmwind is nice if you want to clear that last chunk of HP the mob has to end the fight, but more than 95% of the time, you'll likely be wanting to use Shield Break. An effective +40 Accuracy is nothing to scoff at, particularly in the early levels.
    (0)

Character
    Mathieu
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    SAM sub will work from Lv1 to Lv99. DNC is sometimes used to help at lower level parties, but I can't at all recommend it past Lv50.
    Samurai really doesn't work very well at lower levels. The skills people sub Samurai for don't really come into play until level 50 and 60. Store TP, Third Eye, and Zanshin help, but they are weak compared to what other subjobs offer at those levels.

If you want an easy subjob for those early levels, go with Monk. It's a whole lot more effective than Samurai up until Samurai starts giving its better toys. Monk also is very easy to level up and doesn't cost much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamarsamar View Post
    Until about level 50 or so, use Shield Break.

Sturmwind is nice if you want to clear that last chunk of HP the mob has to end the fight, but more than 95% of the time, you'll likely be wanting to use Shield Break. An effective +40 Accuracy is nothing to scoff at, particularly in the early levels.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. Once you have Sturmwind, Shield Break is a niche weapon skill that it likely only going to be used when doing level capped quests or when you get into higher level content. Shield Break just doesn't help since 95% of the time to when leveling up, you are going to hit nearly 100% of the time without it.

If you are in a situation where misses are occurring frequently, Shield Break should be your go to weapon skill. However, those situations no longer are as common. You definitely don't want to spam it against enemies that you can hit easily. The damage difference between Shield Break and Sturmwind is too huge to use Shield Break as a "just in case" weapon skill.

Back before they revamped pretty much everything, Shield Break was a lot more important in early levels. However, between rebalances and increasing experience on low level enemies so IT weren't the only viable leveling mobs, a lot of the reason why Shield Break beat Sturmwind no longer exist.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
    Samurai really doesn't work very well at lower levels. The skills people sub Samurai for don't really come into play until level 50 and 60. Store TP, Third Eye, and Zanshin help, but they are weak compared to what other subjobs offer at those levels.
    Not many jobs matter at lower levels at all. MNK and DRK are both better DD options than SAM at lower levels, but personally I don't think it warrants leveling either of them up before you have will switch to SAM for higher levels anyway. The rate at which you gain EXP is too fast that worrying about miniscule damage upgrades during that time is worth it. But I guess it depends on what you wanna play like. If you wanna be the best you can be at any time, then go for MNK at first, switch to DRK at Lv30, then to SAM at 50.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Grievor
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Necrobump! Couldnt find a more suiting thread for my question. Now im not stranger to DDs (Being a drk and thus skills are up.). I take war semi-seriously but not so seriously that im looking to go out of my way to pick up gear. Now i need to ask for Ukko's/Raging, Between a fiew pieces of my gear im undecided on.

Body;
    Twilight Mail
    (+15 to all stats, +25 acc)
    Or
    Kirin Osode
    (+10 to all stats, Augment; +2% critical rate +6 accuracy +3 dualwield)

Leaning toward Twilight, but 2% critical rate overhead is nice.

Legs;
    Dux Legs
    (+7 Str +11 attack, -4 PDT)
    Ravager's Cuisses +2
    (+15 attack, +5% double attack)
    Byakko's Haidate
    (+15 Dex, Augment; +5 AGI, +4% Crit Damage, +4 STP)

Tougher call but thinking Byakko's, Currently using dux.

Feet;
    Hecatomb Leggings +1
    (7 STR 4 DEX, Will aug 4 str in sooner or later)
    Ravager's Calligae +2
    (I know Crit dmg boost, dont have other stats on hand, havent yet to get this last +2 piece)

Please point me in the direction i want to go with these for consistency/damage under "Average" circumstances.
    (0)

Player
    Body: Grim(+1) > Twilight > Osode if you don't need accuracy, use Twilight if you do
    Legs: Avant+1/War Cuisses +2 > Ravager+2/Dux > Byakko's, Ogier's if you need accuracy
    Feet: Calligae+2

Assuming you can't get NNI gear
    (1)
    Last edited by Neisan_Quetz; 09-24-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast