Hybrid View

Character
    Lynwell
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Camera issue with controller

EDIT: Resolved it finally. Found a setting in-game that had the keyboard on 'compact 2' by default. Set the keyboard back to full keyboard and everything was normal again.

Its been about little over two years since I've played FFXI, so still getting use to the controls again. One thing I noticed that is different now on PC controller (using a logitech) is when your moving forward and hit cancel, say for removing a menu or shortening the chat, the screen stutters. I realized in a couple of minutes that it is now a camera lock button (when held down) on top of being a cancel button.

Is there any way to turn this (manual lock) off? I looked all through the configs in-game and out coming up with nothing. It really is rather annoying to have that stutter whenever I try to quickly exit out of menus or slim down the chat.
    (0)
    Last edited by ShoLin; 06-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.

FFXI Config should allow you to assign what you want on the buttons. If you've done that already, it may be an issue with the actual controller. I've noticed some of the third party PS2 controllers will sometimes register extra button presses on the shoulder buttons and such (like it'll tap Triangle briefly or something weird like that). You can go into pcontrol panel and open the Game Controllers snap-in to test your buttons and such through the properties screen. If you notice anything out of whack, you can try to recalibrate it (settings tab)--but there may not be much you can do if it's something actually wrong with the controller itself.
    (0)
    Last edited by RAIST; 06-25-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Lynwell
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Thanks for the reply. I did notice there are more options at the bottom of the list for combo-button set ups, I guess for controllers with less buttons but none of it was checked for anything. While I couldn't find your control panel test through windows (I'm on win7 64 if that makes any diff) I tested out the controller on various games and it worked normally as before.

What puzzles me is the Logitech Rumblepad 2 did not have this issue when I played the game years ago, same exact controller in fact. Also I do not remember there ever being a held-down camera lock button before, so that is what led me here assuming there was a way to turn it off if it was a new addition lol. I'll toy with the new combo-button options I guess and see if they are set on something its not showing.
    (0)
    Last edited by ShoLin; 06-25-2012 at 03:47 PM.

It's nested in the control panel, in XP it's Game Controllers...but you can get to it by just running joy.cpl from the run line (search line in Win7 should pull it up). Highlight your controller in the list and click the "Properties" button. This should pull up a panel with a testing tab and a settings tab. Settings tab has a calibration wizard, and testing will show a button layout with icons that "light" when you press a button and such. This will show you what Windows is actually interpreting for your key presses.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Lynwell
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I did the test and everything came up normal. Good to know the controller isnt the cause, but still left with wondering whats going on. I messed around with the combo button lists in the ffxipad config and didn't change anything to my problem. Apparently the cancel button just acts as a camera lock by default now when its held >.<. Either way thanks for explaining the process for the test.
    (0)