Questions from a returning player

Alright, no one probably remembers me. And it's best they don't. Now that I've gotten the unnecessary reintroductions out of the way...

Hello! I have just returned to FFXI with the intent to take care of some minor issues involving OCD and not being at top level. As part of the required test protocol, I have a couple of questions. Oddly, neither of these are necessarily related to returning.

1. Xbox 360 version. First, don't tell me to go PC or don't play. I've always run two accounts, one on PC and one on Xbox. My issue stems from the fact that I seem to have lost my disc for the 360 somewhere. I blame this small child that's disorganized my organized chaos.

Anyways, I want to buy a new copy. Sadly, this does not seem possible. Stores like Gamestop and that don't take used copies (Because of registration codes) and the last edition that got released was like 2007, so they didn't have new copies.

Searching online, it seems most of the editions of the version that was released when WotG came out are selling used for like $40. That was the version I had. But I also see the version before that, with all the expansions before WotG for like $17.

My question is, because I had the version that had everything up through WotG, would I be able to use one of the older editions to play? I'm about 99% certain that the game is still loaded on the system so I'm not worried about the install. I just want to be able to play the game on my Xbox. Of course, I guess I really should check the install.

If I have to have the version I had, anyone got any recommendations on where to go that won't be charging me like $40+ to buy the disc without a code? (Hint to SE: Put the full game on XBL!)

2. Is there any way to change names yet? I'd...kind of much like to have a different name. The names I used to use have fallen out of disuse for me and I'd kind of like to have new ones.
    (2)

Character
    Shadowsong
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Welcome Back!

1) I didn't look for long, but your best bet is probably eBay. I saw the most recent ffxi collection there for about 20$.
    2) Just the old ghetto way of making a mule with your main character's name after deactivating it, then reactivating it.

It may be a good time to think about starting to dual box your characters rather than use 2 systems. I hear many horror stories about xbox's glitching out and freezing like, ALL the time. Its pretty obvious that SE designs thing with a PC in mind, with consoles as afterthoughts, unfortunetly.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shadowsong; 05-28-2012 at 01:06 PM.

*punts the board* I did refresh this multiple times! Quit telling me my token expired!

Sorry about that. Anyways, thank you for the info. I just tried the method of using the unactivated name on my second account's character, and it said it was in use. I'm guessing either I did something wrong, or I haven't been gone long enough (Roughly shy of a year, on a guess.).

I'll have to look into the disc thing later. I know I can't dual box on one computer because I'm *bad* at it. Technically I'm bad at doing it with two systems, but that hasn't managed to stop me yet. If all else fails, I can install it on my laptop. Hesitant to do that in case I actually get into events where they want me to use voice chat. At least for now, that's a no-go so I should be safe. I heard the Xbox version had gotten better though. One friend told me that the game didn't lock up when Besieged ends anymore!

Thank you for the help.
    (0)

Character
    Shadowsong
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Now that I think about it, that mule trick may only be viable when server swapping (making a mule on the server you wanna go with your name, then transferring), but I may be wrong in both cases lol
    (0)

As long as you have an FFXI disc in the drive that is from your region, it doesn't matter which disc it is, so long as all the expansions are installed. But if you break your install and have to reinstall, you want a disc with all the expansions up to WotG, everything else is installed when patching to the latest version.
    (0)