Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Rakshaka
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Suggestion for Developers: Replace Rage/Ward system with Blood Pact charge system

In the beginning there was the Blood Pact ability. Any and all Blood Pacts made would reset the cooldown on this jobability timer. In this age, the summoner job felt very slow. Being able to only use an ability once every 45 seconds meant that the remainder of the time would have to be spent healing, or in some cases meleeing, just waiting for the BP timer to return.

Then came the age of the Rage/Ward Blood Pact division. This helped immensely with the pace of the job. Summoners were now able to spend more time than not, using blood pacts. We were no longer constrained to only doing 1 offensive or 1 defensive maneuver per BP timer. Note that, at this point in time, there were no charge systems in place for any jobs.

Jump ahead to today. Charge systems have been implemented for various jobs: Dancer (finishing moves), Scholar (stratagem charges), Beastmaster (Ready charges). These charge systems serve to limit the resources of the player, yet allow them to make their own decisions on how to use their resources. They let the player choose between offensive maneuvers and defensive maneuvers. They may decide to use both types of maneuvers with their resources, or they may choose to focus all of their resources on either offensive or defensive maneuvers at a single point in time.

I'm asking that the Summoner job also be allowed to choose between these types of tactics as well. Specifically, I'm asking that the Blood Pact Rage/Ward system be replaced with a single Blood Pact Job ability again, and that this job ability would have multiple charges (currently I'm suggesting 2 charges). I know the Rage/Ward system was extremely helpful when it first came out, but now I think that it's time to revise it again, and I think this is the right way to do it. Right now with the Rage/Ward system, summoners are forced to go the 50/50 route on offensive/defensive maneuvers; it would be helpful if they could focus on one or the other at a single point in time, just like the other jobs that were previously mentioned.

By turning the Blood Pact JA into a charge system, you would be allowing summoners to do the following:
    * Summoners that are in a purely offensive role could effectively replace a useless defensive pact with another offensive pact.
    * Summoners that are in a purely supporting role would be able to better support their parties, as they could use 2 supporting blood pacts instead of just 1, by replacing one of their offensive pacts.
    * Summoners would now have more of a place in fights that are finished extremely quickly, as they would be allowed to use 2 offensive blood pacts during the fight, instead of just 1.
    * Summoners wouldn't be unbalanced because they're still constrained to the charge system, which has worked for other jobs.

Please seriously consider this.
    Thanks for your time.
    (12)

Player
    I would suggest 3 charges, heck even up to 5(but no higher) for a few reasons:

1) We are still restricted by MP, and spamming that many abilities would be a huge strain on our MP pool.
    2) We are the most underpowered class in the game; good melee DPS can use 5 or more WS in the time it takes us to go from 1 BP to another(and do vastly more damage as well).
    3) other than our lvl70BPs(and considered our best BPs) our attacks rely on TP to do barely moderate damage(for this day and age).
    4) Our BP damage is underpowered in comparison to other DPS.
    (2)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiken253 View Post
    I would suggest 3 charges, heck even up to 5(but no higher) for a few reasons:

1) We are still restricted by MP, and spamming that many abilities would be a huge strain on our MP pool.
    2) We are the most underpowered class in the game; good melee DPS can use 5 or more WS in the time it takes us to go from 1 BP to another(and do vastly more damage as well).
    3) other than our lvl70BPs(and considered our best BPs) our attacks rely on TP to do barely moderate damage(for this day and age).
    4) Our BP damage is underpowered in comparison to other DPS.
    Not entirely true.

SMN does need massive fixes, but the previous statement in bold is not true.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    Not entirely true.

SMN does need massive fixes, but the previous statement in bold is not true.
    While that may hold true under the right conditions where SMN is able to amplify it's output, the same holds true with other jobs--and scales in a similar fashion. There's only so much that can be done to boost an avatar's output. Other jobs simply don't run into the seemingly "hard cap" with their WS and such that avatars are up against.

5 Charges may be pushing it a bit though. You could easily be spamming 4-5k BP's every 10 seconds (can go higher, note I said "easily") under the right conditions, seating all hate on your avatar and not you. Not sure SE would go for that without imposing some sort of penalty to prevent cranking them out too quick.

3 may still be pushing it even. At worst, you could be firing them every 20 seconds. If SE were to implement this, I would expect it to be either 2 charges or they would have either a longer recharge time or impose some penalty for running them back to back or something. They'd find some way to put the brakes on it simply because of how the hate system works with SMN.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Player
    I was merely comparing the damage output that SMN can do compared to other jobs of similar "hybrid" status as well as other decent and better DDs. If you compare them, the damage is so distant from SMN and the others that it's quite laughable really... Yes in a solo situation is where SMN shines the most, but in party based events SMN is rarely looked to for it's damage(maybe for it's near-hateless damage, but that's about it). so in those 20 seconds think of what any DD can do with someone who knows what they're doing with that job. You'll find that SMN will do a fraction of what a decent DD is capable of. Yes I know SMN is not a DD only class, but unless they really fix the buffs SMN can do to fortify it as a DD/support class it's quite underwhelming :<
    (1)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    I was merely comparing the damage output that SMN can do compared to other jobs of similar "hybrid" status as well as other decent and better DDs. If you compare them, the damage is so distant from SMN and the others that it's quite laughable really... Yes in a solo situation is where SMN shines the most, but in party based events SMN is rarely looked to for it's damage(maybe for it's near-hateless damage, but that's about it). so in those 20 seconds think of what any DD can do with someone who knows what they're doing with that job. You'll find that SMN will do a fraction of what a decent DD is capable of. Yes I know SMN is not a DD only class, but unless they really fix the buffs SMN can do to fortify it as a DD/support class it's quite underwhelming :<
    SMN has decent buffs, you're forgetting SMN is suffering what all Hybrid's bar BLU suffers. Because it is a Hybrid it doesn't do anything all that well.

It's not a DD, Enhancer, Healer, Nuker, Enfeebler etc.... Personally Hybrid's don't belong in MMO's, they're near 99% of the time done badly.
    (0)

Character
    Llana
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    2) We are the most underpowered class in the game.
    Hey Saiken, the Red Mages called, they said "get in line."
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    If you can't out-claim someone who's AFK, you need to find a new game to play.

Character
    Rakshaka
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I originally suggested 2 charges, because that's the closest thing to the current system that we have now. Specifically, we're able to perform 2 blood pacts every 45 seconds (currently it's one Rage and one Ward though). I would be perfectly happy with 2 charges, assuming that at some point the minimum BP cooldown time was lowered.
    (0)

Character
    Lilia
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    not a dd? @lvl 75 the avatar dmg was not bad vs ddws

but now after new ws, empweapons, new haste,str,ws dmg gear for dd and melees.....magicatt+, fast cast+ for mages....
    only the smn fight with 70/75 bps and OLD 45 sec. cap
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Llana_Virren View Post
    Hey Saiken, the Red Mages called, they said "get in line."
    except SMN is the more broken(in the bad way) job out of lets see... all of them. So it would make sense that it needs more attention to be brought up to par with the rest of the jobs.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast