Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Player
    Or I could not waste strategems on Phalanx. That being said needing at least 4 merits for the spell to be effective is annoying as all heck. More merits or the spell's base damage reduction should be changed.
    (1)

Player
    I came up with 2 more merits they could add.

Luck:Gives Treasure Hunter effect. Duration 1 minute. Recast 5 minutes. Self cast only. Spell adds Treasure Hunter effect to the player, effect is equal to 1 for every 200 enhancing magic skill, every additional merit lowers this by 25, meaning 175 per TH level with 2 merits, 150 with 3 merits, 125 with 4, and 100 enhancing magic skill per TH level with 5 merits.

I know many would say this is unbalanced, but when you think about it many jobs have TH now, even though this may be a bit to much for RDM, maybe start at 200 and lower by 10 or start at 250 and lower by 25 still. Either way many jobs have or are getting TH, such as BST having TH gear on the way, and possibly adding TH gear for other pet jobs as well, if this is the case I don't think it is totally unreasonable to ask that RDM may be allowed some as well, along with the fact that luck is a spell seen in other Final Fantasys, of which some had a luck stat that was effected where as FFXI doesn't, which is why I present Treasure Hunter as the effect, alternatively it could be a critical hit rate up effect as well.

En-guard:Adds an additional effect to attacks with an En-spell active. Meaning that when you use En-spells they have additional effects much like spikes do when the user is damaged. Fire=Addle Ice=Para Earth=Slow Water=Poison Wind=Silence Lightning=Stun. These would start with a 2% rate of effect with an additional 2% per merit. Meaning a capped rate of 10%.

I say 2-10% because if it was any higher then a RDM (like myself with capped haste gear, haste casted upon themself, and Haste Samba, if you are subbing DNC as I do, you have 45% haste not counting Dual Wield gear & double attack) with En1-spells active would have the ability to use these effects with a much to high rate. However if it were low such as 1-5% RDMs without proper melee builds would have to low of a rate for it to even be worth meriting. Also the name comes from the fact you protect yourself with your enspells additional effects, even though I'm sure there is a better name as my names for things always sound stupid.

I also wouldn't mind a Haste II, with 20-30% haste, 2.4% (so that its progression is 2/5/7/10) per merit, which would set it apart from normal haste massively, however it also might give the target to much haste with only 1 spell, then again Embrava exists and... yeah... well just a thought, maybe make it 15-25%. Haste II doesn't seem as likely as whatelse I have said due to the fact it would give to much haste especially stacked with Embrava, you cap magic haste I'm sure (not sure magic haste has a cap) and with how easy it is to cap gear haste, 25%+15-30%=at least 40 which we have now, Embrava is about 30, so it comes out to 70 with haste 2 even at 25% haste you would have yourself a nice 80% which is max possible -delay. Either way, way off track, thats my ideas, let me know why they don't work and would break the game. ^_^
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarick View Post
    I like category 1 but category 2 no thanks.

These two are better suited for category 2.
    • Phalanx Effect, (replaces Phalanx II)
    • Augments Enfeebling Magic

Too much stuff in category 1, Frankly category 2 is a mess IMHO.

Runic Blade would be better off as a trait that enhances magic potency and magic accuracy with a sword or dagger equiped. The main issue I have with RDM enfeebling etc is the mage needs silly staves. If the dagger/swords we use could be enhanced by a trait to make them as good or better on main hand no one would be forced to use staves on RDM again. The problem is all the accuracy and potancy lost if we equip a sword or dagger.

Come on SE there needs to be a low level trait that makes it worth equipping swords or daggers on a red mage over staves or wands. We're kinda gimping ourselves in the mage part if we have a sword or dagger equipped. Likewise, equipping a staff makes melee compatibilities garbage.
    Fair enough.

Was trying to do them the way SE originally planned, buffs that you choose based on your style of play, so went half Melee, half mage.

With Category 2 being new spells/JA's.

Would be better of doing what you suggested for Runic Blade as a new trait with a different title, even MAgic Fencer suits it more.
    (0)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hideka View Post
    phalanx II is horrible >_> if your in a situation to phalanx II someone you should be /scholar, and if your /scholar you should be AOEing Phalanx 1.
    Depends. When I melee I buddy up with one front liner and follow them around, buffing them as I see fit. Phalanx II has its uses in such situations. If neither of us are taking enough or any damage I just don't bother and focus on keeping enspell/haste/temper up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    Was trying to do them the way SE originally planned, buffs that you choose based on your style of play, so went half Melee, half mage.

With Category 2 being new spells/JA's.
    Difference is that you put actual effort in presenting choices instead of a no-brainer merit and a bunch of fluff. =P
    (0)
    Last edited by Duelle; 04-02-2012 at 04:05 AM.
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3