Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New skill gain system, but has it changed much?

I'm referring specifically to guard and parrying skills here. While skilling up staff and club, I have noticed a small difference, it's now faster to get skill points, but has anyone noticed a difference in guard?

The reason I ask, is I was in TBT skilling up my guard since the update, and never gained 1 level in an hour and a half, before the update I would have got the level.

But something wierd occured while travelling through kuftal tunnel last week, while killing a single spider, I managed to get 2x 0.4 guard skill points... yes on the very same spider.

So, in relatoin to getting guard skill capped, have they made things worse or better? Yes the 0.8 on 1 lower level spider was nice, but how much have they changed the mob level:skill level ratio, or was it a fluke? And what level mobs should we be aiming for now?
    (0)
    Guarding 207 - Goldsmithing 30 - Cooking 30 - Smithing 30

Maybe it's time to stop killing mandy's...

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Uncapped Goldsmithing skills results in fewer Guard skill ups.
    (0)

Actually Musahashi, I did notice the same. And I actually did have some numbers a while ago. When the new Mog thingy "Martial expert" or whatever it was called came out, which I believe makes it easier to level up skills, I tried to go and skill up my guard, i have it laying around 170ish so I went to some mobs that are considered EM, T+ to level up guard, and in 3 hours I didnt get 1 level up. I even PM'd a GM to ask him if there is a bug in the mog martial expert bonus, or if it doesnt affect defensive skills at all. He said he'll check with the DEV, and I never heard back, lol.
    I love skilling up guard, its somehow fun, specially when you have nothing better to do.. but not getting 1 single level up for 3+ hours is just sad.
    (0)

Player
    i'm pretty sure SE stated that there will be an update to skill up for guard and parry
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SedoSan View Post
    Actually Musahashi, I did notice the same. And I actually did have some numbers a while ago. When the new Mog thingy "Martial expert" or whatever it was called came out, which I believe makes it easier to level up skills, I tried to go and skill up my guard, i have it laying around 170ish so I went to some mobs that are considered EM, T+ to level up guard, and in 3 hours I didnt get 1 level up. I even PM'd a GM to ask him if there is a bug in the mog martial expert bonus, or if it doesnt affect defensive skills at all. He said he'll check with the DEV, and I never heard back, lol.
    I love skilling up guard, its somehow fun, specially when you have nothing better to do.. but not getting 1 single level up for 3+ hours is just sad.
    You must be doing it wrong. First off, make sure signet is on while Martial Master is one of the kupowers. Next, go get all the + guard skill you can get. Then grab yourself a rdm with phalanx2 (whm/rdm works too, but phalanx is o so nice) and head to the boyadha tree. Have at least 6 mandies hitting you at once and have yourself attacking a far off mob so that you don't kill the mandies off too quickly. You should get AT LEAST 3 levels an hour. I did anyway.
    (0)

Character
    Sakima
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Go to Abyssea-Altepa conflux 6 grab a whm or rdm and gather the mandies up watch out for cuji
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakima View Post
    Go to Abyssea-Altepa conflux 6 grab a whm or rdm and gather the mandies up watch out for cuji
    don't pay attention to this guy. at your current guard level you aren't going to proc guard enough in abyssea.
    (0)

It's probably still the easiest way to level guard regardless. Throw on 3 Regen/Def/PDT atmas and read a book or watch a movie.
    (0)

Player
    it may be easy, but it's not practical. you'll just end up doing what they did... hours without a single level of skillup. Do what i suggested, it's the best method.
    (0)

Before the skill up update I would wait till Martial master was up and do the math (divide current skill by three) and aim for mobs that are that level. I gathered all the mandies in jungle that I could and watched the skill go up as mandies killed themselves on counter.

But since the update I haven't tried. I focused more on capping weapons and haven't gone back for guard yet. So I am uncertain if the update nerfed doing it that way.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast