Character
    Alerith
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Damage Reduction Caps

Ok, I have what is probably a simple question and I would just like to confirm before I start wasting gear slots.

If Damage reductions cap out at 50%:

For items like Defending Ring and Twilight Torque, that say "Damage Taken -5%", I understand this applies to both physical and magical damage.

Does that also apply to both physical and magical damage reduction caps? For example, say I have -45% PDT and I equip a Defending Ring on top of that. Does that bypass the cap and give me -55% or does it still apply and only give me -50%?
    (0)

Player
    Hard Capped at -50% for PDT and MDT. Defending ring in that case would only be giving you -5% PDT and -10% MDT/BDT, but you can change your gearset around and have minimal gains elsewhere depending on slots.

Most likely breath damage is capped at -50% as well, but I know of no one who specifically gears for it, and just wears pieces with -damage on them.
    (1)

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerith View Post
    Ok, I have what is probably a simple question and I would just like to confirm before I start wasting gear slots.

If Damage reductions cap out at 50%:

For items like Defending Ring and Twilight Torque, that say "Damage Taken -5%", I understand this applies to both physical and magical damage.

Does that also apply to both physical and magical damage reduction caps? For example, say I have -45% PDT and I equip a Defending Ring on top of that. Does that bypass the cap and give me -55% or does it still apply and only give me -50%?
    The only pieces of gear that are outside the natural damage cap is Burtgang(Mythic Sword) and Aegis(Relic Shield).
    And gear like twilight torque, defending ring, Mekira Meikogai, that german named belt, the mollusca mantle, askar feet and ogier's helm all have straightforward -DMG taken. This applies to physical, magical, and breath damage.

The Mythic sword adds more PDT outside the natural cap since it is a Mythic, and the Aegis adds more MDT outside of the cap since it is a relic(but these are recent-ish changes).
    (1)
    The one who walks the road of Twilight. Bow to no one. Defeat everything.

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    (5)

Character
    Wonderbot
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    It would have been really easy to just say that PDT/MDT/DT all cap at 50% except Aegis and Mythic sword xD
    (1)

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbot View Post
    It would have been really easy to just say that PDT/MDT/DT all cap at 50% except Aegis and Mythic sword xD
    You get specifics from me and like it!
    (0)
    The one who walks the road of Twilight. Bow to no one. Defeat everything.

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Also for clarity sake the 50% cap doesn't apply to Pets or the BLU spell: Barrier Tusk.
    (0)