Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kuraisenshi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 5

map markers for quests?

heyo dudes, ya so im an experienced gamer completed FFXIII and sequel to 100% for example but I feel like a total noobie on FFXI in that I can't find on missions the objective area.

is there a way to highlight a mission and make a map marker appear? I'm trying to find Dangruf Wadi in Bastock and for some reason the maps just seem useless, I must be doing something wrong because im wasting ages just running round south gustaburg where its located

any help how you go about finding places will be appreciated, sorry for total newb question its a weird feeling being one lolz =)
    (1)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I don't even know where to start to get the funniest anecdote about Final Fantasy XI quest descriptions and maps.

Basically while FFXI can be really fun and exciting the maps can be totally useless and even worse the quests descriptions can be worse then useless at times. So the short answer to your question is no, you'd have to manually add a marker to indicate where Dangruf Wadi is.

Fortunately for everyone who has ever played FFXI ever we have the Internet, namely our community sites. Here is a list of the important ones, learn them and love them:

Of course, I'd be remiss to just give you this list and not actually answer your original question, so here is a map indicating where Dangruf Wadi is:

Welcome to the fun and occasional frustration that is Final Fantasy XI! Don't hesitate to ask more questions, questions are good for you.
    (1)
    Last edited by Economizer; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Character
    Kuraisenshi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 5
    awesome thanks for your reply, appreicated =)

I was hoping you could unlock more detailed maps by obtaining one from a quest or buying one or something in game rather than having to look it up out of game. still works though, least I know I'm not doing something wrong, thanks again ;p
    (0)

Character
    Rallorn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 36
    Quote Originally Posted by KuraiSenshi View Post
    awesome thanks for your reply, appreicated =)

I was hoping you could unlock more detailed maps by obtaining one from a quest or buying one or something in game rather than having to look it up out of game. still works though, least I know I'm not doing something wrong, thanks again ;p
    Well i mean if you get the message "you dont have a map of x" then you can go get a map most likely, but quests wont give you specific markers.
    (0)

Character
    Kuraisenshi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 5
    i've just been taken back by how maps just seem a little too vague to me and have struggled with such a well recieved game, no quest markers fine, but even the name of some places I have to find are not stated on the map.

I guess the game is 10 or so years old so im looking at it with different eyes , it is an awesome game though im liking it more everyday ;p
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    i've just been taken back by how maps just seem a little too vague to me
    You are just gonna love Elshimo Island.

I think the maps should be thought of as something a map maker who is spending half their time engraving large stone tablets describing their particular life philosophy instead of practicing cartography would do - they're there for flavor rather then gameplay reasons and while mostly useful can be quite frustrating. Still, maps are indispensable due to their use in finding party members and in conjunction with widescan.

Much of FFXI is story first, which is one of the charming qualities of it, although it will make having a guide indispensable, at least when it comes to maps and quests. Unfortunately SE hasn't had one published in years, but fortunately the community has continuously made updated information about anything and everything in their power.
    (1)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    You are just gonna love Elshimo Island.
    Oh is he going to love it.
    (0)

You are free to mark the maps yourself, but almost no NPCs place the green map marker dots for you. Many exits from a map are not marked on the official one, leading players to post ones with more information drawn on them to the wiki sites, as you have seen in an earlier post. Someone has even edited the map files in the game to put those player-augmented maps back in the game so you have more detailed maps without having to use your web browser.

Elshimo Island's map doesn't even show paths through and under the jungle, it's pretty much there just to give you a relative location to a few things, and map coordinates. You'd need something more useful like a vector-based map for that region.
    (0)

Howdy!

While it won't be possible for us to implement this right away, we have been looking into this for quite some time. I'll be sure to let you know of any progress made as we continue to look into this feature.
    (8)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

heyo dudes, ya so im an experienced gamer completed FFXIII and sequel to 100% for example but I feel like a total noobie on FFXI in that I can't find on missions the objective area.

is there a way to highlight a mission and make a map marker appear? I'm trying to find Dangruf Wadi in Bastock and for some reason the maps just seem useless, I must be doing something wrong because im wasting ages just running round south gustaburg where its located

any help how you go about finding places will be appreciated, sorry for total newb question its a weird feeling being one lolz =)
    As a heads up for later quests /missions where you are told to find a specific NPC in the middle of a busy town, or somewhere out in an open field, unlocking the ranger or beastmaster job allows you to use the Widescan button on the map that will allow you to search all NPCs/Monsters within a certain range of you to make this easier.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast