Character
    Darkone
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

How does 1hand axe come out now days now that it has Ruinator?

Now that 1hand axe has one of the best WS's in the game how does 1 hand axe compare to GA for war? Especially with voidwatch where you have a lot of save tp and regain?

If you don't know Ruinator has ftp where belt and gorget work on all hits. So at 5 hits( 4+1 from DW) it has 6.0 base ftp, extra hits up to 9.6 ftp, 100% str mod, and somewhere around a 25% attack bonus.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorror View Post
    Now that 1hand axe has one of the best WS's in the game [..]
    One of the best? For one-handers... maybe. The damage still doesn't compare to Ukko's Fury, Resolution or possibly even Upheaval.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorror View Post
    If you don't know Ruinator has ftp where belt and gorget work on all hits. So at 5 hits( 4+1 from DW) it has 6.0 base ftp, extra hits up to 9.6 ftp, 100% str mod, and somewhere around a 25% attack bonus.
    That is the case for many of the new WS, including many two-handed WS. Also, your calculations are skewed. 5 hits means 5.0 base fTP (1.0 on first hit). With the appropriate gorget and belt, that would bring the total to 6.0 (or 5.8? I don't know if the fTP increase counts for the offhand hit as well).

6.0 fTP, 100% STR mod, 35% Attack Bonus (stats off BG wiki)

Which still sounds quite nice, before you consider the two-handed alternatives:
    Ukko's Fury: 3.0 fTP, 60% STR, high critical hit rate (even after nerf) + Aftermath
    Resolution: 8.26875 fTP, 100% STR, 8% Attack Malus

Which alone doesn't sound quite as strong, until you consider that it gets almost twice the base damage of the best axes in the game (especially ones that Warrior can use), which contributes more than STR at 100% mod, due to the alpha value.

Not to mention to use them most efficiently, you'd have to go /NIN, which offers absolutely no DD gains except for Dual Wield, whereas /SAM has higher Store TP, Meditate, Sekkanoki and Hasso (and a little higher STR). Sure, in VW you may still be able to WS quite frequently (still not as fast), but VW isn't all there is anyway, even now, and less once Legion and other events are released.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Darkone
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    One of the best? For one-handers... maybe. The damage still doesn't compare to Ukko's Fury, Resolution or possibly even Upheaval.

That is the case for many of the new WS, including many two-handed WS. Also, your calculations are skewed. 5 hits means 5.0 base fTP (1.0 on first hit). With the appropriate gorget and belt, that would bring the total to 6.0 (or 5.8? I don't know if the fTP increase counts for the offhand hit as well).

6.0 fTP, 100% STR mod, 35% Attack Bonus (stats off BG wiki)

Which still sounds quite nice, before you consider the two-handed alternatives:
    Ukko's Fury: 3.0 fTP, 60% STR, high critical hit rate (even after nerf) + Aftermath
    Resolution: 8.26875 fTP, 100% STR, 8% Attack Malus
    Where are you getting that number for Resolution? What I see is that Ukko's Fury is 3.0 ftp, or 3.2with belt/gorget, and Resolution at 100% with belt/gorget ~4.6?

Also where as Ukko's fury will only add 1.0 ftp per extra hit, and Resolution will only add .91875 per extra hit Ruinator adds 1.2 per extra hit.

Which alone doesn't sound quite as strong, until you consider that it gets almost twice the base damage of the best axes in the game (especially ones that Warrior can use), which contributes more than STR at 100% mod, due to the alpha value.
    Most likely not, you should end up with similar base damage using 1hand axes vs using GA. Lets say lvl 90 Emp GA, vs DW( STR/attack axes). You should end up with around 200ish STR.
    So for 1hand you have 200*.85 + 74 + 16 = 260
    for GA you have 200*.51 + 131 + 22 = 255
    Then for GS( lets say STR/attack) 200*.85 + 123 + 21 = 314

The more STR you get the more 1hand pulls away from GA, and the closer all be it not by much it gets to GS percentage wise.

so with GS you do get 20% higher base damage but it also has 30% lower ftp, and has(I am using 25% attack bonus since that's what my test showed) about 30% more attack than GS( since 2handers get more attack per point of STR, and skill difference )

Not to mention to use them most efficiently, you'd have to go /NIN, which offers absolutely no DD gains except for Dual Wield, whereas /SAM has higher Store TP, Meditate, Sekkanoki and Hasso (and a little higher STR). Sure, in VW you may still be able to WS quite frequently (still not as fast), but VW isn't all there is anyway, even now, and less once Legion and other events are released.
    Yes this is true they do only get DW for good DPS and shadows from /NIN, and you will get more stuff on /SAM. But you should average more than 3k on ruinator, with able to get spikes over 5k. So it may be rather interesting.

I have been using it on BST and getting very good results, I would to try it on a voidwatch mob any suggestions to really figure out how strong it would be vs other WS's? Last one I tried it against was that tier two sandy big krab.
    (0)

Character
    Akutenshi
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    With my warrior with a magician str axe and a double attack axe I usually do consistent 3600-5000 with some spikes higher with ruinator inside abyssea. I don't have a weaponskill belt either, just the gorget. For VW i'd do anywhere from 1200-2500 going sometimes higher fully buffed with food, berserk etc. I'm mostly a bst so I had the axes around and just recently leveled warrior. I also don't have any str merits either. I'm actually in the process of doing that so I'm sure the numbers could go higher. If I'm not TPing a lot either I've noticed some good results with restraint as well.

Ukko's can usually go higher sometimes and can be better with self skillchains, but the only real reason I was messing around with axes is because I had them and I just like double attack. It's kinda nice when you can push close to 50% with dual wielding axes and gear.
    (1)
    Last edited by Akutenshi; 01-20-2012 at 02:37 AM.