Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Character
    Naturebeckles
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    Aren't the reactors going into meltdown due to damage from the earthquakes as well as the power demand? If that's the case, if they put the servers back up and we were playing the game, wouldn't we only be aiding the meltdown of said nuclear power plants? :<

No. A friend of mine told me yesterday the explosions so far have been hydrogen explosions at the nuclear facility and that they were currently pumping sea water into the reactors to kill them to prevent a meltdown.
    (0)
    Level 99 jobs: THF, WAR, SAM, SMN, WHM. Haste is overrated. Ok. Not really. But that's what you all think I believe anyway.

Seriously guys, you'd complain no matter where the servers were. Japan is facing a crisis that will take years to recover from, maybe more if the reactors meltdown.

Moving the servers state side would be a bad move maintenance wise. As I said on GW, has anyone ever had to phone a NOC to get a machine repaired? I would honestly extend our current maintenance timeframes from 10hrs roughly to up to 2 days. Software upgrades wouldn't take that long, but hardware upgrades are another issue.

So please think of the bigger picture, and not just yourself. I'd be really surprised if I don't hear of some class action lawsuit being filed against SE by some idiot because of mental anguish caused.
    (0)
    Inglourious Basterds - Cultural Basterdry of Lakshmi for Make Profit Inglourious Members of Linkshell

Character
    Qtipus
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Meril View Post
    people saying " physically move things " are they *** retarded?????
    No, assume for a second all of the hardware to run this game is located in one building (probably an off-site backup). Assume for another second all of the hardware is subject to the power company's request to turn off non-essential equipment. Assume for another second still all of said hardware is subject to the rolling blackouts while they get things fixed. Said location isn't safe to conduct business from. If that's the scenario (which is likely), you're not simply going to set up a redundant datacenter w/o it being subject to the same conditions currently present meaning some sort of physical move would happen. You don't have to look any further than the recent POL hardware maint. to see that this is likely how they have things set up.

It's like someone else said earlier, SE likely has a plan and they're giving it a few days before taking action. Sorry to say, a bunch of people being able to play a video game probably isn't at the top of their concern list at the moment and rightfully so. If that pisses you off or makes you angry despite getting free service, you got bigger things to worry about than FFXI.
    (0)
    Last edited by Emdub; 03-15-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language in quote

Character
    Alustria
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Meril I will ask this before I get all defensive.... Are you saying I'm not smart enough to understand what your saying?

I do recall saying earlier that if its not something they have in place now then so be it I can understand that. I also said that if SE were talking about something that could be set up in the future, you know the whole live and learn thing, to prevent this from happening again then I am fine with that idea as well.

Getting this riled up over something that you can't do anything about has got to be bad for our health.
    (0)

Character
    Meare
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturebeckles View Post
    There is a reason that person is on my ignore list, Meril. I suggest you do the same. I'm hoping for the best too. Aside from the horrible disaster over there, the original poster does, in fact, bring up a lot of valid points. And if SE wants to save themselves financially, they would be working on a contingency plan as we speak to get things up and running again. As one of my friends said (heartless, I know, but true and funny), the people whining about not playing aren't the people you want to ban from the game. It's the people who tell us whiners off and go play other games. Because at least SE can guarantee that us "whiners" will be coming back to play!
    I don't think that SE is going to crash and burn financially because their servers are down for a month. People will come back.

Stop trying to spread alarm and panic. You're not helping the situation at all.
    (0)

6. 03-15-2011 04:36 AM
    Reason
    Content was edited by Moderator due to violation of Forum Guidelines.

Character
    Meare
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    And yet you continue to read my posts. I'm not really concerned with you reading my posts, actually. I just want to make sure others don't believe your nonsense.
    (0)
    Last edited by Emdub; 03-15-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Removed previously deleted comment from quote

Character
    Merils
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    no kindra, just wanna focus on the facts, and future. from a buisness perspective. but yes, they should have ahd a backup plan in ANY case! its just responisble buisness for a company that sees 6M + in revinue off 1 game alone in 1 month...
    (0)

Character
    Meare
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Meril View Post
    no kindra, just wanna focus on the facts, and future. from a buisness perspective. but yes, they should have ahd a backup plan in ANY case! its just responisble buisness for a company that sees 6M + in revinue off 1 game alone in 1 month...
    Their backup plan is to shut the game down to conserve power in Japan because everyone in their country needs to conserve power so they have electricity for emergency services.

I think this is a good plan and I fully support it.
    (0)

Character
    Darrka
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    Its not 6M revenue, it's tax deducted, at least a third has to cover the servers costs, and lets not forget the employee's salaries, whatever profit they make is going to future content/updates, there's not enough to host back up servers on top of that, lets not forget the water cooling and electricity costs either.
    (0)

Dear SE, can my character be black? I find this pro-white to be offensive.

Character
    Merils
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    AGAIN
    for a company that provides serviceis to 6 CONTONENTS .... there backup plan shold NOT even have to DO with JAPAN!
    (0)

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast