Thread: DNC tanking

Character
    Sappho
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Yes, Evasion skill = Evasion <= 200, after that 1 Evasion skill = 0.9 Evasion. In any case, Evasion > Evasion skill.
    Thanks, Arcon.
    (0)
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    ~ Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Deadvinta, where'd you get that signature image?
    Pretty cool.
    There was a thread with its template posted a few months back. If there was a PM system I'd upload the template and send it to you.
    (0)

Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    One thing I love doing with my DNC in abyssea is burning using Aeolian Edge. My atma setup is geared for MAB (Plus Gales for wind attack bonus), and with fan dance up it's not that difficult to survive a number of mobs beating on you. 20% PDT (Its lowest amount after getting hit a few times) goes a long way, especially with a few other easy to get PDT items like Twilight Torque.
    (0)
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Character
    Browolf
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvinta View Post
    No Dancer should mind not being able to use Sambas. I personally hate Tanking or gearing for Evasion on my Dancer, but if it comes right down to it, I'll pop Fan Dance and sit there throwing Waltz bombs til we get the main tank back up.
    I never use fan dance. Evasion gear has it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Dnc has tons of evasion. evasion is > evasion skill. And we get many tiers of evasion bonus in addition to the merits on closed position. In fact 90% of the time i see DNCs overkilling their eva and killing the mob waaay slower than they should be.
    Since tanking is a combination of survival & damage, not enough damage *was* a problem until I got occasionally attack 2-4 dagger. That makes a big difference! Then you can fill up on crit/damage atmas.
    (0)

I stopped my oa dagger at 2-3 because i never use it. Most of DNCs dmg comes from DoT and the dmg and delay on the oa2-4 is pretty bad. In addition the loss of 9 agi and 20 evasion in 1 slot is very noticable and when it brings you below cap. I find dnc's tp gain to be more than enough to spam WS even w/o an oa offhand, and tend to tp faster than i can cure waltz 3 spam as well.

About fan dance, yes its true people tend to overuse it and reduce their damage outputs, there are strong uses as well. First thing that comes to mind are the TP moves that deal a set % of your HP like the NM scorpions have. Why eat a 2500 dmg move when you can drop it to 250? If mob doesn't do something like that, haste samba of course.
    (0)

Character
    Soranika
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    I don't really get multi-hit weapons since double attack does not work on those weapon and unless I'm wrong, doesn't haste samba only work for the first hit of those weapons but not the additional ones?

I know for me, until I get either a twastar or one (or both) of the daggers from Qilin, I've been sticking with Phurba and Oynos knife on off hand, using Pyrric Kleos + Evisceration for self darkness skillchain as my form of WS damage. TP gain is fast enough, double attack is frequent and delay doesn't really effect the flow to much unless double attack doesn't activate.
    (0)
    Main Job: SMN95 <Hvergelmir 85 obtained 9/10/11>
    Side Jobs: WHM95 DNC95
    Gimp Jobs: SCH95 NIN95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimikryo View Post
    If waiting 15 minutes is such an issue to you, I hope you never get stuck in public transport or in an elevator. You probably will go insane.

Haste samba works on all hits, it's Enspell II that doesn't work on multihits.
    (0)

Character
    Sappho
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Soranika View Post
    I don't really get multi-hit weapons since double attack does not work on those weapon and unless I'm wrong, doesn't haste samba only work for the first hit of those weapons but not the additional ones?
    I watched a RDM/nin in campaign a couple years back who was soloing with a joytoy and a kraken club and it was a pretty amazing spectacle.
    (0)
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    ~ Elvis Costello

Also as a Dancer your double attack rate is about 10-15% from gear, which isn't going to happen very much anyway. Unless you're subbing Warrior. In which case, el-oh-el. The Parazonium's 2-4 actually procs quite a bit, the 3rd hit seems to be its favorite place.
    (0)

Does the oa2-4 give you more tp over time? yes. Does it give the mob more tp over time? yes. For every plus the oa2-4 has it has an equal drawback. And, in case its not known, DA/TA will prevent the addition attacks from proccing, so the more you have w/ a oa2-4 on, the less the dagger is doing for you. Not to mention it also makes saber dance worthless.
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast