Character
    Darklordsidius
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Aurasteal still works when you get no item?

I been stealing with 0 success 99% of the time but occasionally getting the success effect with 0 items. the success effect goes off, I get no item but it's absorbing buffs like shell. Is this normal?

Darklordsidius uses Steal.
    Darklordsidius steals the effect of Shell from the Sapphire Quadav.
    (0)
    It is a quiet thing to fall..... but it is far more terrible to admit it!

Item steal is checked first. If it is successful, you steal an item. If it is unsuccessful or there is nothing you can steal from the mob, then afterwards aura steal checks for dispel/absorb buffs.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I think you just understood Aura Steal wrong. Aura Steal only works when you get no item. By "success effect" I think you mean the Steal-animation? That's both the animation for Steal and Aura Steal, which are mutually exclusive.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Yes, you're confusing how aura steal works with how despoil works. Despoil requires an item to be stolen. Aura Steal requires no item to be stolen.
    (0)