Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

One Tank Job Out of 20 Is Bad Game Design

So I am doing Voidwatch and basically we have to stop because our only Paladin out of the 18 people we have has to go. Seriously why design a game where there is only one real tank when you have 20 other jobs to choose from. The thing I like about Abyssea is it eliminated a need for from one tank only. Can choose from multiple jobs in Abyssea(PLD, THF, MNK, NIN, WAR, hell just about any melee job if you got the right mages healing) Now he we are with voidwatch which basically requires a PLD tank, a job hardly anyone plays anymore. Great job SE. I love the new content.... (sarcasm in case the developers don't get my drift.)
    (4)
    it's what you learn after you know it all that counts

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There isn't "one tank job' and it's not "bad game desgin" even if so. Does every game need 5 different ways of playing every concieveable gameplay role for it to be well designed?

No.

Now he we are with voidwatch which basically requires a PLD tank, a job hardly anyone plays anymore. Great job SE.
    I agree, great job SE. A wholly underused and underrated job finally gets a place in the spotlight. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.
    (17)

Inb4 the Paladin Subforum regulars catch wind of this.

Better fasten your seatbelts, folks. We're in for a bumpy ride.
    (4)

Character
    Yinnyth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    One healer out of 20 jobs is poor game design too. Since whm does it better than every other job, obviously it's the only healer. One treasure hunter out of 20 jobs is poor game design too. Sure, rng has bounty shot, but thf has much higher TH available. Only one nuking job, only one ranged physical damage job, only one... darnit, do I need to go on?

Just because one job is the BEST at a role, doesn't mean it's the ONLY one that can fill the spot.
    (8)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by svengalis View Post
    So I am doing Voidwatch and basically we have to stop because our only Paladin out of the 18 people we have has to go. Seriously why design a game where there is only one real tank when you have 20 other jobs to choose from. The thing I like about Abyssea is it eliminated a need for from one tank only. Can choose from multiple jobs in Abyssea(PLD, THF, MNK, NIN, WAR, hell just about any melee job if you got the right mages healing) Now he we are with voidwatch which basically requires a PLD tank, a job hardly anyone plays anymore. Great job SE. I love the new content.... (sarcasm in case the developers don't get my drift.)
    So do you do "endgame" with gimps? I mean you only have 1 player who leveled PLD?

From what I've seen and heard from other people doing VW heavily a non-Ochain/Aegis PLD, a PLD still functions as a tank it just takes 2 of them. Now I know co-tanking is a completely new idea that was never ever used since 2003 or anything crazy like that but you could try it. It takes 1-2 weeks to get a job from 1 to 90 with relevant skills for most casual players someone focusing on endgame events on any sort of fixed schedule can get that done in a few days.
    (3)

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    In my shell we usually have 1 or 2 ukon wars tanking... Even if we do have a pld present, the wars are still tanking the majority of the fight.
    (0)

Character
    Opto
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 68
    What's more pathetic is that out of 18 people, with abyssea having been released for so long, only one of them had PLD leveled and geared. What would you call that? Bad human design?
    (3)

Character
    Rearden
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    I wasn't aware PLD was useful for anything aside from tanking the adds in Zilart areas.

Do people actually use it for something else? lol
    (1)

Character
    Mdkuser
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by svengalis View Post
    PLD is the lazy way of doing those fight. People use it for the same reason they kept using PLD for dynamis, limbus sky etc when everything could be easilly DD burned. From what I read and did, any kind off DD can tank those mobs. I mean, you have eighteen peoples in your allaince to back up a few DDs, its not like cure bombing was any problem. If the tank dies? ok no problem, replace with one of the 5 other DDs.... You dont need no PLD to throw meat bodies at a mob. If you were low manning maybe, but im sure those mobs are zergable, just like city T1~4. Not to mention nearly every DD has access to cap or close to cap PDT, MDT, evasion...

Also, I dont know why having only one job tank is a bad game design. Your Ls has only on PLD for one reason: they dont like the paladin jobs. Its been the case forever, people dont like tanking jobs in general. Making another one wont solve anything. Thats why making DD tanks was one of the best thing this game brought ( started seriously @ aht urghan, when people started to DD burn everything).
    (0)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarly View Post
    What's more pathetic is that out of 18 people, with abyssea having been released for so long, only one of them had PLD leveled and geared. What would you call that? Bad human design?
    Nope, why bother with PLD when they are next to useless in Abyssea and before VW Abyssea was current endgame.
    (1)
    it's what you learn after you know it all that counts

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast