Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A "gear" based Berserk

Following a discussion in another thread, I thought about how SE has been fearful of giving RDM's higher tier Cures or Area of Effect buff spells/abilities and our general lack of power in every department has left us lingering FAR behind. As it stands we have little avenue for boosting our current abilities beyond what they are, so why not implement something to do just that.

My proposal is something along the lines of a gear based berserk. Basically it take's whatever stats you have on your gear such as Defense, MND, INT, STR, Acc, Haste, Skill, Cure Potency, and even the base damage of the weapon equipped, and boost those by 25%. As far as implementation, it could be a new Job Ability(JA) at level 99, or a new merit JA/Composure buff that increases the effect (and possibly duration) by 5% for each merit.

Example: You have +20 Acc, M.Acc, Haste, Cure Potency, skill, whatever
    1 merit (5%)= +21 Acc, M.Acc, Haste, Cure Potency, skill, whatever
    2 merits (10%)= +22
    3 merits (15%)= +23
    4 merits (20%)= +24
    5 merits (25%)= +25 Total

The ability would give us three distinct bonuses.

Scaling: You get more out of what you invest.

For example, say you are trying to stack Magic Attack Bonus to cast Thunder IV. A player who only has 10% would only receive an additional +2.5%, however suppose they had +40% instead they would receive an additional +10%.

Increase Gear Flexibility: Allowed to focus on other/multiple stats.

For example, a player could sacrifice some Accuracy gear in turn for STR or Attack, because the bonus accuracy obtained from the Job Ability would pick up the slack to help cap our accuracy.

Another example, Instead of having to equip 25% haste to reach the gear cap, we would only need to equip 20% and let the JA pick up the other 5%. Of course that's only if the haste gained from the JA counts towards the gear cap and not treated as a JA haste, which could propel us past 30% haste on equipment alone.

Boosts to other misc. gear effects: Increases bonuses for non-traditional stats.

For example, increases the effect for set bonuses, such as further increasing the Composure bonus from the +2 Estoqueur's Armor Set.

And it perhaps the best thing of all, it would work for all aspects of RDM DD, nuker, healer, buffer, enfeebler, that guy who like's to leech in Abyssea exp parties... well maybe not that last one, but still it would be something that everyone can be happy with... except maybe other melee and mage jobs.

Tell me what you think.

EDIT: This is not a fix! This is not an End all adjustment that I'm trying to perpetuate for RDM, it's merely an idea for possible future updates to give us a boost outside of the typical methods thrown around for RDM. While I know people's opinions differ, I feel the idea is within reasonable boundaries taking balance and any possible future updates into consideration.
    (1)
    Last edited by Swords; 10-02-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Player
    This I think would be difficult to implement and would take a long time to code.
    (0)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Simpler solution might be simply giving a level 1 Attack Bonus, Accuracy Bonus (kinda sorta got with Composure), and maybe a Magic Accuracy Bonus trait to go alongside our Magic Attack. I wouldn't be averse to an Enfeebling Potency trait, but functionally it'd probably just reduce the needed MND to cap Slow or something.

Or if you're really fixated on stats like STR, INT, and such, a more universal Gain-ALL like SCH's Stormsurged Voidstorm could be an option. Maybe capping at +10 instead of the estimated +25 for 99 cap.
    (1)

Well the focus isn't totally based on basic stats gained from gear, it's mostly to incorporate giving more power to all aspects of RDM that would be significant based on the effort you put into your gear, yet not totally overpowering. Granted, MND, INT, and magic accuracy is pretty easy to cap nowadays they wouldn't benefit as much from the JA, but some of the other aspects such as Cure Potency, MAB, Spells effected by skill, and WS modifiers would greatly benefit from any direct boost from the JA.
    (0)

I don't really understand it.

Why not just increase its stats somewhat. Maybe move its weapons up to A- Increase its elemental to B, Dark and divine to C. Give it access to the EX sword and Dagger WS. Add them back on to the low end (not implying weak DD's) DD armor with THF/DNC/BLU/RNG/COR etc. Give them access to Magian Daggers.

IE. Break the shit out of it. Make it so damn powerful it pisses everyone off. Then tweak it back to the point it is capable of being about 80% of a dedicated job (like it was in ToAU) when performing a singular specific duty. Make its only limiting factor lie in the fact that while it can do everything reasonably well but its not the best at it, and adding more tasks on top (say healing+buffing+nuking) reduces the overall effectiveness of them all.

Stop making RDM's limitation be stats and gear options, make its limitations be the fact it can not do everything well, but it is fairly sufficient in singular roles. (like it was at 75).

If I want to nuke and heal and buff, I use my BLM/WHM because its just as good if not better in that capacity, especially in abyssea.

Fix the Gear and Stats.

I should note that I use my DNC/NIN to melee because it is much better than my RDM, which is Ironic because at 75 my RDM/NIN was slightly better than my DNC (thank you joyeuse).
    (1)
    Last edited by Mageoholic; 10-01-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    There is no min only max. Or something like that.

I see what your getting at, but for some reason alot of people seem to shoot for a singular fix (or at least make it sound that way) which isn't going to happen. Even my idea wouldn't be a huge boost but it would augment what we have (and will eventually get) through gear. Further down the line I think it would work well in conjunction with any WS/skill/gear adjustments and other updates to let us get a little more from our gear since we won't have the benefit of some of the super powered melee/mage gear like Twilight, Sky gods, and various gear that have insane stats .
    (0)
    Last edited by Swords; 10-01-2011 at 02:35 PM.

we don't really need super powered gear, we just need to be put back on the gear that we had been on @ the 75 cap. Really RDM should not be overly competitive for any slot, but it should be nearly as efficient.

Back in the day 75-80% was where we were in all aspects. (we were never really a great healer outside of EXP, and our nuking was substandard, but what RDM had was longevity. Our melee had been consistently reported in these areas numerous times in debates over the years).

Now we are about 75-80% in nuking still thanks to the boost that T4's provided, but our healing, and melee sides have dropped considerably. We are in the neighbor hood of 50% of a WHM, mostly because we lost our ace card, convert. Our melee is hovering around the 65-70% area, supported only by the fact we have 3 crit related multi hit WS's. (CDC/Evis/Vorpal) and really only applies in abyssea, outside of abyssea if you don't have CDC your pretty well shit and drop to he 55-60% area, as WS that don't crit are highly efficient without the benefit of atma.

That is the issue, SE has limited RDM in certain aspects because it fears it will be to good. What SE fails to realize is that RDM will never be as good as a dedicated job, because the moment a RDM takes on another task they are diminishing the value of both.

RDM needs to be altered so it can achieve the 80% value of other jobs when performing a specific role. The only downside to RDM currently is the fact that it is lagging behind in specific elements, via gear and ability (slightly adjusted for melee this update) . Th only limiting factor to RDM should be the fact it is able to perform multiple tasks on the fly, and doing so reduces efficiency in everything.

We could be put on all the same gear as jobs in our "gear class" and still be out performed, we could raise all our stats 1 letter level and still be out performed. It is not a matter of balance, it is an issue with SE not understanding how RDM functions in the game. It is a terrible class when performing more then 2-3 functions.

SE needs to stop looking at the long list of stuff RDM can do, and look at the short list of what RDM can do effectively in a given role, and currently that is only nuking.
    (1)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Can we just drop that 80% crap ideal already? Nobody wants 80% of one thing when they can get 100% elsewhere. The "other things" RDM brings to the table was never really enough to justify that 20% loss.
    (1)

Player
    I don't believe we're anywhere close to that in nuking anymore.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Seriha View Post
    Can we just drop that 80% crap ideal already? Nobody wants 80% of one thing when they can get 100% elsewhere. The "other things" RDM brings to the table was never really enough to justify that 20% loss.
    Then go level a job that is only able to fill a dedicated singular role then....oh wait you did, numerous times. (so did I and so did mostly every other RDM that didn't play it just to be WHM-1).

The fact is RDM should not be 100% when it still posses the ability to function in other aspects simply due through gear swaps. All other classes that can do multiple modes have some form of block in place that does not allow for seamless transition. SCH has arts timers, BLU has spells sets, DNC has to use TP for support instead of DMG, PUP has to requip and redeploy autos, DRG varies by sub. RDM can sub whatever it wants and still has the ability to nuke/buff/debuff/melee/heal and can increase these abilities through native skill and gear swaps. The issue is the native skill and gear swaps have been restricted to RDM now to the point where it really shows.

If you want to be 100% comparable, then SE will need to put a check in place, likely something like Arts that switches between our mage and melee roles. However you would be back a week later complaining your Cures to a 20% hit so your melee could take a 20% increase.

And I know you would. because it is you.
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast