Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Windurst - Carbuncle (formerly Gilgamesh)
    Character
    Lordderg
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Polite Way to Address Linkshell Members

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I try to help out fellow Linkshell members whenever I get the chance. In some cases, everything goes okay, but in other cases everyone dies. LOL

Anyhow, in all the Linkshells I was invited to join, there have been many cases where fellow Linkshell members would log in and begin asking the following requests immediately:
    • Anyone wanna party?
    • Anyone wanna skill-up?
    • I'm bored.
    • Can anyone help me with this mission/quest/Artifact equipment/etc.
    Again, I don't mind helping others whenever I can, but at times their requests either come at a lousy time or seem at bit needy. For instance, other Linkshell members might either be busy with other tasks or it might be too late in the day for them to help. Now, Linkshell members that asks these requests seem nice and all, but these out-of-the-blue requests might cause some problems further down the line when these players become frustrated by the lack of assistance. Are there any suggestions on how to politely address such LS members in need at times when you and/or others are too busy?
    (0)
    FFXI Characters:
    Lordderg (formerly Derg from the Gilgamesh server) ~ Hume: Windurst
    Pikamoogle ~ Tarutaru: Bastok

Character
    Urteil
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    If you have to worry about such niggling concerns, you might want to find a new group.

Or hang out with people who possess a layer of testicular fortitude and skin, thicker than a Russian Condom.
    (1)
    Last edited by Urteil; 09-02-2011 at 02:57 PM.

If people say they're bored I bet you could ask for their help with something and they would go do it.
    (1)

http://www.twitch.tv/wish12oz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/r5n/videos

Character
    Gennadi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    As a leader of Marvels on Leviathan (Remora before that) for the past couple years, i find these suggestions to be most helpful.

Ask the person what they need and if you can help them at that moment then do so. If its something that requires more than an hour of more than 1 or more person's time then schedule a run on your forum (if you have one)

If this person needs something like a nysle isle floor climb or any mission that requires time to complete. Then start a static and keep to it till finished.

If people ask for help and you don't see them helping others then politely in /tell explain to them that in order to get what they need, they first need to help others get what they need done.

If your in any leader capacity, the best way to get your people helping each other is to lead by example and help those before yourself.

Any group that is going to last 6 months needs a strong foundation.
    Lead by example.
    Invite friendly and helpful people
    Help out those that are below lvl 60 so you can have them help out in return when they become lvl 80+
    Never be selfish and egos are not needed.

Hope this helps out anyone, whether your a LS leader, sack or pearl.
    (2)

Character
    Skyver
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    Maybe you should stop playing MMORPGs.
    (1)

Player
    Make friends. While doing this, you will also learn which people you'd rather not be friends with.

Congratulations, now a linkshell in FFXI is the typical social group for any group-oriented hobby. Do what thou wilt.

Problem solved.
    (2)

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Wait, what is the point of this thread? Are you asking how you should address these issues, or are you reminding people to not pester their linkshells?

Most moochers will eventually give up mooching and drop linkshells/drop friends once they realize they can't constantly beg for help without giving anything in return. If it's your own personal linkshell you can kick them, and if it's a linkshell you join, perhaps ask the leader to sit them down and have a talk.

I personally prefer to solo everything I can (and to attempt everything I can't) so that I don't bother other people to waste their time for me.
    (1)

Character
    Fistandantilus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Nothing worse than people who constantly ask for help, but never offer any in return. Or like the OP mentioned people who log in, and then 5 secs later be like "Amagad! like anyone wanna help me with this!?!?" Seriously take a pill relax, say hi maybe even some small talk. Butter me up some b4 you try to go all the way... geez!
    (4)

~Party Rock Anthem~

Character
    Tedra
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    Well I would look deeper and make sure everyone is getting/giving help equally. Sometimes there is more to this then meet the eye. For example, I have had experiences in a ls where from the moment I logged on the leader would start to send me tells asking me to help so and so with whatever. Also, they had a lot of unannounced events and you were expected to drop whatever you were doing to attend. However, when I asked for help with something there was always some reason why no one could help and I ended up resorting to shout on a regular basis. It was getting to the point that ls somehow tried to tie up all the online time of its members to help a select few with their weapons quest ect, but offered no help in return. It goes without saying I didn't stay in that ls much over a month. Looking back on it even that was to long.

So I would ask does the person get equal amount of help compared to what they offer others. When talking to friends the workhorse unworthy of help who must serve the ls is not that uncommon. So check out the dynamics that person experiences within the ls before jumping to conclusions. Sometimes the more popular folks don't catch on to whats really going on.
    (1)
    Last edited by Neonii; 09-02-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Character
    Rayik
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 95
    On the subject of Linkshell politeness, does it bother anyone else when you log into the game, and people in your LS start addressing you, before you've said anything? As if they are constantly /sea the LS and get the jump on you.

It's just a pet peeve of mine, but it drives me nuts and feels like an invasion of privacy. Feels sort of creepy even...

Maybe I'm just checking my plants, or only logging in for a few minutes. Maybe when I logged in, it's the day I need for a Magian trial and I'm in a hurry gearing up to head out, and will address the LS when I have time? Maybe I'm in a crappy mood and just don't want to be social?
    (4)
    I believe it's entirely possible to promote ideas and feedback without resorting to screaming matches, troll-fests, or unnecessary self-aggrandizement with heavy-handed condescension. SE is much more likely to listen to reasonable posts rather than screaming matches. Speak like an adult, if you wish to be treated like one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast