Character
    Urteil
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Vanity Slots

***Updated with gear "lock" option.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for SE to implement a vanity tab or gear section?

For people that don't know, vanity slots are a place where you place gear simply for appearance, while your equipment slots are the ones that are counted for stats etc.

Once setting the gear in the vanity slot, you simply retain that appearance despite changing out other pieces of gear in your 'real' equipment area.

Using gear for a vanity slot doesn't use it up per say, it simply just marks it as the designated appearance you wish to show.

If everquest can do it, FFXI sure can, the fact that EQ just got a new expansion and can do this and FFXI can't should be really embarrassing.

This way blinking in battle would be a thing of the past without third-party plugins, and we could choose our full-time appearance in battle while keeping gear swaps.

Some armor is just god-awful (I'm looking at you camlecac trousers), and it would allow for some neat diversification.

Option 1, the Gear Lock Command:

Instead of taking the time that we know you won't, to develop a system of new inventory and update the UI.

It has been proposed farther along in the thread that a new command akin to /gearlockimage (or whatever) be introduced into the game.

Which does not lock your equipped gear but only "locks" the appearance, stopping blinking and armor to be changed mid combat.

This would take much less time then the other route which I will just throw in for the sake of it, and is in many ways more feasible, as highlighted by many later on.

Option 2, the Vanity Inventory:

Create a new accessible inventory tab where players can select armor from their inventory to put into these appearance slots.

Just shove it into a sub menu under the equipment menu, much like how a Puppetmaster can access the inventory/equipment of their Automaton.

By placing gear in these slots this is the "locked" appearance for your character and regardless of gear swaps you will not blink or change your modeled appearance.

**And for the dev team, there isn't a need to make the vanity tab /checkable, keep it completley invisible to everyone except the user, as I can see how displaying two sets of inventory would probably be impossible.

Only display "real" equipment, so all those people who are hard as e-diamonds can still get their peen on.
    (24)
    Last edited by Urteil; 09-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Character
    Lushipur
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    doubt it will ever happens.
    ps2 limitation.
    too much code work to implements.
    etc etc.
    (0)

Only the phoenix arises and does not descend. And everything changes. And nothing is truly lost.

Character
    Kheper
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 1
    100% support this. A friend of mine was telling me how they do this in DC Universe Online and all I could think about was how much I wish this was a feature in FFXI. Basically every piece of gear you acquire is added to your "fashion" inventory that you can choose from when gearing up your character for their visible appearance, separate from the actual stat gear you have on (just as in the OP).

Unfortunately, though, I fear that it's too big of a change to work within FFXI's framework. PS2 limitations, whatever. Actually I think it would just require more reworking of the game than they'd like to spend man-hours on, and since it's cosmetic they'd skip on it.
    (2)

Character
    Amalah
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 74
    I would love this! I want to be able to wear the most efficient gear possible, but I would also like to look good while doing it.
    (3)
    Last edited by Amalah; 08-27-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Character
    Soranika
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    I totally support this.
    (1)
    Main Job: SMN95 <Hvergelmir 85 obtained 9/10/11>
    Side Jobs: WHM95 DNC95
    Gimp Jobs: SCH95 NIN95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimikryo View Post
    If waiting 15 minutes is such an issue to you, I hope you never get stuck in public transport or in an elevator. You probably will go insane.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't, because then I can't tell what someone is wearing just by looking at them.
    (3)

Character
    Amalah
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 74
    That's not always possible anyway, some pieces of armour look the same. Checking somebody is better, at least then you can see the accessories being worn too.

Perhaps a toggle option so you can choose whether you see the vanity items?
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I don't, because then I can't tell what someone is wearing just by looking at them.
    You can't now either.

Is that AF+2 or AF+0 that monk is wearing?

Is that bone leggings or ace's leggings?

Is that a perdu voulge or an atlas +2?
    (2)
    Last edited by Mirage; 08-28-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You can't now either.

Is that AF+2 or AF+0 that monk is wearing?

Is that bone leggings or ace's leggings?

Is that a perdu voulge or an atlas +2?
    You also have to use common sense. Anyone under 70 logically wouldn't be wearing Ace's leggings. Considering ToAU is pretty much dead and magians is easy as hell, there's your answer.

I dislike Vanity slots in MMOs for various reasons (mainly because they're the cashshop shit) but it also would kill the use of JSE. You could appoint your RDM gear to vanity slot then be a WAR, it would just look silly.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Vanity slots is pretty much the primary reason I'm looking for alternative MMOs. If all MMOs were about looking like clowns with mixed armors, I'd have no reason to go from FFXI.
    (0)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast