Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Character
    Zatias
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

How Gear Swapping Works: Simple Macros for the Simple Minded

Hello. Pardon the title; I have a bad sense of humor.

I am not here to bash anyone, shove ideas or playstyles down people's throats. Nor am I saying that these macros are the only way to play this game. I simply want to point people unfamiliar with equip macros in the right direction.

What is a macro?

I will give examples of how, when used properly, gear swap macros can save your life, increase your damage, and be more efficient with MP.

<What can I change out without losing TP?> You may change out everything except main, sub, and ranged equipment. Keep in mind that ammo slot is not ranged slot and also may be switched without TP loss! For mages, this doesn't really matter (unless you are meleeing for some reason~) and I encourage staff swaps.

Let's begin the guide!

If you have a problem with me attempting to help people learn macro usage, please rage elsewhere. Thanks in advance.

Your "Main" Set
    Your main set is the set of gear you will use in most situations. For mages this might include MP and Refresh, for melee, it might include Haste, Accuracy, and Attack. These should be 1 to 3 macro buttons that are easy to find, and usually right next to each other.

Alt OOOXXXXXXX
    Similar to this picture, your main set macros will be easily accessed as the Os.

Alt OXXOXXXOXX
    In this picture, the staggered Os make this more complicated and is not recommended.

As an example, here are my DNC macros for my "main" set.
    Melee1
    /equip head "Charis Tiara +2"
    /equip neck "Charis Necklace"
    /equip body "Charis Carasque +2"
    /equip hands "Dusk Gloves +1"
    /equip legs "Charis Tights +2"
    /equip feet "Charis Toeshoes +2"

Melee2
    /equip back "Atheling Mantle"
    /equip L.Ear "Brutal Earring"
    /equip R.Ear "Suppanomimi"
    /equip L.Ring "Rajas Ring"
    /equip R.Ring "Angel's Ring"
    /equip waist "Twilight Belt"
    With the click of these 2 buttons, I already have most of my gear equipped. Seems handy, doesn't it? Notice that in this set, I stacked Haste. This is because it's a basic melee set. Who doesn't wanna attack fast?

Very nice Haste Guide here if you wanna read more on that. This thread is mainly to inform of gear change macros.

Having your main set macroed has a number of benefits. The most important of them is the ease you will have putting all your main stuff back on after using another gear macro to do something else, such as Waltz or Cure someone.

Or weaponskill. ;P

Your Weaponskill Set
    This set is as the title says; gear you will switch into right before you weaponskill. Easy enough to understand, right?

Alt XXXXXXXOOA
    Similar to this picture, your weaponskill set macros can be easily accessed as the Os. The A is where your actual weaponskill macro can be to make it even more simple.

Same deal with your main set, you can use 1-3 macro buttons to set this gear up. More examples from my DNC set.
    WS1
    /equip head "Etoile Tiara"
    /equip neck "Peacock Charm"
    /equip body "Charis Carasque +2"
    /equip hands "Charis Bangles +1"
    /equip feet "Charis Toeshoes +2"

WS2
    /equip R.Ear "Aesir Ear Pendant"
    /equip R.Ring "Angel's Ring"
    /equip waist "Warwolf Belt"
    After clicking these two buttons (takes about 1 second) you can then followup with your weaponskill.
    Evis
    /ws Evisceration <t>
    Note: If you didn't use all the lines in your equip macro, you can place this right under your last equip.
    EX: WS2
    /equip R.Ear "Aesir Ear Pendant"
    /equip waist "Warwolf Belt"<wait1>
    /ws "Evisceration" <t>

Once the weaponskill is done, you can click back to your main set. That wasn't so hard, was it? Gear swapping when you weaponskill can double your normal damage or more, so yes it's worth the trouble.

Can't Touch This: Evasion Set
    Even with your capped evasion skill, you can't always avoid the attack the enemy throws at you. Some enemies are extremely accurate, and you might need help from gear!

Alt XXXOOXXXXX
    Easily accessed next to your main set, your evasion set can be clicked in a heartbeat when you are struggling in battle.
    Eva1
    /equip head "Optical Hat"
    /equip neck "Evasion Torque"
    /equip body "Aurore Doublet"
    /equip hands "Denali Wristbands"
    /equip feet "Aurore Gaiters"

Eva2
    /equip back "Boxer's Mantle"
    /equip L.Ear "Novia Earring"
    /equip R.Ear "Ethereal Earring"
    /equip R.Ring "Heed Ring"
    /equip waist "Twilight Belt"
    Zip~ you're in your full evasion set. Now you can better assess the situation and react to it without being mauled.

Medic! Macros for Curing
    Not much to explain here. You or a partner has been hit, and you need to cure them the best you can.

Ctrl OOOXXXXXXX
    You can place your 3 most common cures around here.
    Waltz3
    /equip head "Etoile Tiara"
    /equip body "Dancer's Casaque"
    /ja "Curing Waltz III" <stal>
    This incredibly simple macro allows you to equip your potency and waltz the person in one button.
    Cure4
    /equip main "Teiwaz"
    /equip L.Ear "Novia Earring"
    /equip hands "Serpentes Cuffs"
    /equip legs "Tatsumaki Sitagoromo"
    /equip feet "Serpentes Boots"
    /ma "Cure IV" <stal>
    This simple macro is also effective for curing.
    Notice the <stal> and not <stpc>. This is highly recommended due to the "blinking" issue some healers have. <stal> allows you to target and keep targeting any alliance member, even if they blink.

Enhancing your potency per cure can be a lifesaver and can mean the difference from having to cure or waltz once, or having to do it twice. I'd stick with the single heal.

Example: Curing Waltz V heals for around 800 normally. With stacked waltz potency gear you can easily see over 1k per heal with this ability. That's about a 200 HP difference.

The same goes for Cures. Your average cure 4 will cure for around 400, but with the right cure potency swaps it can reach over 600. This is the difference between having to cast a single cure 4 or having to top it off with a cure 3. That's saving you at least 46 MP right there!

Misc. Abilities
    Most job abilities can be enhanced with certain gear. For example, a Dancer's Steps can be made more accurate with (shocked!) accuracy gear. The duration of a Samba can be lengthened if you use the ability with artifact head equipped. Violent Flourish can stun more often if you add some magic accuracy to it. The list goes on; here are a few examples.
    Quickstep
    /equip head "Optical Hat"
    /equip neck "Peacock Charm"
    /equip hands "Dancer's Bangles"
    /ja "Quickstep" <stnpc>
    You can use <stnpc> because it's quicker (to me) than using /wait for the gear to change for effect. If you don't wish to click twice, add <wait1> after "dancer's bangles" and use <t>.
    Haste Samba
    /equip head "Dancer's Tiara" <wait1>
    /ja "Haste Samba" <me>
    After using these abilities, you may switch back to your melee set.

What it will look like

ALT
    [melee1][melee2][melee3][eva1][eva2][Eva3][WS1][WS2][WS3][WeaponskillName]

CTRL
    [Cure1][Cure2][Cure3][HasteSamb][DrainSamb][ReverseFl][Step1][Step2][Stun]

I hope that paints a decent picture of a simple macro set for DNC. The blacked out can be replaced with better macros if you don't need the extra macro slots.

By now you should have a pretty good idea of how to set up macros for any job.

More Macros
    The guide is bursting with too much information for a single post. It is continued at the link above!

Closing Note
    Keep in mind that all my macro examples are just that: Examples. You do not need the same gear as me. You can use gear with similar stats in its place, or even better gear than what I mentioned. I am aware that my sets are also far from perfect, so save the bashing and leave this guide to people struggling with gearswaping.

Also, any additions/corrections are welcomed, if they are constructive and kept simple. I thank you all for your support and ideas for this guide.

Just remember, arrange your macros anyway you wish, as long as they dont confuse you during battle. Make your own macros, try them out, and edit them how you like!

Good luck!
    (36)
    Last edited by Zatias; 08-29-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: additions

Player
    I'd like to point out that you can also "stack" macros so they're all layered on one position in the macro palette by making use of the follow syntax: /macro set #

This lets you jump around to different lines in your macro book, so you can have a setup that looks like this:

CTRL 1 (first line in macro book):
    /equip stuff x5
    /macro set 2
    CTRL 1 (second line in macro book):
    /equip stuff x5
    /macro set 3
    CTRL 1 (third line in macro book):
    /equip stuff x5
    /Ja MurderTown <t>

This lets you swap out a full 15 pieces of gear and execute your spell, Weaponskill or whatever with 3 keystrokes. If you run out of space in a single macro book you can switch between them using: /macro book #

Happy macro building.
    (4)

Player
    Wouldn't the weapon skill macro require you to return to set 1?
    (0)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Should put up in the largest font how <stal> works and why every mage you should use it not matter what. Its even the best way to heal while using a controler so those pesky ps2 players have no reason not to use it.
    (8)

Character
    Zatias
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    Should put up in the largest font how <stal> works and why every mage you should use it not matter what. Its even the best way to heal while using a controler so those pesky ps2 players have no reason not to use it.
    lol will do XD

And I myself play with a controller. It's really not that hard.
    (2)

Character
    Korialstrasz
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    But we'll still get people who have never actually used it to come in spouting how we're wrong and that it still makes you lose target when people blink.
    (5)

Character
    Quetzacoatl
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I love this thread.
    (2)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatias View Post
    lol will do XD

And I myself play with a controller. It's really not that hard.
    I play with one too. Just some posters on here I will not name think using <stal> is the same as thirdparty tools or they get it mixed up with plugins like blink me not. It always comes back to them saying thier good with out it but can't or won't admit even if they are good with out it they could be better with it taking 5 mins to set it up and a joining a exp party to get use to it.
    (3)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    If only SE would adapt Windower into the actual game so you wouldn't have to deal with those GOD FORSAKEN limited macros.

Being able to change all your PDT gear or MDT gear at once is kind of a game changer at times.

... not that I use it or anything
    (9)

Character
    Zatias
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
    I'd like to point out that you can also "stack" macros so they're all layered on one position in the macro palette by making use of the follow syntax: /macro set #

This lets you jump around to different lines in your macro book, so you can have a setup that looks like this:

CTRL 1 (first line in macro book):
    /equip stuff x5
    /macro set 2
    CTRL 1 (second line in macro book):
    /equip stuff x5
    /macro set 3
    CTRL 1 (third line in macro book):
    /equip stuff x5
    /Ja MurderTown <t>

This lets you swap out a full 15 pieces of gear and execute your spell, Weaponskill or whatever with 3 keystrokes. If you run out of space in a single macro book you can switch between them using: /macro book #

Happy macro building.
    Thanks, but I was aiming for simple macros for people who are ill informed. This stuff is useful but it also might baffle newer players ^^;
    (1)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast