Character
    Asanarama
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90

suggestion regarding mutually exclusive mission rewards

First of all, it was an absolute stroke of genius to use a job system in an MMO. In almost every way, it is superior to or as good as the one-class-per-character approach. However, there’s one way in which it is inferior that involves items. In order to be as good as a one-class-per-character system, having the best equipment for one job must not interfere with having the best equipment for another job. However, the final rewards for many missions are mutually exclusive. In order to get a different reward, a character must drop the current reward and repeat a battle, and there’s a limit as to how often a character can do this. Perhaps some of this equipment has been entirely replaced by newer content, but some of it has not, and this may apply to future items.

Simply allowing a character to have all of the rewards for each mission is not a good solution, because it would deny the designers the ability to create powerful rewards that would be too powerful if someone could equip more than one reward from the same mission at the same time. However, there’s a simple solution. If a character has an emperor band and tries to get an empress band, the NPC will refuse. It knows those items are mutually exclusive. The designers could create an NPC to store mission rewards or use a current storage NPC. It would be smart about when to allow a character to take something out of storage. For example, a character would have to store a hollow earring before being allowed to take back an ethereal earring.
    (4)

Character
    Javir
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I think this is a great suggestion, not only in merit with the typical rings/earring noted. But it could be nice having even a limit of 2-5 Moonshade Earrings, each with different augments. I can understand not wanting to allow every single combination to be able to be stored, but I have 3 different ways I wanted to go with that earring because of the jobs I enjoy. instead I am forced to pick one job to be optimal while hoping it can help another job as well. Even with only two at least I can have a fun toy for my mages and one for my melee.

Anyhow, great suggestion OP
    (1)

Character
    Cloudxz
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I like this idea. I always wished I could get that Knight's Earring for my PLD, but I just don't want to get rid of my Suppanomimi.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

><)))°m

Definitely have had more or less this in my mind as well.

Great example, I think, is the add-on series where you have to pick armour that will suit only certain jobs, or even just one due to the stats.
    I would like it if I could get at least one of each, even if I had to complete the whole add-on again to do it!

I don't see a reason why it would be a bad idea either. It would only be convenient.
    If it's to keep people wanting to do it later so that 'new people' can get groups too, it's not exactly working anyways...

Heck I think even having all the rings/earrings would hardly be game-breaking.

Can't really think of a good reason for why they're so limited in the first place, as in, to get items for a certain job or jobs, while it is a game you can easily have them all leveled up. I never decided to just play one job for a certain amount of time, and then another, instead I play as what is the most appropriate for what ever I am doing at the moment.
    So having to repeat final battles for equipment is obviously not reasonable in this case.

Blubb!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Yukichibi
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    The job system is great, but i disagree with the fact you can have multiple item from mission etc ...

You can't be the master of all the jobs, you can't merit all weapons, you have to make choices, sometime tough, but you can change your choices when you want. (mission item, merit)
    (1)
    30/05/2004 PLD - PUP - COR - SCH

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukichibi View Post
    The job system is great, but i disagree with the fact you can have multiple item from mission etc ...

You can't be the master of all the jobs, you can't merit all weapons, you have to make choices, sometime tough, but you can change your choices when you want. (mission item, merit)
    I have to agree with this, while it would be awesome to be able to have all 3 COP Rings, you have to make a choice. Choose Wisely.
    (0)