Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    I wasn't being synical or sarcastic in my last post. Saying "We want a 3rd party to deal with it as they have better security" directly translates to "If it gets hacked, we don't want to be the ones responsible". That's all this is, SE is trying to cover their asses incase our financial infomation gets hacked. It's not currancy or exchange rates. It's just they don't want to be held responsible.

The argument that should be brought to SE's attention now is their choice of a 3rd party. I find it ironic they want to use a company blacklisted by many banks to improve our financial security.
    That all breaks down as a valid reason though when you save the CC info from one specific region to allow them to still pay driectly with a credit card. As I stated in another post, server security is not a regionally specific thing. Firewalls and encrypted communication are the same regardless of the region--it is a HARDWARE issue that is universal. 3DES encrytpion works the same from my bedroom as it does from my bank, a laptop in the UK, or a server rrom in Japan.

Security wasn't the issue... maybe the COST or DIFFICULTY for supplying that security to everyone elses information, but just security itself was not the issue, as they've seen fit to use their Firewalls and encryption to store, protect, and process JP credit cards.
    (1)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

They probably had some bullshit notion about japanese less likely to get hacked or something.
    I still find it ironic they want us to use a company blacklisted by lots of big name banks to increase our security.
    (0)

Character
    Kheper
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 1
    They seriously need a rate-down feature on this forum so when a certain idiot posts the same false information a million times, we can rate them down so that people that are new to the forum aren't exposed to their inane BS.
    (9)

Character
    Maacha
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    japanese less likely to get hacked or something.
    It's more likely that less JP people are using the restore process after being "hacked" to duplicate gear/gil than US/EU people are. I hear about people being "hacked" all the time, where they actually had a friend "steal" their stuff so they can get it restored, effectively doubling their loot.
    (0)

This has nothing to do with PSN getting hacked. This payment system SE has with Clickandbuy, UltimatePay and Crysta was long in place for FFXIV. Wasn't much of a surprise that they now using the same system for FFXI.
    (0)

Character
    Sortis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    ClickandBuy has the lowest Rating possible at the Better Business Bureau, why would they have someone with a HORRIBLE reputation handle the money of their loyal subscribers, do they even care?!
    (1)

Character
    Tifaia
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sortis View Post
    ClickandBuy has the lowest Rating possible at the Better Business Bureau, why would they have someone with a HORRIBLE reputation handle the money of their loyal subscribers, do they even care?!
    More then likely when the bid when out, ClickandBuy offered the lowest amount to SE. So they went with them. It's always about money. Still urging those that are saying "I'm not going to ClickandBuy or Crysta" next month to actually follow-through with this! If enough of us say no and no longer play, they have to listen because we'll be cutting into their profits. No company wants to see that.
    (4)
    Say NO to ClickandBuy. Say NO to Crysta.

SquareEnix, please give your non-Japanese customers the same equal billing rights as your Japanese consumer-base. We request equality!

Petition to stop the billing changes: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/12120-Petition-clickandbuy-the-only-way-no-thanks.

Character
    Rizon
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    the REAL reason, is they are phasing out playonline. This means they are getting rid of the use of it. Playonline will only be used as a launcher by september. SE choose C&B through a corprate decision. Playonline was a third party way for the non japanese to pay for ffxiv. Since japanese use different currency we really can not pay them directly due to the exchange rate, and possibly large fees to switch our currency into theirs. This is why japanese can pay SE directly. And in be for you name companies like blizzard, most mmo are seperated by region. And We pay the division of said company. Like european players pay blizzards european division ect. What you guys should understand, is SE did not forsee that we the players would have issues. Our issues are out of the hands of SE and it is the issue of your bank or credit union or credit card company verses click and buy. As well as click and buy verses your region. SE did inform the community reps that they are looking into better options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    There is a fee for doing a currency change, and how yen is calculated is different then how euros are calculated which both are different from the us doller. What I was trying to explain, is our servers are not region locked.

We use international servers. Mmo with region locked servers are headed by the division the servers are under. Like Blizzards US servers control the US servers and US pays the US company. While Blizzard EU controlls the EU servers and EU pays the EU division. This means since SE is located in japan, they can take the payments from the japanese player base. Since they are local.
    Playonline was a middle man, and prob converted our money from their own pocket. But since it is getting phased out and our accounts turning into SE accounts. They needed away for us to pay them. And picked what they could. We just gotta get used to it, or give them Ideas on a better way we can pay them. I would perfer time cards Like blizzard and Aion issue out.
    You are spot on with most of your observations though I must disagree with a couple of points.

1. SE could have forseen the problems they are having with player concern about C&B. Most of the issues we are reading here were 1st aired with the launch of FFXIV. Because FFXIV has been on an extended trial basis since launch concerns about C&B died until it was added to FFXI. As such the responsibility for this remains in SEs hands and not with the CC issuers.

2. C&B was the only CC option made available for FFXIV so therefore they did not "pick what they could". This is a move by SE to consolidate billing for both games under a single format. SE could have avoided most of these problems if they had done proper due diligence when researching C&B.

SE also bears responsibility for the current state of unrest within the player community because of the misleading and vague information presented to us with the initial information post concerning the changeover. We were lead to believe that direct payment would be available if we had 3D or VbV cards when this was not true. Also if SE had properly explained that we did not need a C&B account for CC billing the number of frustrated people would be a fraction of what they are now.

Hmm wonder if the previous comments will get me a permanent disclaimer attached like Raist seems to have.
    (2)

Character
    Niyariko
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by tifia View Post
    More then likely when the bid when out, ClickandBuy offered the lowest amount to SE. So they went with them. It's always about money. Still urging those that are saying "I'm not going to ClickandBuy or Crysta" next month to actually follow-through with this! If enough of us say no and no longer play, they have to listen because we'll be cutting into their profits. No company wants to see that.
    The notion of "it's always about money." its kinna stupid, why do they hire experienced programers to develop their games, while they can just hire some high-school-part-time students to do the work for cheap! Cause part time students can not do the job like the experienced can.

SE can save a few bucks by switching to CnB, but they didn't know that CnB are just high-school-part-time students.
    (1)
    Last edited by Niyariko; 08-08-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    recently returned player

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4