Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Love it or Hate it: 3 things about FFXI

RULES:

#1 Reply with three things you love about FFXI that you do not want changed.
    #2 Reply with three things you hate about FFXI that must be changed.
    #3 You may reply with both 3 things you love and 3 things you hate about FFXI.
    #4 Do not exceed the "3" limit in either category. Listing 100 things is too easy. Think about what you most love or hate about the game.

Optional Rules:

#1 Ties are accepted.
    Example: two #1's and one #3.

#2 Replying with 3 things you love and 3 things you hate entitles you to a bonus, unofficial entry that you either love or hate. No one's looking, sneak it in.

Guidelines:

* What you love or hate can be anything at all; it's up to you. Maybe it's an event, maybe it's as particular as a certain BCM, or as general as a certain System .

* Make the third thing as minor as possible. Maybe it's an NPC, maybe it's a particular animation, or a cutscene. The third thing can be as big or as small as you like, but remember; there might be something you take for granted. The game is made up of things you take for granted.

* Be Specific. Saying what you love or hate is actually pretty easy. Why do you love it, or hate it? --More than anything else?--

* FFXI, then and now: maybe it was something about the game from years ago, maybe it's something now. Neither be too in the moment to forget joys of the past, nor too mired in yesterday to unsee today's pleasures.

* Please avoid discussing billing or SE's customer service; there are already thread specific to each area of concern. As OP, I am in no way an apologist. We all hope that the billing situation is squared away in a manner that is satisfactory to both SE and its loyal customers.
    (3)

2. 08-04-2011 04:16 PM
    Reason
    HAKaa7WG

Character
    Elidani
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 95
    Love:

#1 Mog House Decorating -This is absolutely one of my favorite pastimes in FFXI. I love being able to find furnishings to redo my room. I do the different events, spend tons of gil, and complete the most ridiculous quests all just for the next piece of furnishing for my moogle to enjoy. My moogle is my pampered little housekeeper and I like for moogle to be comfy.

#2 Owning Chocobos - This is awesome all in itself. I like that we can ride, raise, breed, race these wonderful birds. An added bonus was being able to get chocobos in different colors.

#3 Having Friends I can talk to and do events with (Sure we get mad at each other sometimes and such *no one is perfect,* but we all have a good time and try to keep our drama at a minimum. Deep down most if not all of us want the linkshell/each other to succeed as well.)

Hate:

#1 The lack of variety among gear sets. I don't mind having the same stats as other players but it would be nice to have other options for things like color. For example, I'm a lvl 90 DNC...the Charis gear could have come with a few options. If not empyrean armor how about the aurore set? It only comes in pink and while I am female, I am not a fan of that color unless its on hearts, flowers, or babies. I would have liked to be able to purchase it in a nice shade of blue, green, yellow...really not too picky here.

#2 People thinking there is only one way to achieve any goals in the game.- It drives me nuts to see people telling others that you have to play X job this way only. Or that you must have your sub job unlocked at 18. I see no reason to force others to play the way I enjoy playing or why I should be forced to play the way they enjoy playing. I do see a need to make compromises in party situations for the group as a whole to benefit, but when I'm soloing...its about me.

#3 Not being able to have more control over my chocobo. *I would like to have an option to walk my choco without being in a CS or raise his/her stats through other more interactive activities.*

Well I think that about covers my list. Hey thanks for posting this. It was fun to try and think of just 3 each. Also admittedly rather hard on a couple deciding which I loved/hated more. Somethings aren't as clear as they appear to be.
    (4)

Character
    Raxiaz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96
    Love -
    1. BLU
    2. Talaria
    3. Abyssea availability

Hate -
    1. Empyrean feet acquisition
    2. Bomb fight for THF artifact feet quest
    3. Lack of recast timers being displayed for blue magic spells that have been recently set.
    (0)

Character
    Akirane
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Love

1. Being able to jump to other jobs with no penalties.

I'm not sure why a lot of other games tries to balance out their gameplay by forcing the player to level up a new job by starting a new character. I really like the freedom I get from having all the jobs available on one character. Not being forced to pick up telepoints or do Outpost warp quests or do level cap quests over again really speeds up leveling too. This game really forces you through a lot of nonsense stuff like building fame. Building fame translates to me as repeating one quest over and over until you unlock the quest you were after in the first place, but at least you just have to do it once.

2. Bottomless depth.

There's a lot of things in this game that's really advanced, crafting is sort of too complicated I think but skillchains and magic bursts are fun stuff. Being able to do stuff on your job that you didn't think you were able to do because of you've learned about your job by a lot is a rewarding experience in itself. 7 years later and I'm still learning new things about the game thanks to wikipedias where other people are putting their information into.

3. The epic feeling of building towards something that I just can't find somewhere else.

I've yet to get the same feeling of epicness like after beating CoP.

Hate:

1. Staggering system.

I don't like to cast a lot of useless spells, abilities and weapon skills on monsters that aren't that much of a threat. Holding a mob until you get the proc you want is annoying if you're waiting for your turn to pop. I know they added multiple ???s for the bigger ones, but I feel that I'm waiting in line on every single NM in Abyssea. Wasn't these add ons supposed to eleminate the need of waiting for something to occur? The staggering system doesn't help one bit with that part. Also it favors certain jobs over others because of they have a wider range of the procs.

2. Skilling up.

I think there's no event in the game that's as mind numbing as skilling up. Why do I have to abuse the system to level up skills that never skill up otherwise? I'm spamming protect on generals in Besieged or using a script so I can do it AFK. I'm spamming cures on undead to level up healing magic. I'm holding a ton of mobs in Abyssea so I can use Retaliation on Warrior to speed up skilling. I'm spamming tier 1 nukes to skill up elemental magic. Not to mention leveling up a skill past 200 is very slow and it doesn't help that certain skills can cap out as high as 360~. Basically they've replaced endless hours with killing the same crab for exp with... killing the same crab for skill ups.

3. Old zones being reused for new content.

I know the game is really old and it's running on the mousewheel called PS2, but I can't help but feel cheated in one way when they keep adding new content in old zones I've used for many years. It's one of the things that gradually will make me lose interest in the game, there's just no new places to explore.
    (6)
    Last edited by Solonuke; 08-04-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I hate:

1. Spell lock
    2. "event skipped"
    3. "please wait 1 real life day until you can make any progress with <insertquestormissionhere>"

I love:

1. My ingame friends.
    2. The feeling I get when reaching a goal I set for myself, or obtaining something I've wanted (especially when it's something I thought I'd never get).
    3. Those noob moments we all have every now and again, which will usually be the source of much laughter and amusement.
    (3)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    <3:
    1. Deathgod (NO HOMO THO) and all my other in-game friends
    2. BRDs Marching me
    3. Reaching my goal, finally getting 30 coins from WoE felt amazing, though I never even use MNK anymore.

HATE:
    1. People who TP in incorrect gear, when there are better, easier to obtain options.
    2. People who don't switch into WS sets
    3. Spell stun-lock. This is probably the thing I hate the most.
    (1)

Mission 5-2 Shadow Lord fight ~ Raogrimm makes me cry every time and gotta love Lion.

Monk ~ My favorite job in the game from day 1 ~

The music in Castle Zvahl Keep ~ I could live there.

HATE

Elitist p****s who think they are all that and who make sure everyone knows it.

Elitist p****s who think they are all that, make sure everyone knows it but are still below Rank 10 one Nation only, no other content done except Abyssea, Bronze Medal of Service, etc. In other words have done NOTHING for Van a'Diel, just themselves.

Goblins, have hated them all since always, massacre every one I can find.
    (3)
    Last edited by Octaviane; 08-04-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: oops a 1 where I didn't want it
    Proud to be "Old School" and to have completed CoP pre-nerf

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Solonuke View Post
    [..]
    Soro! MSN me, I can't play anymore

Three things I love:
    1. Me. I'm the best thing to happen to FFXI in ever.
    2. You. I love everyone. Except Moccha, but who does.
    3. Subligaria.

Three things I hate (hard to pick):
    1. Everything related to Abyssea, from staggering over the insane amount of brainless grinding to ridiculously overpowered buffs and equipment.
    2. Augments of any kind. This includes the trial system. Any kind of yellow text on my item description disgusts me.
    3. Synergy. It's a symbol of ignoring player efforts and letting old achievements and long-term investments go to waste.
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Dirtyfinger
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    I heard you don't like Haste gears.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfinger View Post
    I heard you don't like Haste gears.
    You heard wrong. Everyone loves the haste.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast