Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Oooh, I got a small idea...

Job Ability

Soul Aura
    Grants the Buffs on RDM to players within Area of Effect. Overwrites existing buffs. RDM loses said buffs.
    Recast:2minutes
    Duration: Instant

Every job can Accession as /SCH, So this isn't as broken as you might think, Plus it could be level 91+. Plus the RDM loses the buffs (having to recast them). If RDM is truly suppose to turn "Mere mortals into demi-gods" they need a strong boost to buffing potential, This would give rhyme and reason to single-target buffs RDM has.

This will also help RDMs buff parties by buffing themselves, then using the JA, everyone in range gets their buffs, but they lose their own! There could be another draw back to it, to "balance" it. But Im not creative enough to think of a good one.

It could also Spread the love of "Composure" buff durations, to the point it would even help some other mages (Due to added duration).

WHM would still have stronger potency buffs when it comes to Pro/Shell, and Barspells, but RDM being able to buff themselves then AoE it by removing it from themselves saves time and will help RDMs workload a lot. Leaving room to cure!
    (0)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 07-31-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Magian trials offer most of these "wants and wishes". Were getting a "fast cast" job abilty under manifesto.
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    One downside to your ability, Karby, is that it takes away from the AF3+2 set ability, which enhances the duration of your party's buffs. By casting self-only (say Protect, Haste, Shell, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Spikes, Aquaveil) and then Aura-ing it, you might as well not even bother. Just as a note, it might end up making the set obsolete.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Quote Originally Posted by Kensagaku View Post
    One downside to your ability, Karby, is that it takes away from the AF3+2 set ability, which enhances the duration of your party's buffs. By casting self-only (say Protect, Haste, Shell, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Spikes, Aquaveil) and then Aura-ing it, you might as well not even bother. Just as a note, it might end up making the set obsolete.
    Well, It'd only effect your own party members, there'd still be a few uses for the Composure bonus, Like alliance members, or outside of your party.. IDK

It could just get base Durationss to members and ignore Buffs to duration. Meaning Old Fashioned casting would give longer durations, but this method would be quicker? That could be the other "Balancing downside", that Duration Enhancements for the RDM aren't applied to the AoE
    (0)

I'll still believe the enhancing part on the manifesto when I see it. They have a LONG ways to go until we can even compete with Whm, Sch, Brd, Cor, and Smn, and the single target thing just simply isn't fun.

You have to realize that, at least I, have never wanted to be meleeing on HNMs. I've wanted SE to fully run with enfeebling for those types of monsters, but at the same time the weaker the monster gets the less practical enfeebling becomes. This was my idea for Rdm. For the toughest fights you pull out the big enfeebling guns and for weaker things where enfeebling isn't as practical you activate your Rdm Aura spells and contribute to the front.

The aura spell was devised to be similar to an Avatar's Favor ability where as long as you maintain the a type of aura buff on yourself everyone within an AoE radius of yourself will receive that buff as long as they stay within that radius. If they leave the radius the buff wears off quickly and they will be stripped of that buff until they enter the AoE radius again.

Perhaps the strongest aspect of the aura spell is that it cooperates with our composure and essentially gives allies buffs the same duration as our buffs. If for example if there was a Hastaura instead of having to recast that haste every 3-5 minutes across the party you only have to recast it every 9-12 mins once.

The biggest downfall as mentioned is that their usefulness plummets on HNM stye monsters where you want as few people forward as possible, but the aura spell was never intended for those style of fights. Would an AoE spell be better? Well no ****, but it's called a limitation and it's attempting to stay with the thematic restrictions given in the past. That's not to say that you are worthless for those fights. No...

For those fights you pull out the heavy weapons, your enfeebles.

If you really think about it. Our enfeebles really don't do THAT much to a monster. Slow II is about 40% capped, but it only applies to the monsters TP phase. 40% of ONLY the monsters TP phase is pretty terrible when most of the damage comes from the big bad TP attacks. It would be nice to see SE actually take the enfeebling route all the way for these types of fights. Give us our equivalent of ancient magic enfeebling, high MP expensive enfeebling spells that actually cripple the monster.

And this is the beauty where it wraps back around again. If these spells are implemented correctly the high MP cost will be a limitation that prevents it from being cast on anything that wont survive for its full duration since it'll be impossible for the Rdm to maintain his MP supply if he's expected to cast these spells on every monster and these types of monsters aren't as restrictive of who can be on the front. You just pop your auras and do whatever you feel like doing.

Now of course there's a few things with this idea. First and most importantly, SE can't just keep giving us enfeebles that are really only useful up until the point that a DD can safely recast utsusemi between swings. If they do this they have to actually cripple the monster in a significant way. Generally in games enfeebling tends to be one of the weakest methods of slowing the death of a player. Sure slow can theoretically help your tank survive 30% longer, but a full bar of MP and a cure spell will keep that tank alive exponentially longer. The real benefit that enfeebling should be cover is protection against dangerous moves where the tank is in danger of getting 1 shotted. Of course our enfeebling does virtually nothing for this regard so I think this would be a good point of focus. Enfeebling moves that weaken the monster or at least buy enough time so that a tank can normally survive a move that would normally kill him. It also works well for the HNM style fights that these enfeebles are intended for since that threshold of protection is addressing where the danger lies in most of those fights.

(Also, I pray SE never reads my mind about that idea of a monster attack I just had in my head D: though it would be a great way to "introduce" the concept of the power in a spell adding a addle like delay to TP attacks)

The other issue is that I would try to avoid putting mage support buffs on auras. Part of the balancing of the aura buff that separates them from AoEs is that level of risk you have to expose yourself to by standing next to the mob. Adding something like a Refraura completely defeats the purpose behind it.

-----

Also, I don't think a Dual Elemental nuke would work considering not even skillchains are truly dual elemental. From what I understand skillchains just randomly pick one of the elements that its supposed to represent for its damage.
    (0)

Re: Dual-Element Skillchains.

I believe you're correct, For instance Firesday will sometimes enhance Light Skillchain, Which while having all 4 Elements present, is still suppose to deal light elemental damage (Like Dia), but instead can be enhanced by, like i said, Firesday.

I think it choses which element would present the least resists... IDK, Skimmed over a discussion on it a while back and didn't much sink in.
    (0)

Character
    Hyrist
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I understand this concern.

How about this, as an alternative?

Let the JA sacrafice our current Enhancement set, the full set of enhancements, to give to the party as a whole, effected by the same modifications to enhacement duration and composure that our gear normally would.

So say, while we have composure up, and we split our haste to the party, they would only get the normal duration haste if the RDM wasn't wearing their AF3. But with it on, it would get the same duraton bonuses it would normally get otherwise. (And RDM would just have to buff himself twice and just recast on himself.)

Working much in the same way Spirit Link does when you have mertis in Empathy.

This would prevent the workover issue of AF3+2 which, honestly doen't do all that much for us due to our limit of availability on single target buffs anyways. Refresh, Regen, and Haste, are the only things our AF3 enhances, and we've got a looong list of enhancing spells.

Or, alternatively (if the first ability seems overpowered), a JA that makes a buff we target on others "Aura" to nearby party members. Example: Just the JA, cast "Haste" on one of the DDs in AF+3. Suddenly, everyone in the melee party gets haste gets it for the duration it lasts on the target party member.
    (0)

Oops! also i meant to say with Composure it would simply (originally) Spread the duration enhancement, not the actual Composure Buff.

JA buffs would be exempt from being passed on, Only Buffs from Spells.
    (0)

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Re: Dual-Element Skillchains.

I believe you're correct, For instance Firesday will sometimes enhance Light Skillchain, Which while having all 4 Elements present, is still suppose to deal light elemental damage (Like Dia), but instead can be enhanced by, like i said, Firesday.

I think it choses which element would present the least resists... IDK, Skimmed over a discussion on it a while back and didn't much sink in.
    http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/103...ental-Affinity

Skillchains will generally pick the element that the monster is weakest to. You can use Threnodies and/or Ninjutsu to "tune" the element.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsoul View Post
    >Twilight Scythe is overpowered that's why we're nerfing it
    >Weapons with double damage compared to relic

LOGIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    \m/ (*.*) \m/ "THIS SOLUTION IS THE MOST METAL!" \m/ (*.*) \m/

Character
    Hyrist
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Right, what the concern was, is that our AF3+2 is kind of designed with the idea that we're actively casting on another individual other than ourselves, and that spreadding our buffs from ourselves would give the default tripple duration buff (+ self effect gear) rather than the typcial AF3+2 Duration increase, esentially rendering the AF3+2 effect useless.

That's why I added my suggestions to compensate for that possibility.

On a side note. The one bone SE did give us was the idea of new Enfeebles, and not to take us to off track, what enfeebles would you like to see us get, (how would you address the enemy TP move issue as well?)
    (0)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast