Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    I would crap my pants if this game got 60fps. But I don't see it happening, since any hacks you can do to increase the fps, also increase your movement speed.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

Nuu, no DirectX...
    OpenGL all the way, danggg it!

But alas, I can't really see any major improvements happening unless the support for the old consoles is finally dropped, which probably will not happen, ever, unless the players keep playing for a considerable amount of time to come, and keep the game up.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Minuo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 25
    I'd just like to say thank you square enix for finally improving the bg res ^^ it looks so much better than the old 1024x1024 limit and the added detail to the title screen and icons above your chars head make the game much easier on the eyes. Next lets try and work on better draw distance settings for environment, mobs, and objects like the trees that change shape and texture as you get closer to them. That would make the world so much more immersive accompanied by the new res settings. Could make some really nice screenshots with something like that too ^^.

As much as I would love to see this game max out at 60 fps I doubt it will happen any time soon or ever. They would have to redo all the animations for all the char, mob, & npc models, etc ... that's a lot of work, a monumental amount of work in comparison to the recent patch update. But in a realistic approach to the situation the above idea isn't a bad one at all and should take minimal effort on the dev's part and would really boost the appearance of the game.

I hope SE see's my post and really considers the idea.

What do you guys/gals think?
    (2)
    ''The world is very different for those who cannot see beyond what is placed before their very eyes.'' -LeBlanc, the Deceiver

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    The human eye can't precive higher then like 30. lol
    That's actually commonly misquoted. Very low FPS is needed for humans to associate frames as a moving display. 20~30 is when humans recognize it as fluid. But the discernment in perception is up to pretty high numbers, don't know the exact values but think it's in the 100 area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    Nuu, no DirectX...
    OpenGL all the way, danggg it!
    "No" all the way to that. OpenGL needs to accept its fate already, it was designed to fail, and it didn't disappoint.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    "No" all the way to that. OpenGL needs to accept its fate already, it was designed to fail, and it didn't disappoint.
    Oh?

I humbly disagree. Or were you actually part of the designers of it? Micro$oft might have the majority believe in that, but I don't quite see it. I may be wrong, sure, but I'd prefer OpenGL any time.

What is there not to like about?

Hmm, I wonder if I can find a certain, old'ish article.
    Oh yes, here it is. Something you (and maybe others) might or might not find an interesting read:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

And yes, I'm a Linux user, and I certainly do not miss windoze. :]
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    That explains it all. Keep moving, nothing to see here.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Arioche
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    It's completely possible to overhaul the game without having the "PS2 limitations". PC and xbox can both receive updated models and textures while the ps2 continues to use the old files, it would have no compatibility issues. But, as most have said regarding the issue, it's just too much work.
    (0)

Character
    Skie
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 79
    I think what everyone means by 60 fps is smoother animation. And I am all for that as well. Not to mention other things such as updated higher res textures, maybe better lighting, such as a smoother transition from night to day and vice verse.

But before all this, PLEASE make it so that sandstorms do not drop your fps to 10 or cause as much lag as the other weather effects.
    (1)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Oh?

I humbly disagree. Or were you actually part of the designers of it? Micro$oft might have the majority believe in that, but I don't quite see it. I may be wrong, sure, but I'd prefer OpenGL any time.

What is there not to like about?

Hmm, I wonder if I can find a certain, old'ish article.
    Oh yes, here it is. Something you (and maybe others) might or might not find an interesting read:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-...nd-not-DirectX

Untrue and mostly biased as all get out. And this from a Solaris geek.

DirectX won as the gold standard for games because MS was much faster at updating it and supporting game producers. OpenGL was designed not for 3D gaming but for 3D CAD / CAM and industrial applications. All of the big supporters and creators were industrial companies. During the start of HW accelerated 3D gaming there was a push to get better 3D OpenGL support for games, the industrial heavyweights ignored this support and considered 3D gaming to be "toys" and a "passing fad". This resistance to change allowed MS's competing standard to catch up and eventually surpass the OpenGL standard. Basically OpenGL was ruled "by committee" with most of the committee members being industrial CAD/CAM people who had absolutely zero desire to update / redesign their platforms for a new standard. OpenGL's loss as the desktop standard wasn't due to a technical limit but due to lack of support from it's creators for gaming which is what drove desktop 3D development. OpenGL was a better standard, that changed as of DirectX 8/9, now it's the lessor of the two and slowly losing support in the desktop world. Still used as the standard of choice for CAD/CAM industrial people and it's the only standard available for Unix / Linux people.

I would rather MS release binaries for Linux / Unix, then we could get some real interoperability going on.
    (0)

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalorian View Post
    I'd just like to say thank you square enix for finally improving the bg res ^^
    Thank them for what? It was always possible to do this but required a registry tweak. They just added the new resolutions to the configuration.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast