Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It's not "so little" when the data is sent to hundreds of people at once. This is a common problem when pushing files to a bunch of computers in a lab or network that is networked wirelessly. You can easily push a small file to any one of the computers quickly, but if you try to simulatenously push the one file to every other machine, the whole thing slows to a crawl because your small (say 5MB) file multipled across 30 computers simultaneously makes the access point choke because it might only have 56Mbps and a 5 MB file X 30 = way more than that.
    You are greatly overestimating how much data text really is.

One letter or a hundred thousand letters, it makes no difference.
    (0)

Player
    I really like it but if its not fixed I wont use it. why bother turning it off every time i don't know how many people will bother turning it off every time ever. Thanks for a unless feature that really didn't need added if this is how its going to be.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    One letter or a hundred thousand letters, it makes no difference.
    You really know nothing about TCP/IP networking.
    (3)

We are aware that making the default setting for the Yell filter be set to OFF upon log in would be more convenient. However, for this initial time-frame we need to check how this new feature will affect world/area lag, as well as lag for each player. Due to this, we decided to set the default to ON so there would not be any huge lag right from the start. Rest assured that it will not be like forever and once we confirm the server load status, we will look into changing the default settings as well as expanding this feature to other areas.
    (16)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

/signed.

No one will leave PJ if they think they will miss out on groups because people decide not to /yell because so many people have it turned off

Oh thanks, Camate!

I posted before I saw your post.
    (1)

Character
    Kwate
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are aware that making the default setting for the Yell filter be set to OFF upon log in would be more convenient. However, for this initial time-frame we need to check how this new feature will affect world/area lag, as well as lag for each player. Due to this, we decided to set the default to ON so there would not be any huge lag right from the start. Rest assured that it will not be like forever and once we confirm the server load status, we will look into changing the default settings as well as expanding this feature to other areas.
    Camate keep in mind also, you can't get a true gauge on how this will be used, or how effective it would be as most people will not use it for the sheer inconvenience of it. The tests imo won't be accurate as I for one will not use it knowing most people (especially the ones who don't read forums) won't know what the /yell feature is let alone change the filter.
    (1)

Character
    Jimb
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Would you guys all rather they have it so its not filtered, have the servers crash repeatably if it is unable to handle yells and then have it removed?
    (2)

Character
    Aodecant
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    Would you guys all rather they have it so its not filtered, have the servers crash repeatably if it is unable to handle yells and then have it removed?
    Given the validity of Kwate's post, namely the fact that we won't know if they will crash repeatedly given the sample size of the test? Yes, I would rather that happen just to get it over with.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Thanks for letting us know on this one.
    (3)

Character
    Kiroko
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwate View Post
    Camate keep in mind also, you can't get a true gauge on how this will be used, or how effective it would be as most people will not use it for the sheer inconvenience of it. The tests imo won't be accurate as I for one will not use it knowing most people (especially the ones who don't read forums) won't know what the /yell feature is let alone change the filter.
    I fully agree with you. I'm not going to turn on the yell function every time I log onto FF, that's just stupid. I would much rather keep sitting in PortJeuno like I've been doing and wait for shouts. Like everyone else says about not wanting the servers to lag and crash, not enough people are even going to use the function to be able to give us an accurate reading on how the yell command lags servers. I was slightly excited over this new feature, but its not worth the hassle. Another one for the trash bin.
    (0)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast