Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    The only job that should get true 2H Weapon dual wield is Warrior, and the ability for it in the FF franchise is called "Monkey Grip."

Meanwhile, samurai should get an ability that allows them to -equip- a 1handed weapon into their offhand slot and have it appear on them as they fight with their Great Katana. They can't use it, but then you can an additional ability that allows them to access weaponskills from that weapon and use them with Great Sword.

Its the best of both worlds. You keep Samurai from looking like complete idiots dual wielding Great katana (which is a trashy, "Omg, so cool!" movie gimmick at best), but you allow them access to additional weapon skills by embodying the classic image of a Samurai with a Katana and a Wakizashi.
    (2)

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    The only job that should get true 2H Weapon dual wield is Warrior, and the ability for it in the FF franchise is called "Monkey Grip."

Meanwhile, samurai should get an ability that allows them to -equip- a 1handed weapon into their offhand slot and have it appear on them as they fight with their Great Katana. They can't use it, but then you can an additional ability that allows them to access weaponskills from that weapon and use them with Great Sword.

Its the best of both worlds. You keep Samurai from looking like complete idiots dual wielding Great katana (which is a trashy, "Omg, so cool!" movie gimmick at best), but you allow them access to additional weapon skills by embodying the classic image of a Samurai with a Katana and a Wakizashi.
    Well first off, if you read the top of the 2nd page, you will learn that dual wielding great katanas is a real style. like hasso and seigan. secondly, im not understanding the logic behind supporting war dual wielding 2h weapons, but sams "looking like idiots" dual wielding great katans. but the wieldin the 1 handed weapon and having access to its weapon skills sounds nice.
    (2)
    The one who walks the road of Twilight. Bow to no one. Defeat everything.

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBass View Post
    Well first off, if you read the top of the 2nd page, you will learn that dual wielding great katanas is a real style. like hasso and seigan. secondly, im not understanding the logic behind supporting war dual wielding 2h weapons, but sams "looking like idiots" dual wielding great katans. but the wieldin the 1 handed weapon and having access to its weapon skills sounds nice.
    WAR dual wielding is established in the FF franchise -- that's the difference. Yes, dual wielding Katana is a style, but its a different thing than what Samurai uses. Looking at the job as it has been represented in the game, the class is closer to more classical imagery and representations of Kenjutsu. Sure, there's Nitojutsu, which uses dual wielding, but that's a Daito and a wakizashi (effectively a Great Katana and a Katana), not two Great Katana.

That's the difference. I say, if you're going to go that route, give Warrior Monkey Grip and give Samurai a trait representative or derivative of Nitojutsu (i.e. Augmenting a 2H weapon with a 1H weapon equiped in the offhand slot) -- And the reason for that is the Warrior is the "wreckless barbarian" that deals damage indiscriminately and Samurai is supposed to be the elegant and efficient fighter -- and flailing dual Great Katanas around is far from elegant or efficient.

Dual wielding a spear and a short sword was a common historical thing too, but you're not using history to argue that Lancer should get dual wield are you? I think this method incorporates two different elements that both respect the baseline of the jobs as well as allow for additional traits that add a great amount of variety and creativity to the game.

SAM suddenly allows itself and other classes access to additional weapon skills -- broadening their versatility and damage output through weapon skills options (like its supposed to do now.)

WAR adds additional damage to jobs its subbed under through baseline damage increases like it does now.

It keeps either job from becoming the new "must have" sub, and allows them to retain their individuality and relevant with regard to their history and story line purpose.
    (1)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 07-28-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Character
    Darkbass
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    You make some good points, but you are mostly missing the point... a lot of this stuff was covered in the first page. As far as dual wielding great katanas go, in my original post i stated that only light types of great katana should go in the off hand (like the kanesada types or more commonly known as the soboro sukehiro type), since those were light enough to wield with one hand, and kicked around some ideas with the mechanics of it on the first page. Samurai are diciplined fighters with a few weapons. dual wielding great katanas wouldnt change this fact. Just because war has had a history with monkey grip, doesnt mean it samurai would look stupid doing this. Its like, you're saying its ok for war to do this and look stupid because it has a history with doing it anyway, and its "not as disciplined" as sam so thats fine. Thats not the case, so moot point. How it looks is up to the developers, and they wouldnt make it look "silly". the purpose of this is to introduce they idea and the mechanics of it. And i have also agreed with the idea of other 2h jobs getting their own unique dual wield. Drg getting a lance and a short sword would be sweet^^. Again the idea of gaining access to weaponskills of the offhand weapon is very nice.
    (1)
    The one who walks the road of Twilight. Bow to no one. Defeat everything.

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBass View Post
    You make some good points, but you are mostly missing the point... a lot of this stuff was covered in the first page. As far as dual wielding great katanas go, in my original post i stated that only light types of great katana should go in the off hand (like the kanesada types or more commonly known as the soboro sukehiro type), since those were light enough to wield with one hand, and kicked around some ideas with the mechanics of it on the first page. Samurai are diciplined fighters with a few weapons. dual wielding great katanas wouldnt change this fact. Just because war has had a history with monkey grip, doesnt mean it samurai would look stupid doing this. Its like, you're saying its ok for war to do this and look stupid because it has a history with doing it anyway, and its "not as disciplined" as sam so thats fine. Thats not the case, so moot point. How it looks is up to the developers, and they wouldnt make it look "silly". the purpose of this is to introduce they idea and the mechanics of it. And i have also agreed with the idea of other 2h jobs getting their own unique dual wield. Drg getting a lance and a short sword would be sweet^^. Again the idea of gaining access to weaponskills of the offhand weapon is very nice.
    Meh... I had typed out a lengthy explanation of my point, but I can't be bothered. Its funny when someone tells you that you're missing the point when they are missing yours.

I completely understand what you're saying, I understand the idea, and I understand the concept as a whole. My point is that SE is never going to destroy their entire concept of the jobs with abilities that in no way suit the legacy of that job. If you're going to ask for something, you have to forget about the "my job" element of it, and address it from the point of how to get those abilities into the game within reason and practical maintenance of each jobs established personality.

If you think that giving a job who's primary purpose overarching mastery of WEAPON SKILLS and TP management an ability that in no way accentuates that primary directive over a job who's sole purpose is to be able to wield any and all weapons to deal the most damage possible -- then I'll leave you to it.
    (1)

Player
    Niten Ichi Ryu does have techniques that use Daito (Great katana) in both hands, that's something that wikipedia seems to have left out. I've personal got to see this with my own eyes and practice it in seminars on the style, with deeper research you will find that it is there. Also its very fluid and elegant even with two Diato. Just more info to chew on ^^
    (2)
    Last edited by Wataruryu; 07-29-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataruryu View Post
    Niten Ichi Ryu does have techniques that use Daito (Great katana) in both hands, that's something that wikipedia seems to have left out. I've personal got to see this with my own eyes and practice it in seminars on the style, with deeper research you will find that it is there. Also its very fluid and elegant even with two Diato. Just more info to chew on ^^
    Not the point, but ok.

I mean I like the idea... I just don't feel it suits Samurai of all classes...
    (0)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 07-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Player
    I'm not saying I'm for or against the idea. The thread just caught my attention, and there was some romanticized ideas (mostly movie type statements)about what a samurai is. Seeing as I study the stuff extensively though, I thought I'd throw in some facts that people would find interesting; Perhaps encourage some to learn something new and fun. It just so happens the info I'm imparting is in the OP's favor, your both entitled to your opinion. Like I said in my first post it fits the samurai class because they trained in it and the art still exist. That is my point and the reasoning for my post. I'm not here to bring down anyone, or their ideas. Just saw something brought up that I have a major passion for, and wanted to share.^^
    (2)
    Last edited by Wataruryu; 07-30-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    Meanwhile, samurai should get an ability that allows them to -equip- a 1handed weapon into their offhand slot and have it appear on them as they fight with their Great Katana.
    Already exists in the form of straps and grips, except for the visual aspects. SE could add a decorative weapon to the EAF leg armor I suppose, like they did with PUP. (Big joke there.. throwing knives, juggling pins, tambourine... yet none of them can be equipped on PUP)
    (0)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
    Already exists in the form of straps and grips, except for the visual aspects. SE could add a decorative weapon to the EAF leg armor I suppose, like they did with PUP. (Big joke there.. throwing knives, juggling pins, tambourine... yet none of them can be equipped on PUP)
    You know, and the primary point of the idea...
    (0)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast