Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1

Suggestion: Raise Minimum Level to Unlock Expansion Jobs to 50

It happens every day: some new player reads somewhere that "ZOMG, NIN is the bestest job evar and you shouldn't level anything else ever!" Or maybe it's DNC. Or BLU. Or SMN. Whatever the case, these new players then start on the steepest learning curve possible by trying to unlock and level these jobs, and cannot be persuaded that, just because they can do something, they should. These would-be min/maxers then predicatbly get in over their heads and frustrated, leaving the experienced players to pick up the pieces (assuming these new players don't end up ragequitting outright).

I'm tired of it. The only way it's going to stop is if the minimum level for these jobs is raised to something realistic. Level 30 is not a realistic level to be traipsing around in Arrapago Reef. Bumping up the minium for these jobs can only improve the play experience for everyone.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo; 07-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Character
    Urat
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Also: What with the level cap increases most players, mules even, will need to take a job to 50 to sub to their level 99 main job anyways, so it's not like you're asking that much of them now.
    (0)

Character
    Covenant
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    I'm not about punishing new players just because of I did things the "hardway". Nor do I have the elistist mentality that if you don't play a job a certain way your crap. Unlocking advanced job shouldnt be torturous (even though it's really quite easy to reach cap level in present Vanadiel). Do to the current system of raising each job as the main job, then switching it to sub job. The time required is still tough to find parties at the lower level. Not to mention who say I wanna play warrior all the way to lvl 50? Or any of the other "starter" jobs. Maybe I don't even wanna use them as sub jobs.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    It happens every day: some new player reads somewhere that "ZOMG, NIN is the bestest job evar and you shouldn't level anything else ever!" Or maybe it's DNC. Or BLU. Or SMN. Whatever the case, these new players then start on the steepest learning curve possible by trying to unlock and level these jobs, and cannot be persuaded that, just because they can do something, they should. These would-be min/maxers then predicatbly get in over their heads and frustrated, leaving the experienced players to pick up the pieces (assuming these new players don't end up ragequitting outright).

I'm tired of it. The only way it's going to stop is if the minimum level for these jobs is raised to something realistic. Level 30 is not a realistic level to be traipsing around in Arrapago Reef. Bumping up the minium for these jobs can only improve the play experience for everyone.
    In effect, what you are saying is this:

You have to level two or more of your starter jobs to 50. (FoV, GoV until 30 then Abyssea leech to 50), stop, unlock your choice of advanced jobs, race to level 30 in a couple hours then Abyssea leech until 90, go back and skill up everything, get AF 3, 20 Empy Weapons, bam, done.

Even at level 50 (and a lot at 90) there are just some people who can't manage to run around Arrapago Reef, or make it to the past to unlock DNC and SCH while others can do it at level 30. The 5 non-Maat jobs require a little extra effort and sometimes a bit of help to get. Not an issue for me at least. It's more enjoyable if you have someone along.

Evil grin here. I do like the idea of not being able to unlock advanced jobs until your starter jobs, or at least 1 are 50. Delays the process by a couple days if you keep at it, maybe a week tops.

Sorry I had to make a major edit here, I was extremely tired at the time of my original post yet still had to suppress a big smile when I saw the um potential here.............................
    (0)
    Last edited by Octaviane; 07-10-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: needz more editing lol I was dog tired
    Proud to be "Old School" and to have completed CoP pre-nerf

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I'm not about punishing new players just because of I did things the "hardway".
    I'm talking about new players punishing themselves (and those around them) because someone told them that such-and-such expansion pack job is the best ever and all others are crap.

Unlocking advanced job shouldnt be torturous (even though it's really quite easy to reach cap level in present Vanadiel).
    First off, to clarify, I'm not talking about all advanced jobs, just the expansion pack jobs. PLD, BRD, RNG, etc. don't seem to suffer from the same problems as NIN and COR. Killing 100 monsters with Chaosbringer isn't the same as expecting a level 30 job to successfully navigate to (and within) Norg. I can all but guarantee you that the person who wants to unlock SAM didn't spend his first thirty levels on a job that can cast Sneak.

And it's not even (just) about unlocking the job itself. Using the example of NIN, say you've managed to get past the tortuous leech fight to unlock the job; that's just the beginning. You're now expected to do several more Norg quests (with the associated fame) when your highest level job is 30.

Or then there's the brand-new SMN, whose highest level job is 30, who's expected to get through the mini-fork fights, and even then has absolutely zero chance of getting one of the terrestrial avatars.

Just about every job that came with an expansion pack, while technically possible to unlock at 30, all but flat-out requires you have a higher-level job available to you (be it your own or some hapless experienced player suckered into this fool's errand) to support the new job in lower levels, in the name of getting spells and other gear.

Not to mention who say I wanna play warrior all the way to lvl 50? Or any of the other "starter" jobs. Maybe I don't even wanna use them as sub jobs.
    Because someone, somewhere, is going to have to have a job at 50+ until you're able to navigate Jugner Forest [S] or Caedarva Mire on your own.
    (0)

Character
    Urat
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Every advanced job in the game can use one of the six jobs as a viable sub job in some way. Therefore, no matter what advanced job you want to play, there's an obvious level 50 job that you would take to 50 to unlock said advanced job. You should be leveling it to 50 either way, so no point in complaing.

Besides, it's not like its THAT much effort to get a job from level 30 (what you'd need to get either way) to 50. That's, what? 2 hours in cleave burn?
    (0)

Character
    Laciante
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 93
    I don't see the point of this...
    people in the past were able to fulfill the requirements of getting these jobs when leveling was harder, with fewer available people. If you don't have the foresight to make friends and level a sneak/invis job (rdm, whm and dnc are backbone subjobs in my mind...) then take it on yourself to get to 50, no need to punish those who are capable.
    (2)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laciante View Post
    If you don't have the foresight to make friends and level a sneak/invis job (rdm, whm and dnc are backbone subjobs in my mind...)
    "I want to be a Dark Knight!"
    "Then level Warrior first."

"I want to be a Samurai!"
    "Then level White Mage first."

See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Laciante View Post
    then take it on yourself to get to 50, no need to punish those who are capable.
    It is easier to get to 50 now than it was to get to 30 2-3 years ago. This is hardly "punishment" any more.

And the difference between 30 and 50 when it comes to these jobs is the difference between "assisting someone" and "doing it for them." Maybe running around Arrapago Reef as a BLU40 to get the artifact weapon works for some people, but not for 95% of them. Those people, never having experienced any other job at that level, will be left with the impression that the entire game is that riduclously stupidhard. And if the only answer is "You should have planned better," they'll find a different game that works better for them, and S-E will have one less paying subscriber.

And getting back to "helping vs. doing it for them," it will be that much more appealing for experienced players to reach out and help newer players when they're prevented from getting themselves that much in over their heads. Personally, there's nothing that makes me as allergic to responding to a request for assistance as when it comes from a rank 1 NIN.
    (0)

This seems to be in my opinion, a non-issue.

Let these people play the jobs they want. If they're easily influenced by others to the point they're freaking out/quitting over it, They will be doing that rather its level 30 or 50. In my eyes only i see little to no point in this. People either will learn how to play their job, or they won't. Restricting them to one job for longer time won't fix their stupid.

Stupid people will be stupid no matter how long they're stuck on a job. This will just be a lot of work for the Devs and will not fix the core of the problem in my eyes. You can't really change people like the ones mentioned by forcing them to do something for a little longer.

Helping new players should not be "forcing them to play how i think is best for them". Let them figure the game out themselves, let them enjoy it themselves. if they get told NIN is awesome and level NIN, who cares?

When i first started playing i leveled THF to 30 and unlocked SMN, Played SMN for a bit then unlocked NIN... Picked SMN back up to 75, then leveled THF to 75, then NIN. I bounced back and forth through quite a few jobs like that. Eventually leveling a frickton. I learned all of this back when the game was still new too >_>

Furthermore, a lot of those jobs you'd be depriving them off for ~20 or so extra levels are actually really amazing subjobs for those levels. Job30/DNC15 is basically a solo god, locking it out to 50 or so is bordering cruelty. /NIN is another example of a needed Sub-job those levels (Hint:Utsusemi, Dual wield)
    (3)

Character
    Ihnako
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Why not let everyone level their first job to 90 then unlock the or better one(!) advanced job(s)?
    The OP is totaly unrealistic and unfair toward the whole playerbase.
    With Lv30 a player should know the basics of his job so he can decide if he likes it or not.
    Delaying the whole process doesn't gain anything beside more player will leech in easymode abyssea.

You should think twice before you write absurd requests.

And by the way - I like WAR (now I call PUP and DRG my main) but my first 75-Job was BRD and that wasn't the allmighty job at that time. I did leveled 70% of all aviable jobs to 75 the old school way with all ups and downs you could experience. So don't tell me anyhing would change if you just raise the level for doing a certain quest.
    (3)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast