Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    you can just do that with one of those newfangled gaming keyboard things.
    No, thanks. I'd rather to pay the dev team more than that expensive keyboard. Not everyone has a super computer though.
    (0)

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I don't agree. It takes money to make money and what you mention on the part of the company not being able to do it is pure speculation. Fracture? Nah. People will make their own accounts. But look this game is meant to be played with others. I don't think you have read where SE said if the game gains popularity they would continue to support it. They said that, and one of the things they wanted to do was invest in newer servers--again not my words. They also said they have a decent size in that same year and that they set the goal for 2021 because they wanted to ease the tension and have their team not feel pressured. But as far as POL, trust me it can handle A LOT MORE traffic. This game at its peek had 500k subscribers. POL will be fine.

I have read what you talked about with regards to the "build". Instead of it being a build, what was said was they didn't save the source code. It is why they needed the PlayStation 2 Devkits to develop for this game to this day--because they do not have the existing source code. That is different than them not having access to the original game without updates.

As far as the private servers is concerned, SE can just make a C&D and be done with it. The game is SE's property and they are in it to make money. If they were to do it or not, that's on them and I am sure many who host private servers expect it and those that play on them know this is a strong possibility. Nothing wrong with SE protecting their IP either. I don't see where it can't be done. I see the disenfranchisement but this game doesn't stop people from having two characters. Now, one can have their opinion the matter, and that is a personal belief on splitting the community and a valid discussion to have. But I think for sure, the other points aren't a concern.
    (0)
    Last edited by Seish; 11-23-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Let me interject; I realized that people are still unfamiliar with all of the accommodations within the menu interface. You can do this with your mouse if you wish or of 'course the proper way to play FFXI with your keyboard. Anyhow from the Menu -> 5th selection down is *Synthesis*. Click on that. Another menu will appear, click on *History*. This will display your recent synthesis actions. Click on the recipe you'd like to repeat from that history list. As long as you have the required materials in your inventory when you select *Ok* it will repeat that synthesis.

There is also a sub-menu to access from the synthesis history list that allows you to designate *Favorite* as you wish or *Unfavorite* (self-explanatory).
    (3)
    Last edited by TullemoreAsuraFFXI; 11-23-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehira View Post
    No, thanks. I'd rather to pay the dev team more than that expensive keyboard. Not everyone has a super computer though.
    A basic gaming keyboard costs less today than the standard membrane keyboard I bought for my MS DOS machine like 25 years ago. You don't need a "super computer" to use one either. It is child's play to program your keyboard to automatically press enter every so often.

This will display your recent synthesis actions. Click on the recipe you'd like to repeat from that history list. As long as you have the required materials in your inventory when you select *Ok* it will repeat that synthesis.
    For clarity to others, this is what I'm referring to, and it's how you can essentially press enter a bunch of times to repeat syntheses.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-23-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seish View Post
    I don't agree. It takes money to make money and what you mention on the part of the company not being able to do it is pure speculation. Fracture? Nah. People will make their own accounts. But look this game is meant to be played with others. But I don't think you have read where SE said if the game gains popularity they would continue to support it. They said that, and one of the things they wanted to do was invest in newer servers--again not my words. They also said they have a decent size in that same year and that they set the goal for 2021 because they wanted to ease the tension and have their team not feel pressured. But as far as POL, trust me it can handle A LOT MORE traffic. This game at its peek had 500k subscribers. POL will be fine.

I have read what you talked about with regards to the "build". Instead of it being a build, what was said was they didn't save the source code. It is why they needed the PlayStation 2 Devkits to develop for this game to this day--because they do not have the existing source code. That is different than them not having access to the original game without updates.

As far as the private servers is concerned, SE can just make a C&D. That simple. The game is SE's property and they are in it to make money. That simple. If they were to do it or not, that's on them and I am sure many who host private servers expect it and those that play on them know this is a strong possibility. Nothing wrong with SE protecting their IP either. I don't see where it can't be done. I see the disenfranchisement but this game doesn't stop people from having two characters. Now, one can have their opinion the matter, and that is a personal belief on splitting the community and a valid discussion to have. But I think for sure, the other points aren't a concern.
    I mean, you can live in a fantasy land where this will happen all you want, but it's not going to happen.

And yes, it will fracture the community. Even if just a small number of people leave live for classic, it will cause harm. It will force the devs to divide resources- Something has to happen with "classic" or people will grow bored and stop playing. It can't just stay frozen in time forever.

Look, I will try to relocate the past discussion there was on it for you, but it is true- they don't have archives of the early builds of the game.

And as I said before- even if they can do it, the community needs to come ot an agreement about what they consider to be classic. The game didn't release globally at the same time like WoW did. For North America and the rest of the world outside Japan, Rise of the Zilart *is* the beginning. But for Japan, the game was out for a long time before it came to the US and the game was very different then from w hat most of us remember.. Then there are the people who just want to go back to before abyssea allegedly ruined the game (which is an argument I don't agree with but opinions vary wildly on this subject).

It is not going to happen. There have been people coming here and elsewhere asking for it for years, and it was essentially shot down by SE a while back. It. Will. Not. Happen.

as an extra bonus:
    A lot of people who ask for this suffer from the rose-tinted glasses effect. Even if you get to have a server from XYZ year in FFXI's past, you'll find that it isn't just the same:
    -You've done it before, so you don't get the same feeling from completing it again.
    -Many players will tell you, half of what made FFXI so fun was the community- grinding together, doing contents together, since FFXI made you group for almost everything. But only a certain subset of the population wants to do "classic server" in the first place, and some people are just done with the game entirely and a classic server won't bring them back. So the population will be much lower than any real FFXI server ever was- It will be harder to group and that sense of community will just not be there the same as it was originally.
    -Many people who play on classic servers become discouraged when they discover they have to start over from the beginning (i.e. can't have your old character in the state it was at the time) and don't really want to go through the grind all over again. This is the exact reason I didn't bother with WoW classic. I did like vanilla better than anything that came after. But the only thing I was truly interested in was doing Alterac Valley (before they changed it from an epic ongoing battle to just a short thing) and maybe UBRS, which I never beat while it was current. But I didn't want to spend dozens of hours leveling up a new character from the beginning to do those two things.

Feel free to read the lengthy thread on the subject here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...Classic-Server

and as one of the later comments in that thread notes, you can play "classic" on any server on the live game already. All you have to do is not complete the limit break quest past level 75 (or level 50 if you want to limit yourself more to the content available at JP launch). If you want to play with others, just use the level sync feature or find friends willing to subject themselves to the same limitations. This is something you couldn't do in FFXIV btw, because it doesn't require any special quest or anything to raise the level limit, it's merely base don the expansions you have on your account.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-23-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Dude I was about to post but your edit to your shorter post to this longer one killed it. As you said in that post, it is the communities to descide. I agree and with the success of WOW classic, and looking at how many posts on here, and in other forums, asking and pleading for this to be a thing suggests there is enough die hard players who want it. So what if people are gonna redo it. Games have something called replay value. It's why the used game market is huge.

I have read the topics concerning the original build, but it wasn't called a build it was the source code. And as you said, that was heresay. You can have the original game history and run with that. But you cannot recreate the wheel easily outside of that without the source code. It's why they use the PlayStation 2 Devkits even when the PlayStation 2 is no longer supported.

But look it seems you are invested in your character. No one is telling you not to. But if a classic came out, people could have multiple. And you see this with people that play on here and in Eden and Nasomi. It's a thing, people will play both. And I think that at the end of the day that's enough for us. But you also need to remember a company is in it for the money too. They have people that they have to pay, and if a game doesn't make it gets cut out. So if Square could make money on this and make the game relevant, as to what you pointed out that it has been brought up a lot in the past, then there should be strong consideration, on both sides, the merit of it. But the game can handle it and the infrastructure is there and would be invested if there is potential. Nasomi doubled in size the moment Ninja went there, for example. And who isn't to say in the age of streamers and professional gaming that it wouldn't take? I think it would.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    But look it seems you are invested in your character. No one is telling you not to. But if a classic came out, people could have multiple.
    I think you'll find that most people are / were invested in their characters to a point that they wouldn't want to start over for a classic server. And as I added to the previous post- You can easily make the game "classic" already, minus job adjustments and QOL additions. Just don't complete the level 80 limit break quest, and bam. You're locked to doing content a level 75 can do. Find some like minded friends and you're all set. You don't need a special server or mode.

FFXI was just never a big enough game to begin with for a special server to be financially viable.
    (0)

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Tell that to the people who have asked and brought it up before me and the growth of private servers. Now you are speaking of how you personally feel about it. But SE needs to bring people in. That is the remedy for the problem.
    (0)

Character
    Typral
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    A basic gaming keyboard costs less today than the standard membrane keyboard I bought for my MS DOS machine like 25 years ago. You don't need a "super computer" to use one either. It is child's play to program your keyboard to automatically press enter every so often.

For clarity to others, this is what I'm referring to, and it's how you can essentially press enter a bunch of times to repeat syntheses.
    You're advocating for automation, that is against the rules actually. With the keyboard thing.
    (0)

Character
    Ilisidi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I consider CoP classic, because that's when I started playing with game getting released in the EU game, that's where the game was at.

Quote Originally Posted by Seish View Post
    Tell that to the people who have asked and brought it up before me and the growth of private servers. Now you are speaking of how you personally feel about it. But SE needs to bring people in. That is the remedy for the problem.
    Aren't those private servers free to play? They aren't a measure of how many people are willing to pay for a classic server.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ilisidi; 11-23-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast