Page 10 of 297 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Personally I'd respect someone dedicated A LOT of time and patience on "something", let it be playing a job in FFXI and grinding gear for it, or playing table tennis, or playing piano. It's not a choice everyone can make because time is valuable.

I don't respect ass/retard(you know who I'm talking about ) with accomplishment though, but if someone really invest a lot of time on accomplishments and not being an ass about it then yes, that deserves respect.
    It's not an accomplishment. There is no skill required. It is not hard. ANYONE can do it, at any time, if they feel like it. Why don't they? Because it sucks. It's not fun. It feels like work, like a job. And if Square Enix wants to keep this game alive going forward, they will change (as they already have been) a lot of things that are not fun.

Why do you play a game? For fun. If you're not having fun, then I question why you're playing (and paying for it at that). And if you don't have every Mythic (since you hold them in such high regard), I question why you don't, especially if you see it as so much fun to go and get them.

Why should a game reward the people who have nothing better to do with their life every day than solo a bunch of meaningless content that takes no effort, skill, and is simply a large amount of "work" for a powerful weapon? Not just a powerful weapon, the best one in the game, by a long shot.

And what makes you think that this is sacred and should not be changed? Get your nostalgia goggles off. You really need to play another game and realize how stupid this is in 2014.
    (1)
    Last edited by Crevox; 01-25-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    So you believe that by taking away random King pops and lowering the recast on Assault Tags to 6 hours that the accomplishment of a Mythic would be negated?
    I said nothing about about pops and tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    It's not an accomplishment. There is no skill required. It is not hard. ANYONE can do it, at any time, if they feel like it. Why don't they? Because it sucks. It's not fun. It feels like work, like a job. And if Square Enix wants to keep this game alive going forward, they will change (as they already have been) a lot of things that are not fun.

Why do you play a game? For fun. If you're not having fun, then I question why you're playing (and paying for it at that). And if you don't have every Mythic (since you hold them in such high regard), I question why you don't, especially if you see it as so much fun to go and get them.

Why should a game reward the people who have nothing better to do with their life every day than solo a bunch of meaningless content that takes no effort, skill, and is simply a large amount of "work" for a powerful weapon? Not just a powerful weapon, the best one in the game, by a long shot.

And what makes you think that this is sacred and should not be changed? Get your nostalgia goggles off. You really need to play another game and realize how stupid this is in 2014.

If you don't have fun with this game how about just don't do it? Instead of taking away other ppls fun?

Whether something is "accomplishment" and fun or not is not depend on YOUR opinion. It seems to me that you choose not to go after it because you don't value it and see it as a waste of time, so you downplay it to justify your choice.

But there are people with DIFFERENT opinion from you, they don't see it as a waste of time and view it as an accomplishment, period. You can't change that.

I play the game for fun, and obviously my kind of fun(playing RPG and living in a virtual world) does not came from finishing a Mythic with half of the requirement? Duh.

Also there's zero logic in "you have fun with mythic, thus you should have every Mythic". I have fun finishing mythic quest doesn't mean I'll have fun to do it 19 more times. Same reason why I only ever beat a RPG once, but I never play new game+. I have fun first time playing it, but after 2nd time it became doing the same thing, so why should I play through it 2nd time after 1st done?

I play tons of other games that's not FFXI, thank you. I like FFXI as it is now, even though I'm not happy with some recent game direction. I don't need YOU to tell me what game to choose. If I don't like game direction to a point that I can't tolerate it, I will cancel account before you tell me to.

All I see is /rage /rage /rage this game sucks because I can't justify myself to build a mythic, maybe you should play other games instead because this isn't the game for you.
    (2)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-25-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1

Btw Crevox, you can finish a relic in FFXIV in less than 5hrs, if you like easy and fast weapon so much why don't you go there? lol

Personally I cancel sub after I finish a relic in 5hr and coil T1~4 first night trying in less than 3hr though, lol.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    I said nothing about about pops and tags.
    Part of why I keep saying you're not even reading my posts, because thats the main thing I have even been talking about wanting done, the Alexandrite part is something I would like, but not something I really care about in the end by comparison to the others.
    (1)

5. 01-25-2014 04:05 PM

Player
    So re; Mythic w/e, its good that people who want longterm challenges have that option. Theres no shortages of easy options people can take instead, and get perfectly serviceable gear from. I think SE has made a lot of good decisions this year, to balance the game out and make it enjoyable for BOTH groups of players, those who like long-term grind and those who like microwave-dinner gaming.
    Mythic is not challenging. It is easy. It just takes forever.

And no, it's not balanced, because the gear from it is the best by far for SMN. Nirvana is beyond everything else by far, nothing even comes close to comparing. You have no choice; if you want to be a good SMN, prepare to waste hours of your life.

And learning the piano or whatever else can't even be compared to this. I find it very strange you would even bring that up, but that only returns me to my original opinion of you.
    (2)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    Part of why I keep saying you're not even reading my posts, because thats the main thing I have even been talking about wanting done, the Alexandrite part is something I would like, but not something I really care about in the end by comparison to the others.
    I did, and I do not disagree with the pop adjustment nor your idea about assault. Although assault isn't THAT bad, but that's just my opinion.

Alex 30k--->10k is downright face slapping IMO. Unless they're giving 20k alex refund to all the mythic owners.

Mythic is not challenging. It is easy. It just takes forever.

And no, it's not balanced, because the gear from it is the best by far for SMN. Nirvana is beyond everything else by far, nothing even comes close to comparing. You have no choice; if you want to be a good SMN, prepare to waste hours of your life.

And learning the piano or whatever else can't even be compared to this. I find it very strange you would even bring that up, but that only returns me to my original opinion of you.
    Mythic is not challenging, it's a LONG TERM GOAL. Something that's not supposed to be done after a few short challenging fight like delve boss or VD battle fields.

You're viewing the purpose of Mythic wrong, and just down right denying the existence of long term goal. You don't understand the concept of long term goal, don't you?

Mythic is required to be the best SMN, but not "good" SMN. Most of the "good" SMN(or insert other job here) that I know of have no mythic/relic/empy.

Not sure what's the difference between building a mythic and learning a skill, learning a new skill is also a goal that can't be completed in short amount of time, just like mythic.
    (1)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-25-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    Afania is 100% right on this whole subject.

Many gamers enjoy challenging games, with long term punishment/reward systems. Many gamers enjoy easy games. The beauty of FFXI in 2013 is that it offers BOTH challenging and easy. In the older FFXI (imho) it was challenging all the way, just getting a dunes party at lvl 16 could take you forever. If you wanted to lvl BST to 75 in 2004, it meant soloing the whole lvl 1-75 without books, empress bands, or anything, plus it was pre-xp patch so easy-prey mobs gave you like 15xp. The jobs were harder back then too, before the various patches. Especially BST and PUP which I solod back then and de-lvelled every day lol, solo because you never got invites on those in the 2004-2006 era. So even levelling your job was a huge big fat challenge.

Now it is much more easy to level, skill-up, obtain very powerful gear. Which means that people who want quick and easy have that option across the board. But there are still challenging aspects which are what keep a lot of more hard-headed gamers playing FFXI. I spent like 3 years killing MM before Spurrer Beret dropped, another six months getting two -6 PDT rings and Wivre Pin / Refresh+1. These are self-imposed challenges, which I chose to do because they were incredibly low % drops.. If they had been super easy drops I would not have got the same adrenaline rush I got when the rare item finally popped up in the box. Achievement is a thrill, especially after working on something for years. Also if you like challenging, you can still do old content in old gear, I sometimes go fight Lillith Ascendant with my turbo animator and lvl 75 gear, its a buzz fight and you might clear the battle at 25-29 mins and on like 15hp lol. Using the new iLvl gear its a 3-4 minute fight btw.
    So re; Mythic w/e, its good that people who want longterm challenges have that option. Theres no shortages of easy options people can take instead, and get perfectly serviceable gear from. I think SE has made a lot of good decisions this year, to balance the game out and make it enjoyable for BOTH groups of players, those who like long-term grind and those who like microwave-dinner gaming.
    Achievement is completely depend on how you view it. Crevox view Mythic "not an accomplishment and not worth respecting" because it doesn't fit his criteria of being an accomplishment, that doesn't mean everyone would have same POV, and he has zero right to downplay it.

There are ppl who view hitting lv 99 an accomplishment, even though it's easy. There are ppl who view beating AA normal an accomplishment even though it's still easy. There are ppl who view killing tojil an accomplishment, there are ppl who view getting a relic in FFXIV an accomplishment even though it's less than 5hr of work.

I don't view any of the above accomplishment anything worth bragging about because they're easy to me, but that's MY opinion. That doesn't mean it's not an accomplishment for other people.

One can work in a bread factory cutting bread for 20 years, after 20 years he become a manager of the factory.

By Crevox's logic he has no accomplishment and not worth respecting, because anyone can cut bread, it doesn't require skill, he just happened to cut it long enough to snag the position of a manager. That doesn't mean everyone has same opinion.

If someone spent a long time building a mythic or grind a gear, I'd respect it and view it as an accomplishment, unless that person is an ass or suck at that job, lol.
    (4)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-25-2014 at 08:14 PM.

9. 01-26-2014 12:20 AM

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm in my 40s and I totally couldn't care less what any random strangers on the internet think about me or my views on gaming. Age does that to you. Plus I've been gaming since 1981 and during that time I have totally formed opinions on gaming 'work ethics' and overcoming challenges. Early platform games involved jumping from floor to floor, onto elevators etc. One mistake, fall off the platform, game over and the level reset to level 1. Beating those games involved endless grind, repeating the same exact platforms over and over till you perfected it. And that was the very birth origins of all videogaming. Most games since then have had that as the core precept. So I totally don't see why building weapons or whatever where you do the same things over and over for ages, is somehow not acceptable in games. Its always been that way lol.
    But back on the subject, yes mythic is better. But that doesn't mean the game isn't more balanced now. Back in the old days it was RME or some AH junk, magians, NM drop weaps which were all feeble compared to RME. Same with armors, you either had the really nice hard to get stuff, or you had junk. Now you can buy an eminence scimitar for 7k sparks (45 minutes work) which is a weapon that hits hard, no aftermath but its a solid piece to swing at mobs. So even if you don't have the RME, you can pick up a damaging lvl 117 weapon in 45 minutes. I'm sorry you can't see how that is very balanced, compared to the old days.
    Re; summoner, maybe SE will add a weapon that is at least nearer to the mythic, and is easymode to get. Idk because I don't play summoner.
    Re; "its not challenging it just takes forever." I would say that working thousands of hours to build something is challenging, regardless of if the mobs are easy or the battles are repetitive. Because halfway through you might be sick and tired of it, you are challenged by the fact it involves so much grind, if you keep working on it you have overcome the challenge. This is 9-5 stuff, really, work = challenge, doing something that takes thousands of hours has to be considered work / effort / challenge.
    I think it's pointless to mention how "old way" is like lol. He isn't going to accept the concept of long term goal, something quite unique to XI. Nor the concept of "not everyone can get/want to get the best gear". Nor "live another life in a MMO".

I blame current-gen MMO and how main stream gaming media having such negative POV toward the way FFXI is. Now every title just put the best gear in game and obtainable by beating the hardest raid boss, and the purpose of playing those MMO is to obtain the best gear after beating the hardest raid boss, thus the game is "bad" if the best gear isn't obtainable in reasonable amount of time. Because the entire purpose of playing those MMO is to beat stuff and get shiny.

The purpose of Mythic isn't even "hey, the gear is here, you must obtain this because that's why you're playing this game". It's meant to be a once in a life time journey in a video game to obtain something after years of work. If you don't like to waste time on it, don't do it. Back when DRG is unplayable without ryuno because ryuno was so far ahead of 2nd best option, THAT is unbalanced. Since you can replace a DRG with another DD. This is no longer the case with 119 alternatives now. SMN also isn't that bad since SMN isn't competing against any other job....situations you need a SMN you'd get invite without Mythic, situations you don't need SMN you won't get invite with a mythic either. I don't even think most Mythic owners build Mythic because they're the best ....most build them because it's da Mythic, not Oat or w/e other 119 weapons.

FFXI has always been about living in a virtual world, and no one gets the best gear for every slot....maybe only 1~2 super hardcore per server. I don't see how "can't get mythic in reasonable amount of time" a flaw because you're not supposed to get everything, unless you happen to run out of content to do and only Mythic left. Whoever can't accept the way it is probably already quit for ages. Most of the ppl who still plays more or less want it this way, or at least able to tolerate the fact that not everyone can have a Mythic.
    (4)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-26-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Character
    Tuggard
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 70
    I am a returning player starting over. Even with my previous characters I never made it past 70 and I have never participated in FFXI's end game, nor am I in an hurry to do so. Here are my thoughts about the early game though:

1) Make Trust NPCs usable in mission fights. I want to go through the story *as* I level, not once I'm level 99. Makes the leveling experience much richer.

2) Make Trust NPCs usable for garrisons, and make garrisons soloable by a player with 3 alter egos (albeit with some difficulty). This would be a great introduction to group combat for new players. Heck, revamp garrisons completely -- so much you could do here.

3) *removed*

4) Add a mini-map (can be toggled on and off)

5) Clean up early-level quests. Some I've noticed are very finicky as to when they are available. For example, Windurst quests "Food for Thought" and "All New C-2000" were not readily available to me at level 10. Had to keep checking back.

I don't like that the lower levels are treated as a bland chore to be sped through as quickly as possible. I don't like that level 1-70ish gear is "pointless," and the idea is to get to 99 before you even bother with things like story line or quests. Personally I want to experience something other than FoV/GoV/repeat *as* I level, not once I get to 99.
    (4)
    Last edited by Blbelt; 01-26-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    So Afania if I were to take your pov about mythics and applied it to something else say CoP you would of been in the same boat as those who cried omg they're making it too easy now that they took the caps off group, yes? Because you know that somehow killed their experience and hard work beating that expansion; meanwhile everyone who hit a road block because no one would help them get past this or that fight because they didn't like doing said fight shouted in glee when the caps came off. No more road block, no more needing five blue mages n a healer or w/e for this or that fight. Because you know you suck if you couldn't get enough of the correct job combo to win on a certain fight. Just because you were able to do something the hard way and others were not doesn't mean that if they lowered the difficultly of said event/quest diminished your accomplishment. The social tiers will still be there even if there are more mythics out there. Just look at the shouts for delve a week after it came out with all of the delve weapon or gtfo bs. Now it's please come this or that job in this or that sub job or gtfo. Certain jobs are being denied of clears just because they don't fit the optimal win factor thus forcing people to level other jobs just so they can get a weapon or armor they want from something.

This is a ideas that could make the game more fun for the majority thread again you might not like an idea brought up. If something is being asked for then it's obviously something that might be needed or changed. This game is 11 years old going on 12 and people want to put up ideas for the devs to look at and think about. Doesn't mean they are going to be implemented.
    (0)

Page 10 of 297 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast