Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Neferflash
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I see many FFXI players giving up on FF14 when they get tired of that WoW combat system. FFXI combat system is slower but much more relaxing and strategic. Well see you guys back here after 1-2 months like it happened at 1.0.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectreman View Post
    Well see you guys back here after 1-2 months like it happened at 1.0.
    I'm doubtful, because FFXI is losing members faster than ever right now thanks to many problems we have which I explained in another thread, and will post here if you would like. Back when the original FFXIV came out this game was not doing nearly as bad. We basically just got an expansion, one which with it came hope, and instead of bringing, basically, a new golden age for the game, it brought chaos, anger, and a loss of many players already. We are told all the time that they lack manpower to do some things, that's why we have a long list of things over due which we were promised months ago, or even a few years ago. What happens to FFXI if its lacking this much manpower, and then on top of, say, 10% of the player base quitting because of what the expansion brought, another 20~30% quit because FFXIV comes out?

This game is sadly digging itself into a grave right now, and SE is giving us little hope for the future in my opinion because we still have yet to see them keep promises made long ago. Unless they can start to get out of the pit they have been digging to serve as the grave for this game then I am sure many people will simply go to FFXIV to try it out, see what its like, and if for some reason they choose to leave it alone, they probably wont look back at this game either. In all honesty, who can blame anyone who does though? We are told no on almost everything we ask for, or given no response, on things we do get a yes for we are often left waiting months or years to hear on progress and in some cases end up getting nothing in the end. Even the most simple of changes seem to take them a long time, for instance, the Storage update, we finally got recently, after it was announced how long ago? I think it was more than a year since the announcement, but something that should have been so fast and easy took them that long. Who would willingly and knowingly walk back into that kind of service after they left it?

I admit, I would quit FFXI if it were not for the fact I have a lot of friends I would hate to leave behind and I like the game for the most part, but when FFXIV comes around, I will not be on here any more, because its just not worth it. We have been let down by the ones running the game, I think Matsui did a good job at trying to clean some things up and made mistakes in other places. In either case, no amount of effort has been enough to fix my issues, instead things are getting worse, so I will most likely be taking my leave unless soon something vastly changes.

This month we are supposed to have a large update, 10 days left for them to get that done, still little info besides Skirmish, gear levels, and RUN/GEO AF/Merits, for a large update, that's nothing to me, Skirmish of which being the only thing I truly care about. FFXIV comes out on PC in August, that gives them roughly 2 months from right now to fix FFXI to a state of keeping its players, I personally do not think they can or will do it, why? Because, with the release of a game coming, they will probably take even more resources making sure everything goes well and fine in the first few weeks or months, giving this game even less man power, our biggest problem, and the cause of many things we have yet to see so far as were told.
    (5)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    It's not necessarily what FFXI fans may be wanting to play though.
    This. I at one point was getting sick of seeing "this game will fail because it didn't copy <insert aspect/system/design> from FFXI" during the second phase of beta. Don't treat XIV as a replacement for XI, but rather as its own game. I'll admit I border on breaking that rule since XIV to me is SE's second chance at getting RDM right instead of f*cking it up royally like they did here, but still.
    (1)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Character
    Vilhem
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I see many FFXI players giving up on FF14 when they get tired of that WoW combat system. FFXI combat system is slower but much more relaxing and strategic. Well see you guys back here after 1-2 months like it happened at 1.0.
    lol bitter much?

Maybe you aren't, but you come off that way. Let's not forget one of the reasons 1.0 did poorly was BECAUSE it wasn't a "WoW clone". Tanaka tried to do his own thing and it largely blew up in his face.

There is nothing wrong with streamlining a game. It's the MMO standard today. If they made another XI, it'd be dead on arrival, that's for sure. The market is with this generation MMO, not 10 years ago.

I urge you to participate in the game before suggesting that combat in XIV is not strategic. XI's combat system being "relaxing" is an opinion at best; I find it frustratingly slow and punishing, especially trying to solo things. No I don't want mobs to die fast and easy, but a little more goes a long way.

That said, even with 1.0's failure, I didn't come back to XI until March of this year, when we were inbetween Beta phases for ARR. I didn't flock back after two months. I let this one go. As much as I love this game (played for 9yrs), I do not have the time to drop as I once did. Even doing things like gathering a group for VW can take around 2hrs just to fill an alliance. XIV, I can log in, whack some mobs or do some quests, get a proper reward of exp and gil, and log out if I so please.
    (6)

You'll see us back to celebrate the end of service for FFXI

I sure wont miss waiting 2 hours to get 18 people together for 1 battle or 40 minutes of farming.
    (5)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    Maybe you aren't, but you come off that way. Let's not forget one of the reasons 1.0 did poorly was BECAUSE it wasn't a "WoW clone". Tanaka tried to do his own thing and it largely blew up in his face.
    The problem isn't that it was trying to be different from WoW, the main problem with 1.0 was that it was designed obtusely. Sometimes I think a lot of the big XIV supporters forget how mind-numbingly horrible 1.0 was. Stuff like not-copypasted terrain, more than ~10 quests every 70 hours and being able to vendor my inventory in less than 3 whole minutes arn't about "streamlining your game for filthy casuals", it's about designing your game with a shred of common sense.

XIV looks incredible, graphically, but there is little to distinguish it now gameplay-wise from just about every single other MMO that copied WoW, including many free ones. The FF name is going to help it sell, of course, but I don't think he's necessarily wrong that the game isn't going to attract a ton of MMO fans because a lot of them are tired of the WoW model (which is why so many people flock to EVE online since that's the only sandbox anymore).
    (3)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I was very firm on my view of FFXIV 1.0 I thought it was complete and utter crap, and the only reason it had a single soul left playing it was because those players were people desperate for the game to succeed. Period.

I got a beta invite and while the game is still in beta and 2 months from release, I'll just say that I have already per-ordered the collectors edition. It won't make me quit FFXI, ever, though SE can, but it's definitely going to get to share my free time. It's shaping up to be that good. Maybe that's because I never played WoW. Whatever. But it's shaping up to be that good to ME, and that's really all that matters. I'm ready for a next gen FF MMO, but I ain't ready to leave everything I've done in nearly 9 years in FFXI. I just hope I have enough time to support both.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    Its called cross class abilities. In a place of a subjob. As you level up your classes they gain a certain amount of abilities/spells that may be shared with other classes/jobs. Most of the strong or class defining abilities can't be used on another class or job. Only certain things are tagged for cross class use.

In FFXIV there are classes and jobs. For example Gladiator at level 30 can do a quest to unlock Paladin. There is an equipment slot where you equip a job stone to change from class to job.

At level 50 classes can equip 10 different cross class skills/spells from any of the classes. A job at level 50 can equip 5 cross class abilities and is limited to 2 preselected classes. Paladin can only use stuff from conjurer(whm), and marauder(war) for example. But as a job they get 5 unique skills/spells, access to job specific gear, AF, relic weapon ect. Overall jobs are stronger then classes by a large amount are more geared for party play, but using a class can make you more versatile and possibly easier to solo stuff.
    This is how it worked in 1.0 and let me tell you, I was disappointed with the idea that advanced jobs were limited to what classes they could choose from. Paladin, as in Zumi's example, could only equip from CNJ and MRD, which meant it lost access to good abilities like Second Wind which was basically a really good Chakra on a 45s CD. Instant cast heal good for 33-50% of your health... huge loss.

I think I spent more time on GLA (the base class) than on PLD for that flaw alone.

They said, specifically, their only goal was to be different from FFXI. 1.0 failed because their only gameplan was to be different. They'd've probably been a marvelous success if they had taken what was best about XI and gone from there.

Every game company has this delusion that they'll get wow's fabled ELEVENTY ZILLION PLAYERS, and they won't. It will never happen again.

If MMOs are a drug, WoW came on the scene when your only other options were battery acid and gasoline. They provided a smooth, fun, experience when everybody else was trying to favor the hardcore-obsessed.
    (0)
    Last edited by OmnysValefor; 06-21-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Character
    Uberlee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    This is how it worked in 1.0 and let me tell you, I was disappointed with the idea that advanced jobs were limited to what classes they could choose from. Paladin, as in Zumi's example, could only equip from CNJ and MRD, which meant it lost access to good abilities like Second Wind which was basically a really good Chakra on a 45s CD. Instant cast heal good for 33-50% of your health... huge loss.

I think I spent more time on GLA (the base class) than on PLD for that flaw alone.
    You forgot to mention that with loosing Second wind, you also gained access to paladin only skills, weapons and armor, an ability that would heal others when you recieved healing, your own heal that you could cast on your self, or it would heal you for half the hps healed if you used on someone else, hallowed ground, nullifies most damage (wouldn't block astral flow type moves), cover, and the best emnity generating weaponskill in the game. Your Af armor returned mp whenever you blocked with your shield, your relic shield had refresh, and your relic sword proc'd mp back, so it was very difficult to run out of mp, meaning not having second wind wasn't that big of deal, and they said jobs were more party based, classes were more for solo, so if you were tanking in a group, you would have had a healer there anyway.
    (2)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    XIV looks incredible, graphically, but there is little to distinguish it now gameplay-wise from just about every single other MMO that copied WoW, including many free ones. The FF name is going to help it sell, of course, but I don't think he's necessarily wrong that the game isn't going to attract a ton of MMO fans because a lot of them are tired of the WoW model (which is why so many people flock to EVE online since that's the only sandbox anymore).
    There are a good chunk of people who want to jump ship from WoW but can't because contenders are either rushed into release (under the old "they'll put up with the game until we can get all the features in post-release" developer fallacy), fail to live up to the hype, have a crapton of other issues aside from missing systems (TOR), or are simply built on weak IPs. It's not as black and white as you seem to think it is.
    (1)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast