World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    Is this combination any good?
    Yes .
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Yes, it's good. WHM/SCH is better though.
    (6)

Character
    Lilmercer
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Can explain to me why /SCH is better?
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Multiple reasons.

10% -MP Cost is a big one when you can get Curaga's for free on occasion thanks to EMP set.
    (0)

Character
    Marcusarilltes
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Red Mage is such a well-rounded main job that it adds very little as a subjob, even for other mage classes. Its primary advantages are the Fast Cast ability, quickening spell casting spell time, and its high intelligence, making it a possible alternative to White Mage for the Black Mage's sub. Despite increased damage, however, the Black Mage/Red Mage will never gain access to Raise, Poisona, Curaga, Divine Seal, and other abilities which make Black Mage/White Mage the most popular choice

heres a couple links to some more viable subjob choices :

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Red_Mage_Support_Job
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Bl...ge_Support_Job
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Scholar_Support_Job
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Wh...ge_Support_Job
    (1)
    [ffxivsig]1824865[/ffxivsig] zam sig code
    BB code

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.playonline.com/ff11/11th/banner.js?size=l&l=us"></script>

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    WHM/SCH is better, but WHM/RDM is very competitive depending on the situation due to a slightly increased spell list. Both are the best subs for White Mages standing in the back.

There are many reasons, but basically, /SCH is better because Light Arts makes everything better, and Sublimation replaces Refresh in situations where you don't get a Refresh II. With Light Arts you get cheaper spells, a better recast, your enhancing magic is better (C+ -> B+, basically your bar/boost spells get a massive buff, and you don't even have to cap your Enhancing to get the benefit of capped Enhancing), and you can pop a stratagem if things go bad. If it wasn't for Convert, /RDM wouldn't even be in the same tier as /SCH, but it is still the inferior sub (/RDM is a good sub but just simply doesn't match up, /RDM is also a good to great sub for many other mage classes too though).

Subs like WHM/BLM aren't in the same tier, and should only really be used if you have a niche reason, like Stun. Warp doesn't count unless 90% of what you are doing is traveling, and if that's the reason people ask you to /BLM, consider blacklisting them.

For those that like to think outside the box, WHM/NIN and WHM/DNC are full of win.
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Warp is a valid reason to sub BLM if the content is laughable. Pretty much everything inside Abyssea would qualify. Then again, Abyssea offers by far the best death warping infrastructure, so it's also the least needed in there.

Also if you're just dual boxing a WHM around for some old content, /THF may be an option. Of course it won't enhance your healing capabilities in any way, like /BLM it's also a utility sub if you're farming certain things and don't have a main THF to join you (since TH2 is a very powerful TH tier).

Another convenient thing about /SCH that isn't inside the healing realm, but which I found good use for in the past, is AoE Sneak and Invisible. That, however, is also only relevant in old content (doing missions/quests, sky, WotG stuff) and won't matter much in current content, but it's another nice bonus. The 10% reduced MP cost was already mentioned (which also enhances the overall effect of the WHM AF3 legs), but it also has 10% reduced casting and recast time, which makes it similar to the Fast Cast bonus you get from /RDM. Not to mention certain stratagems make the general life of a WHM easier. Everyone knows how annoying it is to cast Raise in the middle of a fight because it takes so much time and MP. Not so bad with /SCH though, because of their access to Celerity and Penury. It has many nice little features that make playing WHM more fun to me. Quicker raises/reraises, quicker teleports/recalls, even access to Aspir, and generally raises the versatility of the job.

The only thing /RDM has over /SCH is Convert, Refresh, slighter faster casting time (but longer recast time) and arguably Gravity and Phalanx, although you'll rarely (if ever) use either. However, that alone still makes it pretty good in the healing realm, but overall /SCH will get a bigger boost, especially if you have another RDM in the party casting Refresh on you, which leaves Convert as the only thing /RDM offers you.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Warp is a valid reason to sub BLM if the content is laughable. Pretty much everything inside Abyssea would qualify. Then again, Abyssea offers by far the best death warping infrastructure, so it's also the least needed in there.

Also if you're just dual boxing a WHM around for some old content, /THF may be an option. Of course it won't enhance your healing capabilities in any way, like /BLM it's also a utility sub if you're farming certain things and don't have a main THF to join you (since TH2 is a very powerful TH tier).

Another convenient thing about /SCH that isn't inside the healing realm, but which I found good use for in the past, is AoE Sneak and Invisible. That, however, is also only relevant in old content (doing missions/quests, sky, WotG stuff) and won't matter much in current content, but it's another nice bonus. The 10% reduced MP cost was already mentioned (which also enhances the overall effect of the WHM AF3 legs), but it also has 10% reduced casting and recast time, which makes it similar to the Fast Cast bonus you get from /RDM. Not to mention certain stratagems make the general life of a WHM easier. Everyone knows how annoying it is to cast Raise in the middle of a fight because it takes so much time and MP. Not so bad with /SCH though, because of their access to Celerity and Penury. It has many nice little features that make playing WHM more fun to me. Quicker raises/reraises, quicker teleports/recalls, even access to Aspir, and generally raises the versatility of the job.

The only thing /RDM has over /SCH is Convert, Refresh, slighter faster casting time (but longer recast time) and arguably Gravity and Phalanx, although you'll rarely (if ever) use either. However, that alone still makes it pretty good in the healing realm, but overall /SCH will get a bigger boost, especially if you have another RDM in the party casting Refresh on you, which leaves Convert as the only thing /RDM offers you.
    Phalanx would be/is rubbish for a WHM anyway, since it can not put it on Party Members.

Sublimation is better than Refresh I, in that not only does it give back the same/more MP but it takes the same time, and blocks sleep when charging. So really it is the Convert and Slightly faster casting time as the one thing it really gives.

Penury is kind of crap too, unfortunately. Maybe good for WHM, not sure, but last I checked it never stacked with Fast Cast which gives it a big negative.
    (0)

Character
    Komori
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    A little off topic but /RDM does get access to Raise. SCH is the better subjob but for me it's always been a little confusing with all the different job abilities and because no one I know is really doing VW yet because of how sucky the outcome is. I normally stick to /RDM in Abyssea. With 20 MP per tick refresh I rarely run out of MP and when I do have an oh shit moment, just convert and burn through another 2k of MP if needed (rarely is). /RDM is simpler for me, I would say?

/RDM seems like the best sub for a BLM to me though, with bonus MAB IIRC, Fast Cast, Convert, more Refresh, Haste and Cure IV that WHM once kept now we get with /RDM @99 so I stick with /RDM but I don't know the full benefits of SCH either.
    (1)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast