Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Noctrin Noire
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Whenever i want to feel like i'm playing an actual summoner, i just call my chocobo. I just ignore the sad truth that it's a more meaningful summon that what my summoner has.

There are SO many much better ways this could be done. The summon we learn could summon our class pet, while the previous 2 should still call the carbuncles. Our summonner pet can be like the chocobo and have a bunch of skills, stats and maybe gear we can add. You have to beat primals to unlock and upgrade certain skills. Maybe for incentive to use the other ones, having it out reserved 30% of your mp and reduces your damage by 20%. Limit break should be a powerful, real summon for x amount of time which we can control and has 3 skill uses which range from damage, support CC etc

So many better ways than just a re-skin of the same thing we had as arcanists with a negligible dmg boost and a limit break that makes sense if we were a black mage. I mean, the system is there for chocobos, how hard could it have been to give us something good.
    (2)
    Last edited by Noctrin; 09-30-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Player
    Character
    N'kilah Razhi
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I don't think morphing into different primals really fits the Summoner class.

Personally, I want my carbuncles back. The little guy has character. Egi summons are just differently shaped rocks.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Arcanis Bladewing
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    name this class evoker or whatever and ask them to make your version of your 'summoner' just don't be touching this one, I love this gameplay.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Astra Finalis
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 25
    1. Remove the pet.. There are classes/jobs in the ff universe that constitute having a pet ala beastmaster.. A summoner is not one of those classes/jobs.

2. Make the summoner actually feel like a summoner or do what the dude above me stated :: change the job name and its aesthetics.. In its current state, it can be many things but a summoner it is not. Imo its just a half-baked warlock.

Square had the biggest opportunity to create a class/job that was not only innovate but unique. It would have been an actual ultra-high risk, ultra-high reward dps/support. Give the job actual summons that rape your mana but have looooooooooooooong ass cds and cast timers. As a ranged dps you would have to actually worry about positioning ahead of time so you can actually get your summon off. The class itself would be a change of pace for a ranged caster since you don't constantly press buttons, but instead wait for that one orgasmic moment to be able summon a fabulous hellfire towards your unfortunate enemies. If a limit break is a meteor, i don't see why in the hell this couldn't be done.

I don't expect the class to change or get reworked anytime soon though.. especially since japanese game designers nowadays have a bad habit of being backwards thinking traditionalists.
    (0)
    Last edited by ilikeorangejuice; 09-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Player
    Character
    Shila Lail
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    I agree about the summoner. On one side I'm glad that they didn't pull a FFXI on us let us be main healer again who occasionaly let us pull our pets. But still this class doesn't feel like a summoner at all. And I second the notion about giving us back carbuncle or at least let us still summon the little guy. I rather have him run after me instead of those sad excuse for summons. (Sorry at the people who designed them I don't mean to be an ass about it but compared to FFXI their look is just disappointing)

As for gameplay I wish the emphasise would have been more on the pets instead of being a dot machine.
    (1)
    Last edited by Miiu; 09-30-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aeriscloud Scherwiz
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicdeath View Post
    You do realize that there are alot of discussions going on about how alot of people are disappointed with how summoners function right?
    Why?

You do realize they messed up the game once already right?
    What?

You do realize that they did a whole revamp because it sucked so bad right?
    See Above.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kainx Ryder
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    They could have done what they did for summoner in FFXI. I'm glad they didn't because summoner in FFXI was terrible. Back in the days of the 75 cap, you were pretty much forced to main heal from level 10 to level 75. For those who did suffer through that got to play as a mediocre damage dealer. The avatars Odin and Alexander didn't help much either since then you were brought along for only Perfect Defense.

Summoner in FFXIV is probably the most I've had as a pet class. The only complaints I have is the pet controls and balance between the 3 Egi. If you're unhappy playing as the class, then stop playing it.
    My sentiments exactly!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Echo Lunaeris
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    I can refer you to more threads about unhappy summoners that you can about happy summoners.
    Because people are widely known for posting when they're satisfied...

I like the summoner class as-is.

It's not a traditional summoner, no. I see that as a good thing.

The job would feel too much like a black mage with a pet if we had regular nukes, i.e. a "Rydia type" Summoner.
    Even Scholar is distinct from a white mage with a pet since the pet is pure support/healer. It is not a "Yuna type" Summoner.

As it currently stands we're the most versatile job in the game. No other job can "fake it" and perform the other two roles in the game in an emergency. That fact won't beat end game content, but it's pretty cool and can't be ignored when seeing the whole picture. If that isn't enough, we rank near or at the top of the damage dealing classes for DPS.

It's not perfect, and I have my share of complaints about it (UI problems with dot effects, Egis are a little boring and we don't interact with them enough, Titan not useful in serious content), but as a whole it's my favorite job presently. I have never seen a suggestion for improvement that makes me go "You know, that would fix things."
    (0)
    Last edited by Echo; 09-30-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    I can refer you to more threads about unhappy summoners that you can about happy summoners.
    And within those threads are numerous people disagreeing with the unhappy ones.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rhaine Faithslight
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    All i learned from this thread was i hate people who use the word "Alot"
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast