Player
    Character
    Cecilia Amor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50

Summoner tips?

When running AK I find I usually top the hate list against trash with a simple rotation:

Shadow Flare > Bio II > Miasma > Bio > Bane > Fester > Thunder > Ruin until Fester is back up

I don't know if that's optimal but it seems to work well enough

However my problem comes in boss fights. Once I get past the initial opening my DPS really seems to suffer. I'm not sure how to keep up continuous damage. I feel like I waste too much time reapplying dots too early, not sure when to use Shadow Flare or not, whether Miasma II is worth using, when to use Thunder etc. I also tend to get flustered and caught up in dodging boss mechanics and I quickly fall to 8 on the hate list

So any tips would be totally awesome
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    DoTs first then shadow flare for AoE.

Here is a general starting rotation:
    Bio II+Obey(so the pet starts attacking while you're casting) -> Miasma -> Bio -> Fester during GCD(make sure to delay it a little more until the Bio debuff is present) -> Shadow Flare -> Thunder -> Ruin -> Ruin II -> Raging Strikes+Fester during GCD -> Bio -> Thunder -> Miasma -> Bio II -> Miasma II -> Fester+Rouse During GCD-> Bio -> Contagion+Spur during GCD-> Ruin -> Ruin II -> Enkindle during GCD -> Shadow Flare

After that you have to let the DoTs wear off completely because you can't overwrite a RS+DoT with a normal DoT, so then just proceed to keep DoTs up(I try my best to clip between 1-0 on timer). Use Ruin II when you want to use Rouse/Spur(should be on CD, but don't use until after that initial rotation. No time.). The way to maximize DPS is to maximize DoT uptime, and Fester usage.

Always start with Bio II -> Miasma -> Bio.

Miasma II is ONLY useful for single target when you use Contagion, and it's not always viable due to mana costs. Shadow Flare doesn't get any benefit from RS so there's no reason to refresh the timer during RS.

This is a general, safe, starting rotation. If you want to push timers, you can use the Ruin/Ruin II at the end of RS after the Bio, but before Thunder -> Miasma. There's ways to min/max it further, but this is the safest way for everything to fall in timers and keep a good rotation going.
    (2)
    Last edited by Kevee; 09-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kaane Moka
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    I try with Thunder-Miasma-Bio-Bio Ii-Fester/Bane-Contagion. If a lot of mobs gather in one place, Tri-disaster - Shadow Flare. Even if after this rotation, you get aggro, at least they are bind thanks to Tri-disaster, so back off and let the tank get aggro back.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Umbral Sage
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 42
    The above mentioned rotation from lion king is quite wrong. Always start with your dots that have the longest time first. Why your starting with thunder is beyond me.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaane Moka
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    I am using Macro by the way, so things could be different at your end. And purely because I want to maximize the duration of Bio, Bio II and Miasma for Bane. After I have finish my initial rotation, and probably one Rune if I am fast enough, Thunder DoTs is just about to run out, like 3s left, enough for me to repeat my rotation to keep 100% uptime DoT. Why you want to start with Dots that have the longest time but not the shortest time? What is your rotation?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Antarius Dominus
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 49
    Because then you'd spend more time refreshing your dots, and less time using a filler like ruin to increase your dps. Or, if movement is required on the fight, the more dots that you have rolling at once, the higher your damage will be, even if you are unable to cast while avoiding AOE attacks on a fight like Titan or Ifrit.

Hypothetical scenario, you can only cast 1 spell, and then you have to spend an equal amount of time moving.

If you do your rotation, you will not be able to cast Bio 2 or Fester until 30 seconds into the fight, because Thunder will have already faded before you even got to Bio 2, and then you'd have to reapply Bio 1, because it'd be fading at the same time... So at this point, 44 seconds have elapsed before you cast your "first" fester...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ryuko Kanzeon
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    My rotation for a single target mob is:

Bio II > Miasma > Thunder > Bio > Fester > filler (usually Ruin except for the occasional Ruin II for blind) > refresh DoTs as needed, repeat.

The reason I use Thunder before Bio is because I figure if I'm going to have to wait on the GCD anyway, I'd rather the Thunder+Bio be 'closer' together in time left. (Since Thunder takes time to cast and Bio is instant, if you cast Bio first, Thunder will be a few seconds behind.) Please note, Thunder deals damage and also adds a DoT effect. Bio is simply a DoT, so the effects are comparable even if you are waiting for Thunder to cast.

If you are in a rush to cast Fester right away, you can always follow the typical "Bio II > Miasma > Bio" pattern others have listed, but keep in mind that if you use Fester on cooldown without using any other charges, you will still need to wait for Aetherflow to come back up before being able to Fester again... So doing it my way is never 'wasted' DPS. This is just personal preference, so it's really up to you... I thought I'd give you insight into why I do it this way, though.

For the pet... Unless you want to save your Enkindle for a strategic time, I generally pop all pet cooldowns (Rouse+Spur, followed by Enkindle) at the start of a boss fight to get the recast timers rolling right away for maximum DPS. If you are fighting a boss like Titan, you'll want to save this combination of abilities for the Heart... but you CAN pop Rouse periodically since the cooldown is so short... and you should. Feel it out.

For adds, I will get my DoTs up and Bane them to other targets before throwing Shadow Flare down. The reason I do this is because I want to give the tank time to position the mobs before throwing down a ground AoE. Also, I don't think Shadow Flare DPS is as important as the ticks of all the other DoTs going off first. If your tank is well-equipped and skilled, they will be able to handle this. If not, go easy on the DPS and throw down Shadowflare to buy you some time before spreading all DoTs.

You can also run up and Miasma II the mobs after Shadow Flare if you so choose, pulling out the maximum amount of DoTs you can. It costs a decent amount of mana, but mana really isn't an issue while killing trash. If there are a LOT of mobs, Tri-Disaster is sensible, but only if there are a LOT... otherwise single-target nuke until you need to refresh/spread DoTs again. When refreshing DoTs, always refresh and spread the DoTs from a target with high HP. If you choose a target with low HP, you might not get to spread before the target dies... wasted time

Kevee's comment above reminded me of this...

Note: whether you are casting Bane or Fester, you must wait a split second after your last DoT is up (usually Bio) before using the ability... because if you do it TOO soon, that DoT won't count in your DoT spread or you won't be able to get the max DPS from Fester. It's silly and frustrating but you'll get used to it.
    (3)
    Last edited by Ryuko; 09-28-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kaane Moka
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    /ac "Thunder" <t>
    /wait 2.5
    /ac "Miasma" <t>
    /wait 2.5
    /ac "Bio" <t>
    /wait 2.5
    /ac "Bio II" <t>

That is my macro rotation. I activate my Aetherflow between waiting time of Miasma and Bio. Bio is there for a purpose, to give me time to activate any Instant Skill not be affected by GCD such as Aetherflow. Then after my Bio II done, I use Bane/Fester. The whole thing is done in 15 sec. This rotation only be used when it is safe to not move. And I have different macro for the fight that requires moving.
    (0)
    Last edited by LionKing; 09-28-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Player
    Character
    Alizebeth Bequin
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Why have people not learned yet that any macro with /wait is a dps loss?

/wait will round up your 2.5 into 3. Furthermore, I doubt that you have exactly 2.5 GCD, it will be closer to 2.43 or so depending on gear with skill speed.

Also why would you need a macro like that when you don't refresh your dots at the same time?

Also, you should bio before thunder to make advantage of fester/bane 1 GCD ahead, which lets you fit in a second fester before RS ends if you are doing your RS dot rotation.

Also shadowflare is a dps and utility increase single target, as it does more dps than ruin by a long shot as long as the target stand still for at least 12-15 seconds. It also has a chance to slow the boss, which is always a good thing.

I'm not sure why thunder would be top of your rotation, as it is not spreadable with bane nor does it let you fester earlier.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ruin Darkstride
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LionKing View Post
    That is my macro rotation. I activate my Aetherflow between waiting time of Miasma and Bio. Bio is there for a purpose, to give me time to activate any Instant Skill not be affected by GCD such as Aetherflow. Then after my Bio II done, I use Bane/Fester. The whole thing is done in 15 sec.
    I'm not understanding why you start with low cooldown DoTs..... You start with Bio II because it has a cast time and lasts the longest. You then follow up with Miasma because it has the 2nd longest duration. Third is Bio because it is instant and lasts the shortest amount of time. With this rotation, you get 2 Festers in without the need to refresh any DoTs. If you start with a short duration DoT you need to refresh it faster to keep all of them running for Fester.

You should be using Aetherflow before fights even start. And every time you use your last charge or when it is up. There's really no need to wait to fit it into a rotation.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast