Thread: Summoner tips?

Player
    Character
    Kaane Moka
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    I used the macro rotation and I think it does not round up to 3s. As soon as I finish casting thunder which is 2.5s casting time, it follows immediately with Miasma, no delay between two skills. I don't know how it is for you but that is how I see it. And I do refresh them all at the same time, the order of skill has been made after I tested different skill's order and by far, that give me 100% uptime on DoTs with no DoTs run-out before it is refreshed.

Make sense Darkstrike, however the downside of it is you can not keep 100% uptime on Bio and Miasma because by the time you come back, the duration has run out like 2-3s before they are re-caster. I don't know which will give more Dps, though. I will give it a try with your rotation.

I don't want to activate Aetherflow in advance because you are full MP at the start? I use it as a mana restore, and Energy drain to keep my mana in check. Why would I want to activate it when my Mp is full and it does not boost my dams at all?
    (0)
    Last edited by LionKing; 09-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Player
    Character
    Simon Gidian
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    good job lionking people think your serious 7/10 troll
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaane Moka
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    Wait what? I am seriously want to know more.Who are you to judge me as troll? Sure my rotation is different. Since when having different opinion and reason is marked as troll? Please don't start a context war.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Spythe West
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 44
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuko View Post
    My rotation for a single target mob is:

Bio II > Miasma > Thunder > Bio > Fester > filler (usually Ruin except for the occasional Ruin II for blind) > refresh DoTs as needed, repeat.
    This person knows what he/she is talking about, that is my exact same rotation. Just switched from my MNK(wasted myths getting him +1) to my SMN and loving the class a lot more. It kinda sad that people thought SMN had bad DPS just a few weeks ago. With a Gurada wep v my MNK +1 and darklight I'm pretty sure they pull about the same DPS. Fester is just plan amazing, Bane/Shadow Fury, Misama gives SMN insane AOE dmg, DOTs/Pet DMG give them great single target DPS and knowing while you move you're still doing dmg AND you still have Ruin II to toss out. Great class and well designed by SE

A good rule of thumb is never cast Bio by itself, it should always followed by a casted spell unless its trash or adds but even then a Thunder to a Bio works really nicely since Thunder does some initial dmg. Has anyone found a reason to ever use Ifit over Garada? She seems to be the best with a little pet control and has a godly 4th ability.
    (0)
    Last edited by Spythe; 09-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ryala Elensar
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 29
    Quote Originally Posted by LionKing View Post
    I don't want to activate Aetherflow in advance because you are full MP at the start? I use it as a mana restore, and Energy drain to keep my mana in check. Why would I want to activate it when my Mp is full and it does not boost my dams at all?
    You want to use Aetherflow before the fight because it lets you start with 3 stacks and the cd on it already running or already done so you can get more Festers in within the first minute than you would get if you didn't start with the stacks already up.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Spythe View Post

A good rule of thumb is never cast Bio by itself, it should always followed by a casted spell
    There's no reason to ever think/do this.

Always start Bio II -> Miasma -> Bio.

Always.

Period.

There is no reason to delay Bio, and subsequently Fester/Bane and the next Aetherflow.

What do you think you're gaining by doing Thunder->Bio and not Bio->Thunder? You're still applying 1 DoT/GCD and they're the same total potency, but doing Bio first allows you to use other abilities sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by LionKing View Post
    You activate Aetherflow in advance so you have 3 stacks at the beginning of the fight.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kevee; 09-29-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Neko Musume
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    As a Bard that decided to roll summoner as an off-class for our coil group that's up to turn 5, I've been gearing it up, Going from what Kevee has been saying for a Rotation I can already see how what he/she says is optimal for GCD min-maxing, Did Ifrit with Full Demagogue with HQ level 49 Jewelry and a Grand Company level 50 Summoning book, against a Semi-Darklight summoner with a Normal relic, I set him to focus target to see how he would play, he opens with Thunder before bio wasting GCD's and being inconsistent with his Rotations by refreshing too early, I managed to out DPS him by a full 100k, and even replaying the fight back to watch EVERY cast he did in order, All in all I find it a serious DPS loss to waste GCD opportunities.

TLDR, Ask yourself, if someone is claiming their Rotation is superior, give it a try instead of being stubborn

Edit: I've played Summoner at level 50 for less then 5hours practicing Kevee's Rotation as he/she is a well known Summoner.
    (0)
    Last edited by NekoTheCat; 09-29-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoTheCat View Post
    Going from what Kevee has been saying for a Rotation I can already see how what he/she says is optimal for GCD min-maxing,
    And like I said in the post, that's the general safe way to get all your timers working.

If you want to min/max further you can move around the ruin/ruin II during RS if you know you have time to cast everything, you can use one of the pet CDs earlier(during the first Bio), etc. That's something I need to work on doing, but generally in a fight like Titan or Turn 2 of Coil, I'm fine with executing the general rotation. That's my current issue is that I have put that general starting rotation into my "muscle memory," even though I know in some circumstances I can move the abilities around to get 1-2 extra DoT ticks.

I accept there are improvements to be made. In some instances, it's also better to Swiftcast Shadowflare as it shaves ~.5s off total time. There's little things you can do to improve.

Edit: And something to note if you're pushing timers. Bio/Bio II have animation lag. Roughly .5-1s after the cast/finished cast. Miasma is near-instant after the cast, and Thunder has travel time, but is near-instant to the projectile hitting. There is a delay between when a debuff completely drops off, and when you can re-apply it. It seems to be a ~.5s window of sorts. If miasma is dropping off(say, from RS), you want to start casting in between the 1-2s timer of DoT left on the mob. Bio II you can start casting end of ~2s on timer. Remember, when it says 2 is left on the timer, that is anywhere from 2.99~s to 2s left.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kevee; 09-29-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Player
    Character
    Spythe West
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 44
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevee View Post
    There's no reason to ever think/do this.

Always start Bio II -> Miasma -> Bio.

Always.

Period.

There is no reason to delay Bio, and subsequently Fester/Bane and the next Aetherflow.
    Because doing Thunder to a Bio makes the timer line up perfectly instead of having Bio ending before Thunder. You can do Bio after Miasma then a Thunder to a Fester but at that point its only a 2-3s difference in getting the fester off quicker. I just like the Thunder being linked to Bio which may be a personally preference but it just makes the job play smoother imo. Whenever I have to recast Bio Thunder always comes first, it just easier for me to keep track of dots that way, the other way I found I was forgetting to cast Thunder sometimes which is a must. You can get off to Fester before you have to reply apply Miasma/Bio again, I also manually control my Garuda so pushing the dots 15s is never an issue.
    (1)
    Last edited by Spythe; 09-29-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Player
    Character
    Zelia Sarrasin
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Spythe View Post
    snip
    Well if it's a personal issue/preference, that's fine.

You even acknowledge the time difference.

Have my LIKE.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast