SE is paranoid about RMT, they said as much when the reason they gave for V1 not having a mailbox system at all was their terror that RMT would use it.

However, I wonder how that paranoia fed into their decision to make it impossible to mail from one character to another on the same account, due to the limit that you can only mail to 'friends'.

The 'friends' rule is clearly anti-RMT and treats players as collateral damage in SE's war against them.

The huge irony though is that RMT are running rampant nearly unchecked. Mine bots litter every zone and last for days. In spite of SE's attempts to demonstrate their intent to eliminate them, they numbers of banned accounts are pitiful in view of the massive RMT presence; a presence that the change over to a sub. service seems to only have fueled.

Meanwhile, the paying customers live with chat channels made useless, an RMT reporting system that is so convoluted and needs so much faffing about cut/pasting spammed chatlogs that I suspect most don't do it, and have to see the AH monopolised by RMT (and other) botters for goods such as Fleece and other limited-drop critical mats.

Yeah, SE brought over so much anti-RMT expertise from FFXI .. the STFU seems not to have bothered getting involved with XIV sadly.