Player
    Character
    Crabby Cakes
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60

Couple of tanking questions!

Hey all! So I have a few basic questions regarding tanking in FF14.

- does race matter in terms of stats? I know I see a lot of use all vitality for stat allocation but would it matter if I played a Lalafell PLD with dreams of endgame/coil tanking?

- does all endgame gear have the same look? Like does the 45/50 artifact gear look like darklight gear but with more stats?

- more of an opinion based question. Is tanking annoying for PLD in terms of AoE tanking? Like can I focus one mob and not have to worry about the others running to the healer? Or is it a tab target hit ability type deal?

I've payed MMOs for about 12 years now but my most taking experience was paladin tanking in WoW for about a year. Right now I have my BLM to 49 and I'm sick of long cast times so I'm hoping PLD will be more flashy and quicker and fun compared to BLM.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Annika Mill
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Race doesn't matter at all. The starter stats differences are so small it's hardly a factor.

Not @ endgame myself but I'm pretty sure gear looks vary from dungeon/raid to dungeon/raid.

AoE tanking is fine as PLD as long as your DPS are not a bunch of monkeys each mauling at a different mob. AoE damage skills in general have a terrible cost/damage ratio and unless you're hitting at least 3 mobs at once they're generally not worth it, in the majority of cases your party is better off focusing on a single mob and taking them down one by one. So as long as you mark and everyone follows Flash is easily enough to keep hate on the monsters that are not being focused to prevent them from chasing the healer. It's nowhere near as effective as WoW's Prot Pally Consecration spam mind you, which pretty much made the mobs stay glued to the tank no matter what.
    (0)
    Last edited by Soylent; 09-20-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Player
    Character
    Crabby Cakes
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60
    Awesome thank you I am much more excited now to start levelng up my new gladiator! I do love the crown paladins get at level 45
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nidge Al'thor
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I tend to find at higher dungeons there is a slight need to tab around and stick a few of the higher skill Chain enmity moves around extra mobs but overall if your used to that kind if thing it isn't to difficult. Same as poster above tho I'm only at 30 so I'm unsure what its like higher just going to guess and say it will be the same.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enitzu Zen'yr
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabsy View Post
    - does race matter in terms of stats? I know I see a lot of use all vitality for stat allocation but would it matter if I played a Lalafell PLD with dreams of endgame/coil tanking?

- does all endgame gear have the same look? Like does the 45/50 artifact gear look like darklight gear but with more stats?

- more of an opinion based question. Is tanking annoying for PLD in terms of AoE tanking? Like can I focus one mob and not have to worry about the others running to the healer? Or is it a tab target hit ability type deal?
    Race means nothing really. Lalafell have a little less vit but at most you're talking about a 5 stat difference.

End game gear is different. AF/AF+1 look the same, Darklight is different, Allagan is different

It is more of a tab based tanking system. Flash will hold hate over healers pre 50 but @50 you will need to be tab targeting to effectively hold hate over aoe heals and aoe damage
    (0)