Player
    Character
    Renabi Rena
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90

Brayflox's Longstop Short Rant and Aiatar guide

I have never been more excited after completing a dungeon in an MMO for a long time. Brayflox's Longstop is a beautiful example of a dungeon that is both challenging and intriguing to the player at the same time. While most groups will assuredly wipe several times through the course of the dungeon, and some might not finish at all, it is perhaps the first time you will ever be challenged to the core in the game.

As for my experience, my first try I ran for about 5 min with a group until we all decided that the tank obviously didn't know how to tank. Unfortunately, while this might fly in earlier dungeons like Sastasha and Copperbell Mines, most tanks shouldn't be able to get past Hatali without knowing how to maintain their threat. The other dps left almost immediately when the tank responded "I'm the tank?" and I shortly followed in order to avoid the 15min penalty.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Renabi Rena
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    The second try was a lot better, each role was doing their jobs splendidly and we all decided to do a full run together. Since it was my first time through I didn't know that there were actually optional events within the dungeon where you had to save goblins in return for some Pink quality treasure. It gives the illusion of springing into action to save a fellow comrade and definitely puts your head in the instance.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Renabi Rena
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Upon reaching Aiatar, the final boss of the dungeon, I had realized that no one in my party had actually been this far in the dungeon before. Considering my experience with dragons in other MMOs I expected there to be at least a breath attack, so I advised the tank to turn the behemoth of a boss away from the group. At around 60% hp the boss suddenly turned as if on a swivel and heaved a massive acid patch at my location, landing smack dab in the center near the entrance of the room. I thought nothing of it, until the dragon targeted the Dragoon in my party 30 seconds later and popped up with the convenient little message that the acid patches were healing the boss.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Renabi Rena
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Unfortunately, on the PS3 I cannot fight and type at the same time, and hoped that the other members would notice it. Suffice to say, they did, but we were too disorganized and before we knew it, there was no place to position the boss where he wasn't being healed. After wiping, I suggested that by standing next to the walls, we could cut the area of his acid patches in half, and allow a much larger amount of breathing room with which to position the boss. While the tank understood this, it took a bit of trial and error for him to effectively reposition the boss after each acid patch (Aiatar is literally massive and it's hard to see if he's out of the acid when you're up against the wall).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Renabi Rena
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    In the end, we won by the skin of our teeth, by abusing Mage's Ballad, a Dragoon's Level 2 Limit Break, and one of the best healers I've seen in the game. While difficult, the boss is very satisfying upon completion, and makes you value your job classes that much more. I can only look forward to future dungeons and what kind of strategies I will have to develop in order to solve them.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kaalia Deathrender
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Yeah I wish people would pay attention to their class quests and actually read the dialogue, they teach you your role (ex: how to tank.) And by the point of Longstop dungeon we should all know our roles lol. Regardless of the bad tank though I'm glad you enjoyed Brayflox's and managed to work successfully with a new group, it is indeed fun and challenging. Wait until you reach Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry however..you should really enjoy those ^^
    (0)
    Last edited by megaman; 09-19-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Player
    Character
    Delenia Forcentis
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    I've been running Brayflox non-stop in an attempt to get me a new mail and shield. I'm still using a white geared shield, and the Lv20 green mail from Halatali, and this is just something I decided to do to gear up for the next dungeon (The Sunken Temple of Qarn), rather than attempt to wing a Lv35 dungeon with Lv20 gear.

Brayflox actually feels more like a tank check than anything. The tank has to be smart enough to position himself around Aiatar.
    1. Don't stand directly in front of any party member, since Aiatar's line poison AoE Dragon Breath has a pretty huge reach. I always try to face a direction where the breath does not reach any of my teammates. As the tank, I always get my team to reposition themselves around Aiatar's sides, since for the most parts, I just end up making him to the opposite direction after each breath, so the sides are the safest.
    2. Stand near his left front leg. When he readies his Dragon Breath, you can just move forward a bit to avoid it, and continue attacking him. This is how you turn him around exactly 180 degrees too, which makes his sides the safest blind spots.
    3. When he shoots the poison pool at any melee character, the tank has to reposition himself to bring Aiatar out of the pool. One way to know if he is completely out of any pool is to look at his buffs/debuffs - he'll have a Regeneration buff if he's still on top of a pool. Or if you are fast enough, you can stun him before it comes out.

It's also a soft gear check in that, if you don't have the DPS to down him, your healer will eventually run out of mana healing the tank, and when that happens, not even the sturdiest of tanks will survive. At least, this is more noticeable in Brayflox compared to previous dungeons.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vanidin Pickles
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 67
    You can edit a post to circumvent the character limit.
    (0)

Character
    Reisz Rie
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman View Post
    Yeah I wish people would pay attention to their class quests and actually read the dialogue, they teach you your role (ex: how to tank.) And by the point of Longstop dungeon we should all know our roles lol. Regardless of the bad tank though I'm glad you enjoyed Brayflox's and managed to work successfully with a new group, it is indeed fun and challenging. Wait until you reach Sunken Temple of Qarn and Cutter's Cry however..you should really enjoy those ^^
    The tank is not necessarily bad, being new to the dungeon often means not being aware of the optimal positioning of the boss in anticipation of its skills and abilities.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kaalia Deathrender
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Dragoon View Post
    ..we all decided that the tank obviously didn't know how to tank. Unfortunately..without knowing how to maintain their threat... the tank responded "I'm the tank?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiszRie View Post
    The tank is not necessarily bad, being new to the dungeon often means not being aware of the optimal positioning of the boss in anticipation of its skills and abilities.
    I agree with you ReiszRie; if a tank doesn't know the dungeon that doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad tank. However, the OP said that the tank couldn't maintain aggro and thus the first run was bound to be unsuccessful. The person they were partied with didn't even know they were the tank to me, that's bad lol.
    (0)
    Last edited by megaman; 09-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast