Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Sentinel Guardian
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

8M to 24M to 8M bouncing will ruin tanking in this game!!!

Unlike some other MMOs out there, this game requires raiders to switch between 8M and 24M when progressing through different tiers of raiding.

This means that when 24M raiding hits in the next patch, all FCs will be looking to fire 4 of their tanks in favor of more DPS, and then fire 4 DPS in favor of 4 more tanks when they go back to 8M raiding.

This is not going to work out well. A lot of tanks will get turned off by this and quit tanking altogether, if you think DF que times are bad now, wait till this happens.

The only way tanks will be able to retain this spot in raiding would be if they level and gear another DPS class for when its time to enter 24M raids. So now the job that requires the most pressure in a group to execute properly, also requires the person to level a second class and keep its gear up to date. This also means, you end up getting less practice as a tank in raids.

Continued....
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sentinel Guardian
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Solution: Add cleave damage to all 24M bosses that is spreadable. In other words, a 24M boss will do 900 points of damage if only one person is standing in its cleave, or 450 if there are 2 or 300 if there are 3, anymore than 3, the damage stops dividing, so if there are 5 people in its cleave, all 5 take 300 damage. This will require FCs to take 3 tanks for bosses, atleast 1-2 tanks for adds/backup, it will give tanks more variety to choose from, and overall the raid will rely less on one tank, which will take pressure off the tanking job, encourage more people to tank.

If things remain as they are:
    We are going to see a decline in tanking. We are going to see drama in FCs where tanks get benched because their DPS job is not geared enough for 24M and overall tanks are going to get frustrated.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alphard Alshua
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    FC Raiding =/= Duty Finder Raiding
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Yavi Mahyisti
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    My understanding is that the meta will stay the same in 24 man. 3 groups of 8, meaning 6 tanks required for 24 man, 6 healers and 12 dps.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Crim Soukyuu
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I don't see where the problem is. If you got 24 people set up, that's 3x8 full parties. Meaning, when the whole 24 man are not needed, they can... do a 8 man raid in parallel?
    (7)

[ AMD Phenom II X4 970BE@4GHz | 12GB DDR3-RAM@CL7 | nVidia GeForce 260GTX OC | Crucial m4 SSD ]

Player
    Character
    Lolo Landerlu
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    you must have a time machine because none of this can be proven true until the 2.1 content is released.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Kytheren Kenni
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Non-issue. Level a DPS and Healer to compliment your main role. Be flexible. This isn't WoW.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Sentinel Guardian
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac View Post
    Non-issue. Level a DPS and Healer to compliment your main role. Be flexible. This isn't WoW.

You just made an oxymoron comment. Leveling a DPS or healer to compliment the main role makes it similar to WoW, my point is, this game takes the issue that exists in wow to the next level, tanks in WoW can also OS DPS or heals, its not unique to this game, but the design in this game makes the situation worse, read my original post carefully.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Dark Mod
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    I got to say if you don't have at least 2 contrasting jobs by the time 2.1 comes out and you consider yourself a heavy raider, you're not playing correctly. Now, I'm not saying both job's need to be full DL / relic, but really, you should level a few jobs so your utility increases to best suite the needs of your FC as a whole.

Seems like basic stuff to me.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Shayla Asiaine
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Unlike some other MMOs out there, this game requires raiders to switch between 8M and 24M when progressing through different tiers of raiding.
    I THINK I see what he is trying to say: As we play the game, there will be times when the 'latest content' will be focused on Dungeons/etc. that require 24 man parties... then a new patch and the 'latest content' will focus on Dungeons/etc. that require 8 man parties.

So when next patch comes out, all the big end-game FCs will only be doing the new dungeon (which I think is 24-man), and therefore will want people with the right jobs for that content.

What I do not see is why a FC would 'fire' anyone just because the latest content is 24-man or 8-man. Also, given that a FC can have so many people in it, why would an excess of tanks be an issue for a few months? Also, will the FCs ONLY be doing the new content with no regard for any of the earlier content that requires those tanks?

I guess its up to the individual FCs, but if the FC will basically have a 're-org' ever patch, then I worry about the loyalty to that FC. Either way, this world of ours is designed around the fact that we can pick up a lot of different skills/abilities in different disciplines (i.e., we can be a Tank, and a DPS, and a Healer, as we wish). Given the cross-cutting skills and ease of leveling, I think it is reasonable to expect a Tank to also be able to double as a DPS.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast