Great Strides
    Steady Hand
    Standard Touch -> 100% chance, 250% eff +HQ
    Great Strides
    Great Strides
    Steady Hand + Basic Synthesis or Careful Synthesis
    This is the rotation I find gives me the best results for HQ. Cannot stress enough lining up Great strides+ standard touch with good or excellent condition.
    (0)
    Rafe Macleod - Freelancer

Player
    Character
    Souma Kisa
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Thanks so much for all the help, guys and gals.

Is Tricks of the Trade an absolute must, or would Rumination be sufficient?
    (0)
    i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz -- GTX 780 Ti SLI

3102 Survivor

Player
    Character
    Y'zamza Sazhi
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50
    I use Tricks of the Trade with longer or difficult recipes, when I have to use Manipulation I run out of CP very quickly.

Sometimes when I have few CP I use Tricks of the Trade + Steady Hand + Hasty Touch + Hasty Touch + Hasty Touch.....

If you use Tricks of the Trade, you lose Good condition, and Good Condition + Great Strides + Standard Touch is a very good step
    (0)
    Last edited by rkpost; 09-18-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Player
    Character
    Jojoroku Kikiroku
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Tricks of the Trade is mostly for building up Inner Quiet with Hasty Touch allowing greater durability control. Pretty situational otherwise.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jonno Ivuin
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    Curious why everyone is choosing to use standard touch instead of basic touch or advanced touch?

If you multiply the efficiency of the skill by the success rate you get the "expected output" of the skill. If you then divide the expected output of the skill by the CP cost you get the "quality efficiency" of the skill. Or the expected quality boost per CP point.

Basic Touch is the most efficient skill by this method.

It seems like standard or advanced touch would be of situational use only when you have a good or excellent orb to craft on to maximize your quality boost.

Player
    Character
    Conradus Leviathan
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    You're not using Great Strides? Great Strides is the best thing since sex. Great Strides + Standard Touch = two Standard Touches, except you spend 10 Durability and not 20.

My build for 40 Durability that I can complete in one Standard Synth is mostly like this, assuming the CPs hold out:

Inner Quiet
    Great Strides
    Steady Hand
    Standard Touch
    (Great Strides + Standard Touch) x 2
    Steady Hand
    Standard Synth

Condition is *crucial*. Good condition substantially improves your touch and Excellent condition will almost certainly put you over the top for an HQ. If you get a Good or Excellent condition, immediately go to the best Touch you can afford. If you get a Poor condition when you're up to do a Touch, do something else unless Great Strides is about to run out. Steady Hand is good; even it's already up you'll reset the countdown. If CPs are critically short, Observe can be the cheapest way to wait out a Poor condition.

Don't forget equipment--and food! More craftmanship means more Progress on Synths. More Control means more Quality on Touches. And who couldn't use more CPs on a synth? At your level, a good CP food can give you close to 20 more CPs. That can be a critical difference right when you need it.
    (2)
    Last edited by Conradus; 09-18-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Player
    Character
    Souma Kisa
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Conradus View Post
    You're not using Great Strides? Great Strides is the best thing since sex. Great Strides + Standard Touch = two Standard Touches, except you spend 10 Durability and not 20.
    Aye, I never thought of it like that. I'll be using it a lot from now on. Actually excited to get off work and craft some more.
    (0)
    i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz -- GTX 780 Ti SLI

3102 Survivor

Player
    Character
    Kael Elenion
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    This is the best thread I've seen on the topic of crafting. Thanks guys! Lots of useful tips in here.

My alchemy is level 30 and i was able to feel my away around successfully crafting items much higher level than me but was never able to get the HQ rotation down.

I took notes! Can't wait to go home and make something! XD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Solaire Belmont
    World
    Ridill
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50

The method that has worked best for me!

I can't say for sure but I know I don't even use basic touch at all. The rotation I use for HQ+ with normal mats is very simple. The only thing is, it does require you to have multiple class leveled to get the skills. After you get 50 in all crafts this gets really easy.

This seems to be long so I'm going to break it up into multiple post.

Here's the skill's I use:

1. Inner Quite (First thing every time, allows you to start the combo with Byregot's Blessing). If your lucky you will get a red crystal right after and you can get your CP back with Tricks of the Trade.

2. Waste not II (Establishing this allows you more chances to build quality). The ticks are longer so I use this before activating Stead Hand II.

3. Steady Hand II (This is a must for Hasty Touch to work reliably).

4. Hasty Touch ( This is what I have replaced all basic touch skills with, it has worked for me in all lv's of crafting from normal to the end game crafts).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Solaire Belmont
    World
    Ridill
    Main Class
    Leatherworker Lv 50
    *.(Special) If Synthesis durability is in the 233 range use Rapid Synthesis right after Steady Hand II to push up progress (I do this first to insure I never fail a Synthesis in the event of unlucky botches)
    5. Careful Synthesis II ( The most OP skill IMO, it's 100% and if you just need to finish it this will get the job done).
    6. Tricks of the Trade ( Worthwhile skill to both get back CP and to change the state of the Synthesis).

7. Byregot's Blessing (The heavy hitter in my combo, it's what makes HQing with normal mats possible for me. Most effect when coupled with Great Strides).

Added skills used randomly but not often enough to be considered a must for this method.
    Advanced Touch, Manipulation, Rumination.
    (1)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast