Player
    Character
    Lavinia Ferris
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80

Dynamic Story

This is an Idea, so I just want to know what would you think about it and if you think it. Could be done or why it could not be done.

Make the story in the game change according to the events in the game.

For example we have a war in our hands maybe they could add some large scale PvE where whether we win or lose could affect the story of the game make changes to the NPC or maybe to the lands itself/this seems not probable but could be nice/

We could have a Single Player Main Story and a Community Story
    I know with the different servers the possibility of branching could be high making this not feasible, but the idea of a world that changes with the events in the game I found rather interesting.

So maybe some areas could be invaded. After certain time we would recuperate the land stuff like that something that makes the game feels like it resolves around what US players do.

Maybe The Beast-Man Tribes goes all out to hunt players then we need to drove them off you know stuff that involves the whole community of the game

So Far what they have been doing, feels awesome cause the changes in the game are inflicting in the story, so if they could add more dynamism to the way we player interact with the world and its lore would be something to see forward
    (0)
    Last edited by Lavinia; 05-01-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Player
    Character
    Edeon Vails
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    I'm still waiting to find out how are they going to start a war without changing the intro story lol
    So we kinda have to wait and see.

But that's a cool idea, obviously. Totally feasible, except how everything integrates to new players.
    (0)

Player

new players doesnt have to start at peace time, they could play at war times and the peace era will be something you only hear from NPC.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Captain Lalafist
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 82
    They have something Campaign-style planned.

I'd like there to be three kinds of stories in this game at the end of the day.

The major stories with their own cutscenes and encounters alá FFXI missions and quests. Every class has their own storyline as well as a major storyline that advances the expansion/vanilla. However, with less restrictions so that we can follow many storylines at once. Then, sidequests are text-only and flesh out the lore in more detail, while the major stories only use lore as the background and context for the events to unfold.

The second kind of story is one that happens more dynamically and is related to the current major events in the game, like what they're doing here and what they did with Besieged and Campaign. If possible have more dynamic environments as well as other sort of changes that can take place (ex. more, harder monsters in areas in enemy control, different weather, bonuses or debuffs depending on the situation). XI did the latter quite well, but did not excel at the former. Hopefully they can change that in the future. This type of story is a never-ending one or shifts in a way that does not affect the events as whole (you'd still be in conflict).

Third type of story is the story you create yourself, by allying with other people, making rivalries, and so on. The content has to encourage this sort of behavior and its quite hard to pull off, but by no means impossible. Companies may be the first step in bringing something like this to the game. Strengthen the community and expand it beyond friends and single linkshells to larger companies and the server as a whole. These stories are all unique and the developers only need to give us the tools.

With all three, considering how well the lore in this game is laid out, if not presented (yet), when everything is fleshed out this game can stand out from the rest easily. There's so many interesting aspects about it that make me want to find out more: Archons, the Empire, Wyrmking's horde, Ishgard, the Primals, Companies, the 7th Umbral era, the corse-monsters seen in few cs's so far, the events 15 (and 1500) years ago, and the list goes on. Make us care about what's happening, like you have done with this event, (and bring the game itself up to par), and the game will end up being, if not universal, at least my personal success.

I mean, even if the lore is not well presented, it tells you a lot when they can make us hyped about a patch with lore alone considering there is so little representation of it in-game. They truly have something special here. I don't want it to go to waste.
    (2)
    Last edited by Betelgeuzah; 05-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Chardrizard View Post
    new players doesnt have to start at peace time, they could play at war times and the peace era will be something you only hear from NPC.
    I agree with this. So it's like the old timers(those that have been around since the start) was apart of those peaceful times. Then once bad times hit it gives rise to new and more adventures to try and do something about all the chaos(ps3 release).
    (0)
    Want to have more freedom on how you look!? Support this thread!:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/39544-To-The-Devs-A-World-of-Individuals

Player
    Character
    Lavinia Ferris
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardrizard View Post
    I like this Idea too They could join the game like @ New Recruits That Want To Make A Name@ or something they could still do the main story and all but on Instances
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Griss Stilgar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Well akumu with whats going on in game right now, i would be willing to wager fake Interweb monies that the "Peace time" we have been enjoying up to this point is about to come to an abrupt end. I Seriously do not think that the days of the biggest problem players facing is the diremite population around broken water will last much longer.

But speaking on the topic of the post. Dynamic content can be fun if done correctly. In contrast if not done correctly it can lead to a bunch of problems, Especially if the progress of the larger story hinges on it across all servers. How ever if we see more stuff in line with whats going on right now i would welcome it. There is a buzz in the active playing community that is great to be a part of right now. Were all waiting for this shoe to drop, People are banding together to compile every scrap of information they can from the new lines of dialogue that are coming from the npc's and the side quests that are relevant. Push come to shove its a very exciting time to be playing the game. were watching the future history unfold before our eyes.
    (1)
    An Aware, Informed, and Critical community is vital for the success of a game.
    ~ John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

Player
    Best you can expect from SE is quests/instances attached to timers (see Behest and Dynamis), Single-player story mode (see main scenario quests), or multiplayer story quests (See rank missions).

Letting players shape the world with their actions isn't exactly SE's forte, so to speak. They prefer to keep the game on a very tight leash. Dynamic quests which give players the ability to change the story of the server is something that just doesn't appeal to the collective mind of SE.
    (0)

Player
    TC you might wanna check out Guild Wars 2, they have something like this in the works.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by gifthorse View Post
    Dynamic quests which give players the ability to change the story of the server is something that just doesn't appeal to the collective mind of SE.
    Or something that has been done at all. Try trolling harder.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast