Player
    Character
    Kiara Silvermoon
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60

Arbitrary Stat Caps on Materia Melding & Freedom to Meld MAIN Stat Please

During Beta, many crafters noted some problems with Materia Melding & how limiting the Statistic Cap was. Having spent some time after launch, I wanted to provide feedback on 2 key points:

• Statistic Caps are Arbitrary & Unintuitive. It's bad enough that we're generally locked out of our "Main Stat" when melding Materia onto Equipment (for DoW/DoM), but what makes it completely frustrating is how *random* and *arbitrary* the Stat Caps are at times. Take for example:
      • Weaver's Trousers HQ (i55): Craftsmanship +3, Control +31.
        These are the best Weaver's pants you can get in the game. Yet, when attempting to meld a Tier IV Craftsmanship Materia (there's only +3 default on the item), you can only get +1(!) Craftsmanship to add. Yet, you can add a FULL Tier IV Control Materia (even though this item has a whopping +31 Control already). And you can only add +1 CP, and there's NO CP on this gear at all. How does this make sense?
    • Please let us actually meld and use the Main Statistic that's important to our Jobs. Yoshi P mentions he wants to make this game for mainstream audiences, and to make this game easier to understand for everyone.

So what is more intuitive than allowing players to actually add the Main Statistic that's actually IMPORTANT for their Jobs?

A new player starts and levels Lancer. They realize STRENGTH is their most important stat. They look for Equipment that adds to STR whenever possible. They buy some gear and try to request a Materia Meld of STR, only to find out, "Sorry, you can't meld STR. The item is 'capped.'"

It makes NO sense that the very stat that is important to your Job *can't* be actually added to via Materia.
    On a side note: Who's *actually* going to use those "Main Statistic" Tier IV Materia besides the actual Jobs that need them? Is a Paladin or Dragoon really going to use an Intelligence Tier IV Materia (because their gear has No Hidden Stat Cap for Intelligence)? No.

And since you locked out Black Mage / Summoner from actually *adding* a full Tier IV Intelligence Materia to their gear (in general), WHO is it for? Same for Tier IV Strength. Is a White Mage going to use a Tier IV Strength Materia on their gear (because it's not capped)? No. It's really for the Jobs that need it, but they can't actually use it.

In closing, I realize the Main Stats are much more potent and powerful than they were in 1.0, and it's very clear Yoshi P wants to limit / control just how much a Stat can be stacked for "Game Balance." But these 2 problems about Materia fly in the face of all you are doing to make the game "less stressful" and "more for the mainstream" (for everyone) to play.

Please consider easing up the Stat Caps / Restrictions. In 1.0, the Materia rules were very clear (e.g., Items Level 41 - 50 could use up to a full Tier III / IV Materia; Items for Level 31 - 40 could use up to a Tier II Materia, etc.). But in here in 2.0, it's all obtuse, random and hidden.

You've already dramatically reduced the Stats on all Materia (Tier IV Strength Materia in 1.0, had up to +20 Strength; now it's just +7). But it feels like it's become TOO controlled, and, worse, *hidden* from Players, so we're just rolling the dice and learning by wasting money buying (or wasting time converting) Materia, only to find out later that we *can't* use most of (or all of) that Materia's Statistics because of some hidden and arbitrary Stat Cap.

Thanks!
    (20)
    Last edited by Kiara; 09-11-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Player
    Character
    Fayt Maelstrom
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    100% agree with this.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Raldo Volca
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 80
    I'd like to be able to know the caps beforehand somehow, but beyond that, the caps themselves don't bother me any. I think it's quite a clever way for them to make I/II/III materia still useful even at 50.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Come'at'me Bro
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Hey Kiara, it's Dex from your old LS on Hyperion. I was wondering about this very thing. Right now I'm ALC 50 and I have a full set of HQ Alchemist's gear and currently my Craftsmanship is 312. I previously experienced an issue where I couldn't get the full benefit out of a vitality materia I melded to my PLD armor. Then I got to doing the math, I would need to add 6 tier IV craftsmanship materia to my gear to even qualify to try to craft the top synth's for ALC as they require 347 Craftsmanship. Why do I not see this happening with the current stat cap. Also, if that is the case, how do I even get to 347 craftsmanship required to craft the WHM staff or similar items? It must be possible because there are some on the AH.
    (1)

"No man is invincible, and therefore no man can fully understand that which would make him invincible"
    — Miyamoto Musashi

Player
    Character
    Sakasa Kuro
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 58
    Well I have to disagree on many of the points. The first being the stat allocation is arbitrary. Because of the simplified equations that game uses lower numbers and less flooring to simplify it for us and them. For instance now ~4 str gives about +1 avg dmg since content is tested having the ability to break the limits of lesser gear would make rebalancing a requirement. Which is also why your main stat on the armor can normally not be increased greatly as that ability would break the balance of the game. So for instance meld able tank gear rarely has str on it, and tanks need str for dps so it works out and dps gear has all prime dps stats so accuracy and deter is the majority of what you can put on which gives you a higher base line but again doesnt allow you to tip over a threshold. Now crafting i agree as there are so few stats we know affects it.
    (2)
    Mitsuda Yasunori + Soken Masayoshi Track Collaboration 2015! <The Dream>

Player
    Character
    Nenin Poponsand
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by DexteraDomini View Post
    347 craftsmanship post
    I've got 2/3rds of my goldsmithing gear stat capped and without food I have 355 craftsmanship, 352 control, and 335 cp. You don't need stats that high to craft something that requires 347 though, you can get up to +40 craftsmanship from food.

Also, you don't have to add all rank IV materia. All meldable items can hold up to 5 materia despite the number of slots they have. You just have to be smart with the order that you meld them in. Start with the most expensive ones and work your way down.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Freyjana Zul
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    OP hits the nail on the head.

When I was doing the quest where you need to meld 8 materia to get further along in learning materia abilities, I went to plug in a +1 str material into some random level ~30ish strength ring that was going to give me zero bonus.

I mean really? The low level materia is fairly useless to begin with, but you're telling me I can't even socket it into anything I would be using for at least the first 60% of my leveling process? Yikes. I see how this would be an even bigger issue at max level as well.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Agreed, I was glad about the changes they made to the materia system from 1.0, but when i saw the stat caps it makes it almost pointless again.

It's totally counter-intuitive.

The problem you have is that you have allowed forbidden melding still and have to keep this in check with stat caps, why did you not go the same route as WoW where the cap is determined by the materia sockets ?

Forbidden melding is pointless when there is nothing to take advantage of.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Abyss Ace
    World
    Aegis
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    ARR item/craft system all messed up. as i said in my post:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...urf-it-so-much

obviously they didn't consider all the situation well, or they just focus on those exchange lvl90 blue eqs.
    all the craft/materia systems are jokes right now.
    i dont even bother to get class sets for the DOL/DOH in ARR. just keep on the dungeon work, you will get much better sets than the top craftable HQ with materia on it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    ^ Agreed crafters should be able to make similar gear to Allagan, it should just take a lot of time and effort and 4 times melds.

They have made crafting pretty worthless tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Skies View Post
    Whereas crafters can't make gear that matches up to the Allagan gear, they can make items that match up to Darklight and primal weapons which are IL70 gear. That is because they can make Darksteel gear (I refer to as Darksteel but I also mean the Gryphonskin leathers and other two-star synths) which is all IL70 itself.

Every item of the same slot with the same IL will have the exact same attribute caps. So my Obelisk can have as much STR and Critical Rate as my Melancholy Mogfork, but it can't be strictly superior to it since it's the same IL, hence why stat caps. (that is presuming the mogfork has capped STR and Crit)

What is better, melded gear can be fine-tuned and useless stats (such as earth/wind resist in Titan/Garuda gear) can be replaced with important stats (such as crit+ and determination).

Whether intuitive or not, the stat caps make absolute sense, and i'm happy they are in the game, this give the devs absolute control over the power level of the gear they implement
    ^ Where is the point in making the Ilvl 70 gear when you could be spending those tomes on darklight, which may I add is better even taking into account materia.

Also you don't know the stat caps until you try to meld a piece of armour/weapon which can end up with a wasted purchase on the MW when buying materia.

The whole system is convoluted and asinine.
    (3)
    Last edited by Jinko; 09-12-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast