Player
    Character
    Jinko Jinko
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux_Rayna View Post
    You guys are getting off-topic. What you can craft is not the point, its the stat caps for melds.

Personally, i find them quite intuitive most times. In the OP's first example, that gear has a greater affinity for control materia than craftsmanship. This is obvious because it has a high control stat and a very low craftsmanship stat. A rather small leap in logic will tell you that the item in question has a low craftsmanship cap and a high control cap. There's a reason craftsmanship is only +3, and its probably not for giggles. Makes perfect sense to me.
    Sadly it doesn't always work that way, as some items with low stats still have silly caps.

For example crafting accesories.

A lvl 15 ring which only has CP, not allowing me to put a full piece of control or craftsmanship on it, yet low and behold I can put 2 CP materia on it.

I don't see why you need stat cap on socketed gear anyway, enforce it on forbidden melding only and there is no issue.
    (1)
    Last edited by Jinko; 09-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Player
    Character
    Kara Zorel
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    If they are going to have a cap they should just out right say what it is when you try to meld. At least that way you can plan accordingly. After all, if you know the pants can take +4 control, +3 craft and +1 CP (examples only), you might as well just do 1 +1 CP, 1 +3 craft, and 2 +2 control, and save the money on the higher up materia.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gerulf Cloudwrath
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux_Rayna View Post
    Personally, i find them quite intuitive most times. In the OP's first example, that gear has a greater affinity for control materia than craftsmanship. This is obvious because it has a high control stat and a very low craftsmanship stat. A rather small leap in logic will tell you that the item in question has a low craftsmanship cap and a high control cap. There's a reason craftsmanship is only +3, and its probably not for giggles. Makes perfect sense to me.
    I find your description to be the oppostive of intuitive. If you can boost an item's highest stat even higher, I don't even see a point in having caps at all.

Knowing that materia caps exist, the intuitive presumption is that different categories of stats have one cap for the entire category. For example, if I have VIT 5 on my helmet, and I can't add additional VIT through materia, it's logical to assume that 5 is the cap for all primary attributes on the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinko View Post
    Sadly it doesn't always work that way, as some items with low stats still have silly caps.

For example crafting accesories.

A lvl 15 ring which only has CP, not allowing me to put a full piece of control or craftsmanship on it, yet low and behold I can put 2 CP materia on it.
    I think you've described exactly what she was saying, in which case, it does work that way.
    (1)
    Last edited by Tirocupidus; 09-13-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Player
    Character
    Sefiria Satara
    World
    Twintania
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    Jesus Christ, I didn't realize Materia was now this bad... So, out of five slots, what exactly are we even meant to put on Crafting (and presumably Gathering) gear? The Classes only use three stats, and apparently two tI Materias will cap two those stats... I imagine you can probably cap Control with t2 Materia as well... Again, Jesus Christ... This is just... There are honestly no words...

I honestly think they should just remove slots... What is the actual point in them? When I first saw the new system, I figured it was something like "I'll put t4 in the slots, and cap off the stats with lower tiers on forbidden melds". I was annoyed that this effectively meant any significant Gil cost from melding was gone, but it was still neat. It especially annoyed me with the Relic quest... Basically made that whole portion of the quest a complete cake walk, and I didn't even get a Relic in 1.x before someone thinks I'm butt hurt over that. Jobs generally not needing multiple stats also pretty much ruins any potential here, too. Some Jobs do, but then they go ahead and say "Bard needs MP for songs now, lets take that Piety off their AF armor!". At least the Jobs that do make use of multiple stats might get something out of Materia, assuming something like Critical Hit Rate doesn't cap out at a ridiculously low level on Vanya...
    (1)
    Last edited by Sotek; 09-13-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3