Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 139
  1. #11
    Player
    Jynxii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Jynxii Au
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Latency isn't supposed to be an additional level of difficulty
    And yet it is. I'm happy that in just about every other MMO you've had European servers, and have had the luxury of low latency, however if you game from Australia, you're always looking at 200-300ms. Does it suck? God yes. Has ANY company put in a system to counter this? No. You learn to deal with it, and it is possible to deal with. I've yet to encounter truly random mechanics that can't be attributed to a pattern or specific timings, thus making them predictable.

    I'm not arguing that the difficulty of Titan's last phase isn't made harder, but the patterns exist. I reiterate; latency can be blamed to a certain degree, however it can be overcome with good positioning, skill and adaptability.

    When low latency players fail Titan, it is because they're actually bad? Does having high latency and failing make you inherently better or more skilled than players with low latency that fail?
    (3)
    If my posts seem short or incoherent, I am probably editing the rest in.

  2. #12
    Player
    Dazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    21
    Character
    Dazor Ares
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    It's just annoying when people rag on you for getting hit by an aoe that is next to impossible to avoid because of lag. EU screwed again tbh.
    (19)

  3. #13
    Player
    Jynxii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Jynxii Au
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Oh btw, just noticed you live in Australia but you play on a JP server, much closer to you.
    Nice try in trying to make your point.
    And yet some Australian ISPs actually get worse latency to JP servers than they do NA servers. You do realise latency isn't based solely on geographical locations right? Especially when it crosses oceans. You also imply that I have never played any other MMO which hasn't had JP servers. Hot tip: Most MMOs (that reach the western market) get European and NA servers only.

    Nice try attempting to discredit me in order to support your points though.

    Edit: Also like to highlight that players with significantly lower latency than what even the best AU connections achieve to JP servers complain about latency being the big factor for why they fail things. I'd love to play with 100ms (in any MMO), but a life of ~260ms is what most Australians get in most MMOs.

    This is a great example of why bad/average players never get better; they blame everything completely on lag, ignore any of their short comings, and don't attempt to come up with ways to work around what they can't change.
    (4)
    Last edited by Jynxii; 09-07-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    If my posts seem short or incoherent, I am probably editing the rest in.

  4. #14
    Player
    Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    56
    Character
    Azrael Lucifer
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THAUMATURGE Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynxii View Post
    When low latency players fail Titan, it is because they're actually bad? Does having high latency and failing make you inherently better or more skilled than players with low latency that fail?
    I'll turn your question to you in another way. Who is better: player that can beat the content with 20 ms, or players that can beat the same content with 200ms?
    After you answer that, also answer: Why?
    (2)

  5. #15
    Player
    Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    56
    Character
    Azrael Lucifer
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THAUMATURGE Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynxii View Post
    And yet some Australian ISPs actually get worse latency to JP servers than they do NA servers.
    Right, I'm pretty sure you choose JP server just because you like playing with them, with a huge language barrier, prefering them to an english speaking server, right?
    Surely not because of latency, right?
    Ok.
    (2)

  6. #16
    Player
    Jynxii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Jynxii Au
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Question. Why?
    I don't think it is a simple matter of "higher latency players are better because they have to beat latency and the boss!". I think there are other challenges that higher latency players have to deal with, but the encounters themselves still require certain positioning, skill and reaction times, even on low latency.

    The way I see it, you develop an extra 'skill/ability' to be able to factor in the latency to the mechanics, and maybe you 'have' to pay a little more attention to the patterns/timing since you have less time to react, but whether or not that makes you a better player I can't say. For me personally, it is just something I do now, because it has always been this way. Would this make me a better player if I moved to lower latency? Maybe. Players with higher familiarity or awareness of boss mechanics and positioning always seem to do more successfully than those who lack such things, assuming all things are equal of course.
    (3)
    If my posts seem short or incoherent, I am probably editing the rest in.

  7. #17
    Player
    Eunys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Character
    Eunys Fiel
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    CONJURER Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Right, I'm pretty sure you choose JP server just because you like playing with them, with a huge language barrier, prefering them to an english speaking server, right?
    Surely not because of latency, right?
    Ok.
    Ok now you are just a troll. You do know they have some of the worse Internet in the world right? Nobody makes servers for them either because of their politics getting in the way. Do you also know distance isn't the largest factor in latency? Many EU countries are closer to the Datacenter in Canada then people in parts of NA them-self. Please stop pushing blame for your being bad on SE or others and make yourself a better player.
    (5)

  8. #18
    Player
    Cyriac_Darakus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Character
    Cyriac Darakus
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Right, I'm pretty sure you choose JP server just because you like playing with them, with a huge language barrier, prefering them to an english speaking server, right?
    Surely not because of latency, right?
    Ok.
    Please read what was said. what Jynxii is saying is that some Australian ISP's get worse latency on JP servers the reason for this is where the ISP will route to first (Some go to NA first). That being said I believe this game is very punishing to higher latency players. Most MMO's I've played I have never had many issues avoiding Generic Ground Based Attack A yet this game seems to be a bit different. I can't tell if the other games cater for the latency with longer cast times and FFXIV ARR does not or if their is something in the design of the content. This may be better answer by someone who is used to playing on a low MS ping time.

    Edit: LOL @ The multiple replies to the one post within minutes of each other.
    (0)

  9. #19
    Player
    Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    56
    Character
    Azrael Lucifer
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THAUMATURGE Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynxii View Post
    The way I see it, you develop an extra 'skill/ability' to be able to factor in the latency to the mechanics, and maybe you 'have' to pay a little more attention to the patterns/timing since you have less time to react, but whether or not that makes you a better player I can't say. For me personally, it is just something I do now, because it has always been this way. Would this make me a better player if I moved to lower latency? Maybe. Players with higher familiarity or awareness of boss mechanics and positioning always seem to do more successfully than those who lack such things, assuming all things are equal of course.
    Exactly, so it also work the other way around, it's harder for people with higher latency.

    Plus you got the same problem as me/us with latency, not having a server in your region, I really don't see why you are against this topic.
    (2)

  10. #20
    Player
    Jynxii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Jynxii Au
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    ARCANIST Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    ...
    For the record, Tonberry has a HUGE Oceanic player base, and even I'm surprised by how many English speaking players are on the server. Latency was definitely a defining factor, but as I mentioned, some Australian ISPs get the good end of the stick (~160ms) and others get the bad end (~270ms). Incidentally those who get better latency on the JP servers get worse on the NA servers, while those with worse latency on the JP servers get better on the NA servers. I personally get ~210-230ms, which I am happy with and can play with just fine.

    Again I never said latency didn't make it harder, just that it can be overcome if you consciously decide to try and do so. Unless you have the resources to host/maintain a data centre in Europe, currently, the latency isn't going to go anywhere.
    (1)
    If my posts seem short or incoherent, I am probably editing the rest in.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast