Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Zavier Mhigo
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    I live on the West Coast, Nevada to be precise, I notice even with 89-98ms means that when I run out of an aoe, even far out of it, I still get hit. So I can see how having even 100ms does cause a significant enough amount of lag. Its not like you just blantantly look like you got hit by it on others screens either, playing I've often been so far out of the attack, and others have seen, but its still "bam I was hit", this happened a lot with Ifrit, his stupid floor pulls are so easy to dodge, they made it easier than 1.0, but for some reason I still get hit due to some weird lag no one can see. I've noticed if I know the approximate range of the AOE to plop myself somewhere close to the exit, but I'm a mage, this must be frustrating to melee. SE thought Montreal was a good choice....it is...for EAST COASTERS. Not for West Coast, not for EU. Just east coast and canada reaping benefits, maybe midwest too. I get it we're only 18% of US population so one cares, I'll stfu.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Shaenrael Calgarawyn
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I don't think it has to do with latency entirely. I think it has to do with the netcode and how FFXIV updates your position.

This is speculation, but FFXIV is one of those games which is easy to develop a teleport hack for, because the way the game updates your position. You can see this if you're in a group with someone and following them on a Chocobo. The other person in your party will jerk around, accelerating and decelerating. Or if you are in a party and someone else is moving around in a smooth circle. To you it will appear very jagged and jerky movements and pauses. This happens regardless of your ping.

Ping issues probably make it worse, for sure, but I have a feeling the bigger issue is the netcode which could be improved.

I've heard some people have luck with instant cast spells, i.e. as soon as they are out of the AOE cast an instant spell like Renew, and that seems to improve the likelihood of avoiding the AOE.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Hecate Arcana
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Hachiko has it there. The server doesn't update our position often enough. This is why when you think you are well out of the AoE you aren't. The best way to get the server to update your position is to make it perform line of sight and distance checks. As soon as you know you are out of the AoE start using an ability. Every ability use the game checks your position relative to your target to confirm you can use the ability at that time. People in our raid increased their Weight of the Land dodge rate significantly after we shared this.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Eluna May
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
    I don't think it has to do with latency entirely. I think it has to do with the netcode and how FFXIV updates your position.
    Spot on, not only is it highly frustrating in dungeons, but the constant rubber banding of everyone around me is so frustrating and makes the game look cheap.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gotu Dacg
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50

So frustrating...

I always played Hard end game content in WoW and TERA, and never had a problem with my latency. Like people stated before even when I'm meters away from the aoe it hits me. I don't know whats the problem with this game but I'm sure the problem isn't my latency. I have no idea how they can fix it but they better do something about it , or they will lose a lot of players.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ruprect Castiect
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeshield99 View Post
    impossible to win to whoever has ping more than 100. Titan cast aoe spell 2 sec and you lag 1 sec behind. 1 sec is not enough for u to run out of big aoe... SE should make an ingame ping check so I won't waste my time while I lag.
    It is not one second mister over reaction, it is 433ms at 100ms latency to the server. That is almost .5 sec. But I agree this needs to be fixed ASAP, it is game breaking for those with bad latency.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rain Uchiha
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 60
    It needs to be fix screw people who doesn't have to suffer from the server bad response... I want a solution, I hate to die on the same spot as others who doesn't... Why shall I hit aoe when I'm away from it since a while? Can't make Titan but by pattern and luck. Not to speak of demon wall's aoe.... As white mage it's grinding my teeth. Tired of those saying "screw you I like the challenge the way it is"... ya sure... easy to say when you don't have an issue which isn't coming from you...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rui Oran
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 76
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    where NA people ping 20 ms.
    Haha, seriously? Is this what Europeans think?

I'm sitting at a 160ms connection from where I live in North America (Phoenix, AZ) to Montreal. I have friends who are in Europe who have better reaction times than I do. The fight is very possible even with a high ping, which is only a delay of .016 seconds, noticeable, but not game-breaking. It's a matter of you learning Titan's patterns and perfect execution.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Silver Darkmoon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    So I open this thread and what do I see on the first page? People blaming the OP for getting hit by the AoE.

This is an outstanding accepted bug: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...s-everybody%29

The developers say this is a bug, so blaming the players getting hit is saying the developers are wrong.

The problem was first acknowledged in 2011 on these forums here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...t-be-addressed

This is a real problem and the last post we had from Yoshi said this:

Area Attacks and Latency Issues

Producer and director Yoshi-P here.
    Thank you for all of your feedback on latency issues and the evasion of enemy attacks. As we continue working to address these issues in time for phase 4 and release, I'd like to inform you all of the current situation.This post will focus on area attacks that are difficult to evade, or still connect even if you appear to have avoided it.

Damage taken when Ifrit uses Eruption.

When Ifrit used eruption in phase 3, the animation had a momentary build-up before the explosion. Because of this momentary buildup, there was a slight delay between the server's check and the explosion. This has already been corrected for phase 4 and release.

Damage taken for what looked like a near miss.

1. Registering Player Damage

In phase 3, when judging whether a character was standing in an attack's area of impact, your position was checked using a circle around your character to represent the space your character stands in.

Furthermore, to keep the different races balanced, the radius of this circle was the same for all characters. Because of this, even if you appeared to have barely escaped the area of effect, a portion of the circle was still within range. This created the illusion that you barely evaded attack, with varying results depending on your race.
    For phase 4 and release, this circle has been reduced to a single point at the center of where your character is standing to more accurately determine your position.

2. Enemy Progress Bars and Area of Impact

Being an online game, there will always be a minimal delay when input is received from the player and sent back after being processed by the server.
    In FFXIV: ARR, your position is checked by the server once every 0.3 seconds. This timing is synced and processed according to the servers to prevent lag between your input and what you see.

During phase 3, however, this syncing did not take place due to stringent server checks that took place, causing lag between what you saw on the enemy progress bar and your character's positioning. As a result, even if you appeared to be outside the area of impact when the progress bar was filled, damage was still taken.

Adjustments are being made to reduce lag as much as possible, and syncing should improve the timing between enemy cast bars, area of effect markers, and the actual attacks.

Rest assured that we're doing what we can to make sure players can safely evade attacks by watching enemy cast bars and markers for area attacks.

Players overseas were also affected by having to access the Japan data center in Version 1.0, as this further delayed the relay of data from the server. With the establishment of a regional data center and the above measures being taken to improve syncing with the servers, we will continue working to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience for all of our players.
    (Even with a great connection, I think there's still maybe a 0.1 second margin of error with the cast bar, so make sure to get out of the way when playing with your party. )
    (2)
    Last edited by Silverwalk; 09-18-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: fixed link

Player
    Character
    Danorille Pandemonium
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 61
    something tells me SE is still using FFXI's netcode, it's workable in that game because of the slowpace gameplay and less emphasis on avoiding AoEs but it just doesn't fly in this game :/
    (0)

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast