Player
    Character
    Mocha Momocha
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by cainejw View Post
    And what, dear slow one, do you suppose will happen when you are crafting all these weapons for those "plowing the game" and they can't afford it because all the wealth has accumulated with the crafters and gatherers? Well, then you have to wait to sell anything because the people who "plow" will have to level crafts. Meanwhile, those who made money early will simply level their clearly-not-plowing characters and exchange money with each other.

The people who chose to level "plow" classes will remain poor until the higher tiers while the people like you (who CLEARLY chose to play the right way because you're so great and always right) will continue to sit on large amounts of money. This ends in a picture we like to call stagnation.

"Idjit."
    Fun fact: Those people "plowing the game" are the least lucrative market for us as they get all their gear normally via questing and dungeons. Our markets are generally like minded people - gear and tools for those leveling crafting and gathering professions, raw materials, materia, and items used in various quests. Thus, if the aforementioned demographic is broke....it doesn't really matter to us.

At least that's been my experience, YMMV. I've made most of my market board gil from weaving clothes used by other DOL/DOH classes.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Huginn Aesir
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by danteafk View Post
    I want to play the endgame and have fun, thus earning money while I do this so I can self-sustain.

I do not want to Craft. I do not want to gather some silly materials or go fishing - thats not my thing.
    How am I supposed to survive, economically?
    I want to play video games and have fun, i want someone to pay me to play video games all day so i can self-sustain.

I do not want to get a job, i do not want to work, that's not my thing.

Just thought id throw that in there for real life comparison. you don't get to be CEO of a multinational conglomerate by not working or having qualifications.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Gadran Rorholm
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 30
    An economy based on having to craft to generate income will fail, as was noted above via stagnation. There needs to be multiple ways to make money (without great disparity). This is a basic principle when it comes to MMOs.. and beyond, really.

Now if FFXIV is going to be a crafting based economy (which I don't think it is because the strongest gear is not crafted) then you would not have dailies or other such things to provide you with gil. You would get gil by either crafting or providing materials for those crafters. This is not a very consistent system though so the money sinks in game would have to be greatly reduced, otherwise you have issues now where DoW/Ms do not have the necessary funds to do anything on a regular basis. You shouldn't need to craft to make enough gil to buy the things you need, but it should take longer to buy the things you need than a crafter (as they are devoted to profit) but not impossibly or tediously so. It all comes down to balance. If you just want to focus on your chosen Class/Job and play the game without alternating your play, there needs to be ways for you to hunt things or do missions to get the materials crafters would need. DoHs gathering for crafters is pretty self explanatory.

TL/DR: FFXIV is not designed to be a crafter centric economy. If it were, it would still not be viable for everyone (the majority, even) to be crafters. Changes need to be made to either make FFXIV crafter centric, or go the normal MMO route. (Think WoW).
    (1)
    Last edited by Akashi; 09-19-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Player
    Character
    Haurchefant's Ghost
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 32
    Quote Originally Posted by Huginn View Post
    I want to play video games and have fun, i want someone to pay me to play video games all day so i can self-sustain.

I do not want to get a job, i do not want to work, that's not my thing.

Just thought id throw that in there for real life comparison. you don't get to be CEO of a multinational conglomerate by not working or having qualifications.
    You seem to forget that if everybody took part in gathering/crafting they would not be a viable source of gil.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kehda'li Khamazom
    World
    Ifrit
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 36
    I haven't done a lot of mining a crafting using goldsmith yet but what I have used and I have made 60k in a day. So if u can do craft and gather skills u should be able to make plenty for what you need.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Acial Daago
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 36
    So many economic majors in this thread...
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Syn Kazama
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I want to play the endgame and have fun, thus earning money while I do this so I can self-sustain.

I do not want to Craft. I do not want to gather some silly materials or go fishing - thats not my thing. It is boring imo. I do not want to level another job to 50 just for the sake to gather Gil, which will be nontheless harder since there are barely any quests left and Id need to Fate-Grind.
    Short answer, you're screwed. FFXIV is designed to be an online community and what you're saying is you want to be like a sports player that doesn't have to do commercials, interviews, fan show events other random endorsements or anything outside of play the game. Sorry, this does not happen.

Why can`t you just sell items from Dungeons? In every other game you can sell/trade items from raids/dungeons in order to sustain.
    Care to list one? I haven't played anything since XI that you could actually sell some drops. Even then, I had to farm to make money. Aion had a workaround hack where people sold "Loot Rights" for gear but that wasn't ever intended. If they made it so drops could be sold, nobody would do the content.

Spiritbond your gear in all your AK runs? Buy rare crafting mats with Philosophy and sell them on the markets (coke, peacock ore, etc.) they sell for 50~100k each, though I'm not sure how quickly. Other than that, you won't survive without adapting so your only other option is to move along at this point. Any change that actually happens will not be terribly soon or incredibly effective.
    (0)
    Last edited by Synfrag; 09-19-2013 at 03:24 AM.

Player
    Character
    Aquel Kuran
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Reading a lot of posts in this thread and most are confused about generating Gil and exchanging Gil.

Generating Gil is money made in the game itself, through FATES, Levemetes, Guild Hests etc...

Exchanging Gil is selling mats on the MB, selling items from dungeons on the MB, basically exchanging anything that you have for Gil for another person... if there are no "real" ways to generate brand new Gil into the game the economy will crash.

NPCs in dungeons and in the world, at least the humanoid ones should drop GIL. Running level 50 dungeons to find a treasure coffer with Allagan Bronze pieces will just cover your repair bill for that dungeon.

The OP has updated his post to provide a good number of ideas as well, but now we just need SQENIX to see and implement them.
    (2)
    Aquel Kuran - White Mage | Zalera | Final Fantasy 14
    Ahrek Kuran - Sith Sorcerer | The Ebon Hawk | Star Wars the Old Republic
    Qwenya - Sorcerer | Tiamat | Aion

Player
    Character
    Portfolio Moa
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 33
    Quote Originally Posted by texhnolyze View Post
    because that's the mmo-mentality today
    And I think thats why many MMOs fail these days. People grind as fast as possible and side activities aren't interesting. So people get bored really quick and leave the game, because dungeon grinding and earning no gil while doing that is no fun at the end.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Diamond Lex
    World
    Ultima
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Orsnoire View Post
    As others have noted, the majority of those who are claiming there isn't a problem are those assuming that the current state of revenue in the economy is the permanent state of revenue. Hint: it's not. For macroeconomics, money supply can be dumbed down/oversimplified to the following equation:

[Revenue in] - [Expenses out] = Money supply

The thing is, for an economy to work (i.e. I get a reward for doing my job - in this case my DoH - so I continue to do my job, and in turn others can benefit or profit from me doing my job, who provide benefits for others who benefit from doing their jobs, etc. etc. and down the line), an economy must have a healthy money supply that at least stays constant overall, and more often needs one that increases (due to the natural tendency of some players in the economy to sit on their money and refuse to spend it, thereby acting as an additional expense to the economy).

The issue in this game is that we currently have an absurdly inflated [Revenue in] number. This is due to most people sitting on the gil they earned from completing first time rewards, quests, and the main story. This number is not only going to taper off, it's going to be nearly completely eliminated over time (other than the minor influx of new players, we'll be LIBERAL and claim that's going to generate 5% of what it does now).

In the current economy, as anyone who spends a significant of time on the market wards can clearly see, the money supply is decreasing, producing the deflationary pressure that many have noted. You can see this at all levels of sales, where something that was selling for 100 gil last week is now selling for 50 gil (simplified example). This suggests that IN ITS CURRENT STATE, our [Revenue in] is ALREADY lower than our [Expenses out] in the economy. Considering that we are still experiencing the absurdly inflated [Revenue in] stat, the current deflation is an exceptionally bad sign for the game's economy.

So yeah, those naysayers claiming there is no problem, you couldn't be more wrong. Just because it doesn't look to you like there's a problem now, those of us who've been around the block and also understand macroeconomics can clearly see the writing on the wall. The [Revenue in] needs dramatic improvement if we're to have a vibrant, functioning economy (and for these same dunce naysayers to continue making their gil by selling on the market wards, ironically).

Using this quote as a perfect example of how people don't understand the market forces at work. The prices people set and buy in the market wards are based on what actually sells, not on what something should be ideally. The simple reality is, there's less demand for Silver Rings than there is for Silver Ingots. Result: Silver Rings have a {currently} lower price, due to there being more supply than the market can support at the higher price. Really not that hard to figure out. This pricing scheme where people price stuff where it will actually sell is exacerbated by the 40 posting limit per character, thus providing a real incentive to ensure that one's prices match the market.

By stating that the prices make absolutely no sense to you, you (and by proxy those others who post that there isn't a problem) simply expose the fact that you don't understand the economic principles and forces at play, and therefore have no authority to make the claims that there is no problem.

TL;DR: the fact that there is serious deflation going on in the game right now should be causing alarm, since people only recently completed the ginormous gil fountain that is the primary story questline. If it's not alarming to you, you don't understand macroeconomic principles, plain and simple.
    Amen. +1 to every single word.
    (2)

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast