Character
    Radok Vagrant
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

Spell Speed...Not so fast!

Hello everyone!
    I come here to ask for everyone's opinion on this subject and hopefully get some answers. I have been playing for a while as a White Mage and I noticed a few odd things about Spell Speed.

1st. It seems that your Base Spell Speed(Meaning the one you have without gear) does not affect the cast time/re-cast time at all. My Lvl 39 Conjurer without any gear(Except Staff) has 236 Spell Speed and a Lvl 1 Conjurer has 56 Spell Speed. While the Spell Speed difference is pretty big the skills all have the same cast time/re-cast time. For example, Cure has 2.00 Cast Time and a 2.50 Re-Cast time on both characters.

2nd. The amount of cast time reduction that you get from Spell Speed seems to be pretty bad at the moment. With 47 Bonus Spell Speed from gear, a spell like Cure only goes down to a 1.96 Cast time, which in my opinion is pretty bad.

Would like to know what you guys think of this?

Thank you for your time, Radok Vagrant.
    (4)
    Last edited by Radok; 09-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Player
    Character
    Alkimi Asura
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    I'm going to guess that spell speed isn't that useful as it stands, but it will become more relevant as better gear is introduced and the level cap is increased. It seems to be a stat with increasing returns the higher you get but as it stands we just can't get enough of it to make huge difference.

Perhaps someone with lv70 HQ crafted gear who has crammed as much as they can on in materia can give a better indication if it's even worth it at this point.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ranis Spielen
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 49
    I thought spell speed affects your global cooldown, which isn't necessarily related to your individual spell casts or recasts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tercino Lascaille
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    People have done tests on spell speed and skill speed that show that they categorically are not worth it if you have to make a choice between it and almost anything else.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Evangela Monterossa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    SE couldn't care less about mages. I'm not surprise that the game mechanic for mages are broken, mage equipment look terrible, they treat mage players like second grade customers.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ein Vaer
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangela View Post
    SE couldn't care less about mages. I'm not surprise that the game mechanic for mages are broken, mage equipment look terrible, they threat mage players like second grade customers.
    Wat

_____
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Kanikou Escaflowne
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaer View Post
    Wat

_____
    She was like that all of 1.0 yet still played mage classes, don't mind her. Basically Skill/Spell speed doesn't really do much unless you pile it on and yes the base does attribute into it, but it won't be truly noticeable until SE give players access to Haste.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuldin View Post
    I thought spell speed affects your global cooldown, which isn't necessarily related to your individual spell casts or recasts.
    It effects Spell cast time and recast time (recast time being your GCD delay for normal spells, so essentially yes it effects your GCD).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Radok Vagrant
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Mike out!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Edda Menubrea
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Here's a spreadsheet on the effects of skill/spell speed. This is not my work.

Skill/spell speed
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast